Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth season and transport, catering issues are still not sorted!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
To a certain extent - yes. After all beer is much cheaper in supermarkets because they aren't providing you with glasses and somewhere nice to drink it. And neither are the football club as the draughty concrete concourses would have to be there whether there were bars there or not.

Well the Club are never going to please some people. The concourses have decent screens, showing multiple channels (including subscription live games, pre and post match, bus and train times after the match), they are a place to stand and discuss the match and catch up with people, they show interesting and varied local artwork, they are big enough not to feel cramped, they provide a reasonable option of drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, both hot and cold, range of food, including award winning pies - plus crisps and chocolate bars for those that want them. In the East Lower they often provide pre-match stuff for kids. They are not perfect - but it is more than "draughty concrete".

I do not know what else you want. When your local supermarket provides that you can start comparing prices.

Selling Harveys at a vastly-inflated price may well result in a few scratchers like me dipping out, but this will be more than compensated for by the overall increased revenue from the ones who don't care

You don't seem to know how I think at all. I care about the price. I just do not think the current price of Harveys is a stick to beat the club with. The Club could have gone with Carling - then we would all really would have something to moan about. Shite expensive beer. But we can drink our local beer - that many people would choose at their local if it was available. Every two weeks I am asked to pay more than I am down my local. Same as I would if I went up to town.

I bought three pints on Saturday - a Harveys, a Fosters (I think) and a Guinness. I was charged just over £12. I am not going to start crying about that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well the Club are never going to please some people. The concourses have decent screens, showing multiple channels (including subscription live games, pre and post match, bus and train times after the match), they are a place to stand and discuss the match and catch up with people, they show interesting and varied local artwork, they are big enough not to feel cramped, they provide a reasonable option of drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, both hot and cold, range of food, including award winning pies - plus crisps and chocolate bars for those that want them. In the East Lower they often provide pre-match stuff for kids. They are not perfect - but it is more than "draughty concrete".

I do not know what else you want. When your local supermarket provides that you can start comparing prices.

You don't seem to know how I think at all. I care about the price. I just do not think the current price of Harveys is a stick to beat the club with. The Club could have gone with Carling - then we would all really would have something to moan about. Shite expensive beer. But we can drink our local beer - that many people would choose at their local if it was available. Every two weeks I am asked to pay more than I am down my local. Same as I would if I went up to town.

I bought three pints on Saturday - a Harveys, a Fosters (I think) and a Guinness. I was charged just over £12. I am not going to start crying about that.
They ARE concrete! The snug bar of the Dog and Duck they are not. And I do think, like 'booking fees', the price of the beer is legitimate stick with which to beat the club (even if they do no longer care about the transport plan); I resent being taken for a mug to be fleeced for every penny. You patently don't think like that, so fine. The upshot for me is that having been proud that we served our local beers and local pies instead of the standard slop I now no longer care what they serve. If the club think they can make more money by chucking out the Harveys and Piglets and replacing them with John Smiths and Pukka Pies then, again, fine. I won't complain.

And despite my tone I don't really 'mind'. I never used to eat and drink regularly at football and I won't do so again. It's not a problem.

EDIT: And my supermarket provides free parking! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
They ARE concrete! The snug bar of the Dog and Duck they are not.

Closer to the Snug than the supermarket. Not that they are trying to be the snug.

I resent being taken for a mug to be fleeced for every penny. You patently don't think like that, so fine.

I would resent being fleeced for every penny. But on an occasional basis to enjoy a pint with friends I am prepared to pay more for a pint that I would otherwise. Same as I would had we met at a pub up in town. You may think that makes me a mug - but unsurprisingly I disagree.

The upshot for me is that having been proud that we served our local beers and local pies instead of the standard slop I now no longer care what they serve. If the club think they can make more money by chucking out the Harveys and Piglets and replacing them with John Smiths and Pukka Pies then, again, fine. I won't complain.

And despite my tone I don't really 'mind'. I never used to eat and drink regularly at football and I won't do so again. It's not a problem.

We are all different. I never used to eat and drink regularly at football either. And I still don't regularly eat there - them pies are too expensive for me. But win or lose I really enjoy the concourses pre and post match. It is a pleasure seeing the various people that I know through football, and others from school and Rottingdean, in addition to the people I go with. And to do that while being able to have a pint of Harveys ? Excellent. If you prefer to go straight home - that is your choice.

There may be a time when I hit my price barrier - but we are not there yet.

By the by, and not an Albion issue - yet, but I have hit my coffee price barrier. I am not paying more than £3 for a coffee anywhere. How did £3 for a coffee happen ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here