Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free Tickets X3 For Burnley (with conditions)

kingstn seagull

Sep 4, 2007
YORKSHARE
Slightly off topic but is anyone travelling over from Leeds / West Yorkshire. The trains seem to be a nightmare, does anyone know the best way get there without a car?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
People that see this as in anyway a good thing probably watch football the way TV companies think we do... On a sofa with the wife celebrating goals by "our team" wearing generic coloured shirts in the team's colours.

What a steaming pile of Hotspurs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, what happened? Did anyone sit there? Did they get BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOED?

The Sky cameras went nowhere near it. Please tell me that's because someone sprayed 'COCK SUCK PISS PARTRIDGE' on the wall?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Well, what happened? Did anyone sit there? Did they get BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOED?

The Sky cameras went nowhere near it. Please tell me that's because someone sprayed 'COCK SUCK PISS PARTRIDGE' on the wall?

Never saw it from inside the away end. Did Sky bottle it in the end?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sky removed the tweet - I assume as they got a lot of negative feedback. Delighted it didn't happen tbh, although it wouldn't have been anything to do with us as such, we'd have been associated!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Great work, everyone. The relentless abuse and piss taking evidently worked.

Perhaps they finally realised the sheer, shameless irony of them trying to portray themselves as the TV company of the fans, weeks after royally shafting the very same fans by shifting kick off from a 3pm Saturday to a 1:15pm Sunday time.

Glad their idea went tits up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As much as this was a shìt idea and no-one likes the way Sky behave, isn't it down to the League to put some conditions on when the television companies can move games, and perhaps a cap on the number of times a team can feature on TV (perhaps excluding the final 4 or 5 games of the season)? Yes, it might reduce the value of TV contracts, but maybe that is a price worth paying?

I just feel that Sky - as a business that has pumped millions into the sport (admittedly for for their own ends) - are getting slaughtered by fans, but the FL are getting off very lightly indeed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Perhaps they finally realised the sheer, shameless irony of them trying to portray themselves as the TV company of the fans, weeks after royally shafting the very same fans by shifting kick off from a 3pm Saturday to a 1:15pm Sunday time.

This.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I sort of agree.

However there were (tens of?) thousands of people across Sussex and beyond who were able to watch a game in the pub with mates, at home with family or on their laptop on a dodgy stream, all of which were possible due to Sky televising the game.

A few hundred people didn't travel who were going to do so on the Saturday and some would have lost out on rail fare spend, certainly, but for many thousands of others it all worked out quite conveniently.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I sort of agree.

However there were (tens of?) thousands of people across Sussex and beyond who were able to watch a game in the pub with mates, at home with family or on their laptop on a dodgy stream, all of which was possible due to Sky televising the game.

A few hundred people didn't travel who were going to do so and some would have lost out on rail fare spend, certainly, but for many thousands of others it all worked out quite conveniently.

Fair point.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[tweet]667742048527720448[/tweet]

Glad to hear this PATHETIC idea was binned off. Did my bit :)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I sort of agree.

However there were (tens of?) thousands of people across Sussex and beyond who were able to watch a game in the pub with mates, at home with family or on their laptop on a dodgy stream, all of which were possible due to Sky televising the game.

A few hundred people didn't travel who were going to do so on the Saturday and some would have lost out on rail fare spend, certainly, but for many thousands of others it all worked out quite conveniently.

I don't think the ideas are mutually exclusive. Watching the game on telly shouldn't have procluded anyone from identifying and decrying this particular slice of hypocrisy.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Sky removed the tweet - I assume as they got a lot of negative feedback. Delighted it didn't happen tbh, although it wouldn't have been anything to do with us as such, we'd have been associated!

When I looked at that tweet on friday there were lots of replies, not one was positive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't think the ideas are mutually exclusive. Watching the game on telly shouldn't have procluded anyone from identifying and decrying this particular slice of hypocrisy.

I guess the point some of us missed out on was grouping Sky Sports and Sky Bet together, although they clearly are closely affiliated.

Sky Sports saying "Making away days better" is clearly ridiculous by any measure.
Sky Bet saying "Make away days better" is less ridiculous, i.e. sit at home and have a punt on the game.

The problem we all acknowledge is when games are re-scheduled for television that causes fans who have made arrangements, often in the form of advance rail tickets, to lose out and/or travelling fans to deal with troublesome (or downright impossible) travel.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I guess the point some of us missed out on was grouping Sky Sports and Sky Bet together, although they clearly are closely affiliated.

Sky Sports saying "Making away days better" is clearly ridiculous by any measure.
Sky Bet saying "Make away days better" is less ridiculous, i.e. sit at home and have a punt on the game.

The problem we all acknowledge is when games are re-scheduled for television that causes fans who have made arrangements, often in the form of advance rail tickets, to lose out and/or travelling fans to deal with troublesome (or downright impossible) travel.

Yeah that's a fair point. I have to admit to merging the two in my mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here