Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fraser Forster as a Matt Ryan replacement?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think we're absolutely fine with Matt Ryan. And to be honest I think the notion of replacing him is a bit bizarre at the moment. Clearly our biggest problem this season has been scoring goals.
For me replacing Ryan at the moment has two big problems;
1. It does nothing to address our goal scoring problem. For the sake of argument and taking out all constraints etc, if we signed De Gea tomorrow we would still struggle to score goals.

2. Because Matt Ryan is a very good keeper, if you want to replace him with someone better you would have to spend a fortune. This would decrease the amount of money we have available to address our goal scoring problems, which surely is the priority.

Yep, this.

We need to focus on where we need to improve first and foremost but if a keeper better than Ryan is available at a price that doesn't disrupt those plans, go for it, but Forster isn't that. Defensively, we're actually relatively sound, it's the transition from midfield to attack that lacks any real "zip"

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ryan first choice, Walton as back-up and competition. Why splash out on another GK when we have a perfectly good one waiting in the wings?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ryan first choice, Walton as back-up and competition. Why splash out on another GK when we have a perfectly good one waiting in the wings?

I don't prescribe to the popular theory that Ryan will become a better keeper if his understudy is better. It's implying that he's not putting in 100% effort, which I don't believe for one second. Nearly every club has an back-up keeper who is an experienced pro that you can rely on to do a job in the unusual event of your number 1 not being available. It'd be a waste of Walton's season to have him sat on the bench.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't prescribe to the popular theory that Ryan will become a better keeper if his understudy is better. It's implying that he's not putting in 100% effort, which I don't believe for one second. Nearly every club has an back-up keeper that is an experienced pro that you can rely on to do a job in the unusual event of your number 1 not being available. It'd be a waste of Walton's season to have him sat on the bench.

In which case we need to ask the question of why we're keeping hold of him if he's apparently never going to break into the first team squad?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In which case we need to ask the question of why we're keeping hold of him if he's apparently never going to break into the first team squad?

Probably to manage his development him until he is good enough. That's one for the scouts and coaching staff to assess.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

How do we know if Walton is ‘perfectly good’ as back up or competition for Ryan? He’s never played in the Premier League and has been decidedly average in the Championship, he’s not someone I’d be super confident in.
If Potter is planning somewhat of an overhaul, with Murray, Stephens, March and Duffy edging near to the exit I wouldn’t be surprised if a new keeper was on the cards. I like Ryan, I think he’s done well for us but too often he lets in goals that I think were perhaps avoidable. A particular weakness I feel he has is that he’s susceptible to being beaten at his near post, maybe I’m being overly critical but I’ve seen an few fly in at the near post I can’t help thinking most keepers would have made routine saves there.

Last edited:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Tom Pope was poor in the Championship for Charlton, he got picked up by Burnley in a nice cheap deal similar to our snapping up Jason Steele from Sunderland. Heaton was their first choice unquestionably but his injury opened the door for Pope, who has gone on to become a top Premier League goalkeeper and it's between him and Dean Henderson to be England's number 1 goalkeeper.

I would bring Walton back in and if Ryan performs in the last 3 games the way he has in the last 5/6 games then I'd have no problem seeing him on the bench to start next season. He's not been very good at saving shots, the job of a goalkeeper, and has been awful with his distribution. He's been casually kicking the ball off the pitch time and time again. The goals we have been conceding have been soft.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Clearly an ABM thread (anyone but Maty).

The lengths some 'supporters' will go to shit on the team they support never ceases to amaze me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh one other point on Fraser Forster. he signed a five year deal at Saints, which runs to July 2022, and is widely reported to be worth £80k a week...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

The lengths some 'supporters' will go to shit on the team they support never ceases to amaze me.

:yawn:

Why can’t ‘supporters’ have a discussion about our players without people like you having to be offended. And why do you feel the need to do the whole ‘supporters’ thing anyway? Nobody is trying to ‘shit on the team’ , it’s a thread about maybe looking at upgrading a player, why you feel the need to poke your overactive beak into every single thread never ceases to amaze me.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Definitely not. I think Ryan is a better keeper despite some not so good performances recently he has been solid over the last 3 seasons and vital to us. He does need some competition which is why i'd bring Walton in to give him a chance at challenging for the gloves.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

You mean like how you were recently slagging off Solly?

So it’s ok when you’re critical. I see.

Get over this. Football fans for all clubs everywhere have opinions on players. You ever been to a game? Been to a pub afterwards? You hear far worse said there then you do here on NSC.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
:yawn:

Why can’t ‘supporters’ have a discussion about our players without people like you having to be offended. And why do you feel the need to do the whole ‘supporters’ thing anyway? Nobody is trying to ‘shit on the team’ , it’s a thread about maybe looking at upgrading a player, why you feel the need to poke your overactive beak into every single thread never ceases to amaze me.

Because maybe we do it all the time...

Ryan is too small and only saves shots hit at him (bollox)
Stephens can only pass backwards
Gross is too slow
Bernardo is shit
Bong was shit
Maupay was shit (now everyone likes him)

I could go on, but like this threads criticising players and quite frankly replacing them with inferior players are just relentlessly boring too...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Forster was terrible at Southampton. Utterly shambolic.

'Universally loved"? The Saints fans talk of him like we talk of Wayne Henderson.

Wayne Henderson? he's worse than that, more Graeme Smith material surely?

Seriously, l'm in complete agreement tht Maty needs a more experienced keeper as a number two to keep him on his toes, but Forster really isn't the answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here