Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Franz Beckenbauer

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
'Der Kaiser' was a magnificent footballer.

I recall a game at The Goldstone (friendly?) when Mullers was waxing lyrical over another Rolls Royce performance from Lawro.

Something on the lines of 'As good as Beckenbauer'. A great compliment.
Franz was a top, top player.

RIP

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Another of the legends gone. Only 78....wow. As I said on another post 2024 has certainly got off to a flyer.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One of the few German players ever to be better than Pascal Gross!

But being old enough to have watched and appreciated the ‘66 World Cup, and plenty of others since, one realises what a giant of the game he was - one of the all-time greats. It genuinely makes me feel sad to hear this.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
RIP

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One of the few German players ever to be better than Pascal Gross!

But being old enough to have watched and appreciated the ‘66 World Cup, and plenty of others since, one realises what a giant of the game he was - one of the all-time greats. It genuinely makes me feel sad to hear this.
I would say the only German to be better than Pascal Gross, but then I'm biased!

But yes, agreed, one of the greatest players of all time. RIP.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Jeez. That’s a bit of a shock. Yes a bit dodgy but still the only man ever to win the World Cup as a player and a nanager, then also to organise a World Cup. Huge figure. Wish I’d seen more of him as a player.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Whilst too young to have watched him as a player, I fell in love with football during the 1990 World Cup so he is a huge figure to me as the manager of that winning West German side. And then everything I've read about him since sounds like I would have loved him as a player. His involvement with Bayern over the last few decades has been massive too.

An absolute giant of the game. RIP.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Apparently he nearly signed for Munich 1860 as a kid but they roughed him up when he tried out for them so he thought “sod this lot” and signed for the upstarts of Bayern instead. The two clubs were competing on fairly level terms in those days; due in no small part to his contribution that is no longer the case, to put it mildly.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"In 1966, after scoring goals in the quarter- and semi-finals, there was a worry - it is often forgotten - about whether he would be banned from the final because of a second booking. The Germans won a case of mistaken identity and their manager, Helmut Schön, hailed his young midfielder as "one of the greatest talents of Europe", which made it all the more disappointing that he should then be restricted to a marking job on Bobby Charlton; Beckenbauer said he was amused to learn years later that Alf Ramsey had instructed Charlton to do the same to him, with the net result that each cancelled out the other."

It's somehow all the more poignant that both Bobby and Franz have passed within such a short time of each other.

I'd like to think that they're keeping an eye on each other even now with the mutual appreciation that comes with true greatness.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Euro72 and WC74 winning captain. Not to mention two Ballon d’Ors with Bayern, one of the greatest German footballers of all time

A true great

RIP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here