Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Frank Lampard’s Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Just heading off to my local dump in London. I am fully expecting Todd to be there, putting half the Chelsea squad in the non-recyclable containers!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Have we covered the fact that, just a minute or two after Enciso's goal - when thinks got a bit mad - Welbeck went down for a LONG time?

I'd put money on that being gamesmanship, to allow everyone to calm down. It was definitely needed.
A bit yes - well strapped up afterwards though (although that doesn't necessarily mean anything.....)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah but that's to be expected and something you already defend against by getting the ball back as soon as you can by pressing very intensely and high up the pitch. What I'm referring to is not fast transitions (you're improving in those and your defenders have become very good 1v1) but rather rare spells of the game when the other team has most of the ball and you sit deeper. Like the end of this match. Those are not expected in your plan, and as a matter of fact De Zerbi said he didn't like those final 10 minutes because you sat too deep and that's not a style you train, and so it's not a situation in which you play well and it becomes paradoxically even riskier for you than pressing with a high defense. That's what I mean when saying that you don't have a very precise plan for defending in your own area, but De Zerbi already addressed it after the match by saying you shouldn't find yourselves in that position in the first place, at least not for as long as you were today at the end.
I know De Zerbi didn't like it, but unless you're Man City (I know we're good, but we're not City) then oppositions are going to get some spells in the game, and you have to be able to defend against them. I'm not sure it's realistic to be able to play 90 mins each week without having to get 11 behind the ball and defend sometimes. If De Zerbi can prove that wrong, we're even better than I thought.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What I love about these (and I really like this guy actually) is that they compliment us on how well we are run, but there's this sense they feel that Boehly will suddenly turn it around. They're nuts. They're literally saying Brighton are a well run club from top to bottom, Chelsea are not. But at the same time expecting it to change. Guys, do you not get it? Your owner is a lunatic. He's the absolute opposite of ours. You're absolutely f***ed until someone else buys your club. Doesn't matter who you sign, who's your manager. You know- it comes from the top, and your top is absolutely loco.
While it would be nice if you're right, wasn't Abramovich similar? He got them results, but he was changing manager every year and it somehow worked despite the owner.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My lad was with the homers again. The helmets are pissed off with Boley. They aren't impressed with him appointing FCFL to keep them happy and believe he is shite, and will be why Everton go down. They weren't happy that he didn't put RJ on KM. They also aren't convinced that Enreeckay is the answer as the squad won't be able to play his way. You gotta laugh.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I know De Zerbi didn't like it, but unless you're Man City (I know we're good, but we're not City) then oppositions are going to get some spells in the game, and you have to be able to defend against them. I'm not sure it's realistic to be able to play 90 mins each week without having to get 11 behind the ball and defend sometimes. If De Zerbi can prove that wrong, we're even better than I thought.
Yeah I think so as well, that's why I said you might want to improve in knowing how to position in those situations. It's absolutely normal for a team to not be able to play every possible style of play perfectly, but you can always improve and that defensive structure when you were sitting deep was quite holey (though obviously fatigue might have also played a part)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah I think so as well, that's why I said you might want to improve in knowing how to position in those situations. It's absolutely normal for a team to not be able to play every possible style of play perfectly, but you can always improve and that defensive structure when you were sitting deep was quite holey (though obviously fatigue might have also played a part)

Yep, I have no doubt that we could do with improving defensively and letting in fewer goals. We have let in a fair number. Easier said than done though.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I’ve woken up a bit dazed this morning. I honestly don’t think that anyone, anywhere is playing better football than us atm.

There are teams who have more superstars, teams who have more money, and plenty of teams where the expectations are higher. Nobody playing better football than us though. It blows my tiny mind.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
While it would be nice if you're right, wasn't Abramovich similar? He got them results, but he was changing manager every year and it somehow worked despite the owner.
I think the difference is that Abramovic was unapologetically Abramovic. He seemed to have a coherent plan.
Boehly came in suggesting the opposite, and has now reverted to Abramovic with an almost Trumpian addiction to social media, limelight and fake tan.
Reckon this circus will play on a lot longe yet.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Such a shame Kepa saved Mitoma’s effort at the end of that mazy run. Would have been a real goal of the season contender.
:love:
It was a great run and I understand why he did shoot after that but watching the replay, he really should have squared it. We had about three players who would have had a tap in.

Which again highlights how ambitious and impressive we are and why we’re scoring so many goals to have that many players bursting into the box at pace.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was a great run and I understand why he did shoot after that but watching the replay, he really should have squared it. We had about three players who would have had a tap in.

We've often missed opportunities because we've tried to walk it in. I thought he was close enough to shoot and if he tries to lay it off he runs the risk of someone getting a tackle in.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
We've often missed opportunities because we've tried to walk it in. I thought he was close enough to shoot and if he tries to lay it off he runs the risk of someone getting a tackle in.
Oh yes I know what you mean and it’s not really a criticism as 99% of players would have shot there, I was just impressed we had that many players up alongside him to have the opportunity to pass to them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh yes I know what you mean and it’s not really a criticism as 99% of players would have shot there, I was just impressed we had that many players up alongside him to have the opportunity to pass to them.
Yes it was the number of players we had up with the play that impressed me too. Never mind that Mitoma had the shot he was entitled to take, there was every chance that the keeper parries it into the path of one of three Albion shirts rampaging into the box to tap in the rebound. Not this time sadly, but on another day...

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Used to think that about Liam, then Biss.
But Moises is another level
Didn’t we have Caicedo and Bissouma in the same team for a few months. What a midfield that was. Hopefully we have already identified a replacement for Caicedo when the offers come flooding in again.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Yes it was the number of players we had up with the play that impressed me too. Never mind that Mitoma had the shot he was entitled to take, there was every chance that the keeper parries it into the path of one of three Albion shirts rampaging into the box to tap in the rebound. Not this time sadly, but on another day...
Sunday hopefully 😄

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here