Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FourFourTwo Season Preview

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I think they're about right. I think people are really underestimating how well we've done the last 2 seasons and how tough this league is. 11th wouldn't be a disaster by any means. Of course i hope i'm wrong but somethnig tells methat's where we'll be...

Wouldn't disagree but I think three factors will determine whether we can turn solid mid-table into play-off contention again:

1 How long it takes for Oscar's approach to be consistently delivered by the players. It may take a while for things to click.
2 How many of the DS squad can step up to the plate - pretty convinced there are opportunities for them this season, and the signs look promising from March, Ince and JFC
3 Whether we can land those additional players Oscar has targeted by the end of August. I'd prioritise a left back and Premier striker on loan.

If the above fall into place, I'd have us in the play-off frame. If not, 7th to 12th.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Wouldn't disagree but I think three factors will determine whether we can turn solid mid-table into play-off contention again:

1 How long it takes for Oscar's approach to be consistently delivered by the players. It may take a while for things to click.
2 How many of the DS squad can step up to the plate - pretty convinced there are opportunities for them this season, and the signs look promising from March, Ince and JFC
3 Whether we can land those additional players Oscar has targeted by the end of August. I'd prioritise a left back and Premier striker on loan.

If the above fall into place, I'd have us in the play-off frame. If not, 7th to 12th.

Your three points are very valid ones and will very much influence how we do this season. A top 11 position, where we will hopefully always have a bit of a shout at the play-offs would be okay all things considering. Of course repeat a top 6 finish again and that would be a real bonus.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't realise Charlton were struggling so much financially.

el punal

FourFourTwo predictions for 2012/13 season for the Championship :

1. Bolton
2. Leeds
3. Leicester
4. WOLVES!!
5. Albion
6. Blackburn

Neil Warnock aka. Colin has done a preview of the Championship clubs for this season - reckons that Brighton will not do as well as last season and suggests that Gus took us as far as he could.

A season with no weight of expectation then - that could be good for Oscar and the team, let's hope so.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Neither are proven whatsoever at this level. The fact Calde played a fair bit at LB in pre-season suggests Oscar doesn't have that much faith in them either.

In our 1st season in the Championship, most of our squad weren't proven at this level.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It seems as if all the pundits think we'll finish mid table based on the premise Gus has gone. Predictions can be totally worthless if they are made too early without knowing the full playing strength of each team after all the transfer dealings have been done.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
QPR signing Charlie Austin should, unfortunately, leave them in with a decent shout.

Plus another couple of dozen wheeler dealer signings for their bare bones squad.

Triffic.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Neil Warnock aka. Colin has done a preview of the Championship clubs for this season - reckons that Brighton will not do as well as last season and suggests that Gus took us as far as he could QUOTE]

Singing from the same hymn sheet as Gus then, we'll find out soon enough.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I think it's almost impossible to say where teams will end up. Look at last season, who would have thought Blackburn and wolves would be so poor.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Make sure the Albion kit designers don't see that blue text on black. It'll give them ideas...

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Charlton finished very strongly last season with little investment in the team. Powell seems to be a good manager. They weren't far outside the play-offs.

I'm not sure they're going to improve massively, but there's no reason to suspect they'll struggle.

Lets face it Edna, most teams weren't far off the play-offs! IMO, they over-achieved and although I'm not saying they will struggle, I think they will be bottom half.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Not to fussed what Four-Four-Two or 24-7 Football predict us to be this season. We'll have to prove them wrong in every sense of the word. But I'm sticking with what I said in a previous thread, I think we will fall short and finish 8th.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
WSC has us at 8th in the Championship, and, for what it's worth, Palace finishing ninth in the Premier League.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
....just kidding. Palace were voted, by fans of every team but themself, as the side who will finish last/ bottom, however you want to dress it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here