Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Franz Beckenbauer

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Euro72 and WC74 winning captain. Not to mention two Ballon d’Ors with Bayern, one of the greatest German footballers of all time

A true great

RIP
That would also be three consecutive European Cups with Bayern too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP

A giant in the footballing world

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm old enough to remember him at his best. He was the epitome of the really really top class players who seem to have so much time on a football pitch. RIP

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
'Der Kaiser' was a magnificent footballer.

I recall a game at The Goldstone (friendly?) when Mullers was waxing lyrical over another Rolls Royce performance from Lawro.

Something on the lines of 'As good as Beckenbauer'. A great compliment.
Franz was a top, top player.

RIP
You reading that Harty
Anyway RIP The Kaiser alrhough you broke my heart as a 10 year old in 1970.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A true great, RIP THe Kaiser.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I've always liked the story from the 1974 World Cup Final where referee Jack Taylor awards the Dutch a penalty after 80 seconds and the West German players remonstrate and he waves them away and with the ball on the spot Beckenbauer says to him: 'Taylor, you're an Englishman.'

RIP to one of the true all time greats.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
RIP. The '66 WC final was the first ever game of football I watched from start to finish and he was the only German player I remember from the game. Main thing I think I remember him for was playing with his arm in a sling for some or most of the '70 WC semi final v Italy.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Although banded about too easily today, Beckenbauer was a world class player. and a joy yo watch.

RIP

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The greatest German footballer of all-time. R.I.P Der Kaiser.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Two of the three men to win the World Cup as a player and a manager died at the weekend :cry:

I played golf with Beckenbauer by chance near Salzburg about 15 years ago. He was absolutely delightful company - charming to everyone he came across, answered every fanboy question I asked (especially interested in his year in Marseille and his time in New York) and then insisted I had lunch with him afterwards. Lovely fellow.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
JPR Williams has passed away today too..two giants of their respective games

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not sure if this is true but I think now is the time to tell this... I heard that in the twilight of his career he was playing for New York Cosmos and they were losing.....the club president randomly down to the manager in the dugout and said " Tell Beckenbauer to get up front and score some goals . .I'm not paying him this money to fanny about at the back ! "

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here