Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FourFourTwo Season Preview

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
I agree with you about Bolton, however as much as it pains me to say it Doogie is a pretty decent manager, not much change from the end of last season and many would hope that carries on.

Reading however may have been shit last season, however they kept pretty much a championship team and failed to add the real quailty, which they seemed to have done this season, I really cant see past them at the moment and know the league well.

As for us, many people are going to knock our chances from the outside we have a fairly unproven manager, who many and fans, writers and the like will not know much about, so we are an unknown quantity, the same fans, writers etc will have rated Poyet because of his name and previous history in the English game, its very rare a manager is sacked when the club is doing well, so I would say it looks as if we are taking a step backwards. it also took us a while to get Oscar in place and with little transfer activity so far people dont have much to go on. On the inside though things are starting to look positive and we have a solid group of players who can keep us in a steady position for the first few months of the season until we can get fully settled, I reckon we will see some better results than last year but we will be about the same points wise, but not sure that will make 4th this season.
Its basically the same squad as last season (minus Bridge and the rarely spotted Vicente) plus an upgrade on Dicker. The big unknown is Oscar Garcia, but I'm certain that Bloom will have unearthed another gem. I have a feeling we'll be a team that improves as the season progresses.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Its basically the same squad as last season (minus Bridge and the rarely spotted Vicente) plus an upgrade on Dicker. The big unknown is Oscar Garcia, but I'm certain that Bloom will have unearthed another gem. I have a feeling we'll be a team that improves as the season progresses.

And that would be ideal, as that's exactly what you want to be, not one that fades after an explosive start.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think they're about right. I think people are really underestimating how well we've done the last 2 seasons and how tough this league is. 11th wouldn't be a disaster by any means. Of course i hope i'm wrong but somethnig tells methat's where we'll be...

This. I think people are going to realise just how good Poyet was. If Poyet was still at the helm I really do believe we would be going up as champions this year as he improved the team each season. We need to accept that it is going to take a while for OG to get going and stamp his mark- this could be seen as a transition season.

On the other hand, this division is bizarre. Who tipped Wolves to go down last season?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I think they're about right. I think people are really underestimating how well we've done the last 2 seasons and how tough this league is. 11th wouldn't be a disaster by any means. Of course i hope i'm wrong but somethnig tells methat's where we'll be...

I'd agree with that, personally I think we'll be 8th-12th.

Of course, don't expect anything lower than playoffs to be accepted on here...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Losing Bridge is a massive loss and one we've not yet recouped. But Upson and Ulloa were immense for us in the 2nd half of the season, so having those two from the start is a big boost. I'm optimistic we'll be top 6 again.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We have 2 competent left backs.

The left back situation is being completely overhyped.

I agree. I'm much happier starting the season without Bridge but with Upson at centre back and Ulloa upfront than I would be the other way round. Bridge was excellent for us, but left-back is not a key position.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I think half the league will be really strong, much stronger than last season, but the bottom half will be weaker than last season. Last season's Championship was very even, don't think that will be the case again. Who knows what we'll do. It's hard to know just how good the squad is, now that Poyet has gone. How much influence did he have over the players... for example we think Bridcutt is the best defensive midfielder in the league but so far under Oscar he's looked very ordinary indeed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Charlton 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who is this clown!!! They'll be nearer 4th bottom.

Charlton finished very strongly last season with little investment in the team. Powell seems to be a good manager. They weren't far outside the play-offs.

I'm not sure they're going to improve massively, but there's no reason to suspect they'll struggle.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I know this is just being all hot air for the time being, but I really do believe we will be minimum of top 4 again. Simply down to the forward momentum the club and fans have created. Absolutely cannot wait for the first game!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Have they taken an E or something? Anyway who reads 442 these days, bring back the greatest football mag The Onion Bag.

I have all the Onion Bag editions at home. I'm glad others remember it. I loved 90 minutes too.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Charlton finished very strongly last season with little investment in the team. Powell seems to be a good manager. They weren't far outside the play-offs.

I'm not sure they're going to improve massively, but there's no reason to suspect they'll struggle.

There's every reason to suspect we'll struggle. The 442 prediction was probably written at the time the press were talking about a Russian takeover of Charlton. That takeover has since fallen through. Our current owners desperately want to sell - the club owes money to lots of people and up to three ex-executives (CEO, Secretary, Head of Development) are thought to be sueing CAFC for constructive dismissal.

Unless another takeover can be rustled up from somewhere or we get lucky with loans (eg the current Sordell to us rumour), we're in the poop. The season starts in two days and we have only have ONE recognised senior striker on our books at present (Yann Kermorgant) - others like Bradley Wright-Phillips and Ricardo Fuller have buggered off as we can't afford their wages. We also only have ONE goalkeeper. Unless Chris Powell can perform miracles - on a far bigger scale than the late season rally that took us from two points of the bottom four to the top ten last season - relegation is FAR more likely than the play-offs. FACT.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
There's every reason to suspect we'll struggle. The 442 prediction was probably written at the time the press were talking about a Russian takeover of Charlton. That takeover has since fallen through. Our current owners desperately want to sell - the club owes money to lots of people and up to three ex-executives (CEO, Secretary, Head of Development) are thought to be sueing CAFC for constructive dismissal.

Unless another takeover can be rustled up from somewhere or we get lucky with loans (eg the current Sordell to us rumour), we're in the poop. The season starts in two days and we have only have ONE recognised senior striker on our books at present (Yann Kermorgant) - others like Bradley Wright-Phillips and Ricardo Fuller have buggered off as we can't afford their wages. We also only have ONE goalkeeper. Unless Chris Powell can perform miracles - on a far bigger scale than the late season rally that took us from two points of the bottom four to the top ten last season - relegation is FAR more likely than the play-offs. FACT.

The Sordell rumour looks to have substance - he'll probably have a blinder against us on Saturday! So hard to make accurate predictions, but I expect Brighton to be in play offs or just outside, Charlton around 10-13th (taking into account their current staffing problems) and us hopefully 12-15th.

I remember the Onion Bag too - used to buy it in WH Smiths. Cracking read and loads of piss-take. My favourite was the article on foreign players and what they're names meant.

At the garage..'Yes, well I had this 'Popescu' fitted last week and the bloody thing is still misfiring' :lolol:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Bottom three sounds about right, though Donny have made some decent signings so far. Think Ipswich will challenge, as will Notts Forest. Not so sure about Leeds and Charlton..

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here