Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] French league 1 abandoned

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I didn't know that about the tests. But if they were accurate, wouldn't the basis of the FIFA guy's argument be wrong?

Wonder how much influence his words will have when the decision is made in Germany on Thursday. I guess everyone is quietly hoping permission will be granted and the Bundesliga will become the testbed for European leagues.

The Liga pres has just come out with a contradictory argument saying that training now is the way forward. But he gave his game away by then rattling on, somewhat recklessly and dramatically, about how football is an economic driver, clubs will go out of business without an imminent restart etc etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From what I’ve read, the tests give a false negative in about 30% of cases. That is a huge error rate. The tests may be improving, but they need to get A LOT better before you could start playing contact sports whilst reliant on test results.
The Premier League seems to be in cloud cuckoo land!

As far as I was a aware there is doubt over that figure....and if it was actually the case....will you be allowing doctors and nurses who have been tested to be allowed to return to work etc etc

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
Bit of out of the box thinking.... but what about voiding this season, and starting again fresh next season but with this seasons points total and goal difference instead of 0?

Would give everyone the advantage/disadvantage they deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I've said from the outset, stop the season now.

Award Liverklopp the title and promote all the teams in automatic promotion places in the other leagues, but don't relegate anyone.

Then relegate one extra team over the next two seasons to restore the Leagues to their current size.
Cannot do that - so unjust for those teams close to promotion places. The only clear decision would be Liverpool winning the pl title, nothing else can be determined fairly.

Void it - no fans means no finish as far as I'm concerned

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Considering our position and coming matches, im all for abandoning tbh

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
All European countries will follow suit, abandonment. No football for at least a year.

Players insurers will put a spanner in the works, no player will be insured against contracting Coronavirus, let that sink in..:shrug:

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Lost all interest in season 19/20. If it wasn't for the money I would say cancel 20/21 now and finish current season when it's righr health wise with crowds in attendance, if room prevails fill in the blanks with enhanced league and FA cups and maybe more until it is right to start again

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Ligue 1: Paris St-Germain awarded French title as season finished early

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52484926

Paris St-Germain have been awarded the Ligue 1 title after it was announced the season would not resume because of the coronavirus pandemic.
PSG were 12 points clear at the top of the table, with a game in hand, when French football was suspended indefinitely on 13 March.

The club said they wished to dedicate the title "to healthcare staff and all the everyday heroes on the front line".
PSG chairman and CEO Nasser Al-Khelaifi added that French essential workers' "commitment and self-sacrifice over many weeks have earned our deepest admiration".
He continued: "We understand, respect and support the decisions taken by the French Government to end the championship. Health, as the government has always said, must be everyone's priority.
"In these difficult times, I hope that this trophy will bring a little happiness and hope to all our supporters, and I am grateful to them for their unwavering support which helps drive Paris St-Germain forward."
Before the government's intervention, French football's governing body had been hoping to resume the season on 17 June.
PSG have been awarded the title on a points-per-game basis, while Lorient have been crowned Ligue 2 champions on the same principle.
They were just one point above Lens when the season was suspended and both teams will be promoted.
Amiens and Toulouse will be relegated from Ligue 1.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Ligue 1: Paris St-Germain awarded French title as season finished early

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52484926

Paris St-Germain have been awarded the Ligue 1 title after it was announced the season would not resume because of the coronavirus pandemic.
PSG were 12 points clear at the top of the table, with a game in hand, when French football was suspended indefinitely on 13 March.

The club said they wished to dedicate the title "to healthcare staff and all the everyday heroes on the front line".
PSG chairman and CEO Nasser Al-Khelaifi added that French essential workers' "commitment and self-sacrifice over many weeks have earned our deepest admiration".
He continued: "We understand, respect and support the decisions taken by the French Government to end the championship. Health, as the government has always said, must be everyone's priority.
"In these difficult times, I hope that this trophy will bring a little happiness and hope to all our supporters, and I am grateful to them for their unwavering support which helps drive Paris St-Germain forward."
Before the government's intervention, French football's governing body had been hoping to resume the season on 17 June.
PSG have been awarded the title on a points-per-game basis, while Lorient have been crowned Ligue 2 champions on the same principle.
They were just one point above Lens when the season was suspended and both teams will be promoted.
Amiens and Toulouse will be relegated from Ligue 1.

Happy for Lorient too, I watched them back in February. Only 5 euros a ticket, they beat Le Mans 4-2

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
All European countries will follow suit, abandonment. No football for at least a year.

Players insurers will put a spanner in the works, no player will be insured against contracting Coronavirus, let that sink in..:shrug:

Are you talking about life insurance? Surely not true. The policies won't specify that it has to be a particular cause of death.

In terms of some sort of injury / illness insurance they might have, then yes they are more likely, but not certain, to have lists of illnesses or injuries that are covered.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Want to know if Toulouse are going to escape relegation. They're 17 points off safety, haven't won in 19 and have a -36 goal difference. Their president is threatening legal action if they're relegated, saying it would be an "abuse of power". They'd have needed at least six wins from their final ten games, assuming none of the four teams above them were playing each other more than once.

In NL, it looks like De Graafschap (second in eerste divisie) are going to sue the league. One of their rival supporters clubs has responded by sending them some sausage and mustard in the post.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Want to know if Toulouse are going to escape relegation. They're 17 points off safety, haven't won in 19 and have a -36 goal difference. Their president is threatening legal action if they're relegated, saying it would be an "abuse of power". They'd have needed at least six wins from their final ten games, assuming none of the four teams above them were playing each other more than once.

In NL, it looks like De Graafschap (second in eerste divisie) are going to sue the league. One of their rival supporters clubs has responded by sending them some sausage and mustard in the post.

Confirmed in the report: "Amiens and Toulouse will be relegated from Ligue 1."

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Lyon now suing for millions as they've been excluded from any European cups in 2021.
Money, it's just money and at some point fans are going to get fed up with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here