Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four years ago I stuck my long neck on the line and said we'd win it

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
3 points in the group. Our defence is shocking and I simply cannot see us beating either the Italians or Uraguay.

I'm 48 now. Born in April 1966, my parents sat me up and I watched the World Cup win. Cant recall watching it, but I did. Over the years and especially after the 2006 golden generation hype I have given up any hope of England winning a major tourno again.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Whatever happens it will be more enjoyable than the Sven and Fabio years. I still cannot work out why they were chosen.

Hodgson was my prefered man for the job and I like the selection of new blood in the team, so without building my hopes up I am open to be pleasantly surprised.
TBF Sven in 02 lost out to the best Brazil side in years to that Ronaldinho goal,i would of fancied us v Turkey in the Semi's that year.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What more than when we got knocked out by Germany? The squad is so much better this year.
Yes. Even with that game, we should have gone in at 2-2, with Germany's young squad having squandered a 2-0 lead. Germany were the best counter attacking side that year, so starting the second half behind was disastrous. I don't think our squad is better this year.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
TBF Sven in 02 lost out to the best Brazil side in years to that Ronaldinho goal,i would of fancied us v Turkey in the Semi's that year.
Although I've nothing against Sven generally, that was his fault for not being more adventurous against Nigeria, because we knew finishing as runners up would have us play Brazil in the afternoon sun, whereas we could have met them in an evening game in the semis if we'd won our group. I knew in that game against Nigeria that we'd blown our chances.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
England 1st XI WC 2002: Seaman, Mills, Campbell, Rio, Campbell, Scholes, Butt, J. Cole, Beckham, Owen, Heskey.
England 2nd XI WC 2002: D James, W Brown, Bridge, Keown, Southgate, Dyer, Hargreaves, Vassell, Sinclair, Fowler, Sheringham.
England 1st XI WC 2014: Hart, G Johnson, Baines, Jagielka, Cahill, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Rooney, Sturridge.

Some might say our current 1st XI is no better than Sven's 2nd XI of 12 years ago.

Sven's 1st XI was a much better team than we have now, even allowing for Danny Mills and the fact Gerrard was injured.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I was wrong.

This year, we will get out of the group with five points, win the next round 2-0, win the quarter finals on penalties, Rooooooney, win the semi final in a 4-3 thriller, and then take the world cup home with a 5-0 demolition.

Glory is ours.

[yt]RJqimlFcJsM[/yt]

ahhh Steve Stone immortalised as an England great by that video.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

We lacked any real spirit in all the games and it was probably the dullest England football I have ever watched under his and Fabio’s regime including the qualifying. That’s how I viewed this period.

These videos summed up Sven for me:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Whatever happens it will be more enjoyable than the Sven and Fabio years. I still cannot work out why they were chosen.

2002 WC was great, and it included the 1-5 in qualification. Only thing I hated about the Sven years was how billy big boots England fans got.
The realism of recent years is much better.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The other major factor in my excitement being (probably) the fact that it's hosted by a country with a huge footballing tradition, who are likely to do well themselves (it's all seemed a bit flat in recent years when the hosts have exited major tournaments relatively early- South Africa, Ukraine, Poland, Japan etc).
The joint hosts South Korea made it to the semi-finals however, which I was very pleased with (even if the ref's decisions were a bit dodgy :D). It's a fair point however - obviously the WC atmosphere is enhanced by the hosts staying in as long as possible. Also see the point about being relatively unworried about England adding to the experience (for instance, 1994, when we were completely absent, is one of my favourite World Cups). I still thimk though that the current England team is in a far better position to progress in a tournament than it has been since 1996. Certainly better than 2010.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
2002 WC was great, and it included the 1-5 in qualification. Only thing I hated about the Sven years was how billy big boots England fans got.
The realism of recent years is much better.

Yep that game did give us hope to win the WC, but in hindsight I give more credit to Keegan for that game as it was more like his all out fighting style that rolled over to Svens first game.

We never played anything like that after.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yep that game did give us hope to win the WC, but in hindsight I give more credit to Keegan for that game as it was more like his all out fighting style that rolled over to Svens first game.

We never played anything like that after.

:lolol: seriously?? You're giving Kevin Keegan credit for that. Even he knew he didn't have a clue.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[QUOTE=Giraffe;6399418]I was wrong.

This year, we will get out of the group with five points, win the next round 2-0, win the quarter finals on penalties, Rooooooney, win the semi final in a 4-3 thriller, and then take the world cup home with a 5-0 demolition.

Glory is ours.

This is exactly the attitude to take at this time, the situation demands a futile and pointless gesture.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
[QUOTE=Giraffe;6399418]
This is exactly the attitude to take at this time, the situation demands a futile and pointless gesture.

Yes indeedy. All out positivity. We will win, and win big every game. Attack attack attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here