Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Four at the back

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Many teams played 3 CB's 3 or 4 seasons ago but almost everybody has reverted to a back 4. I think we play better with a back 4 and make less mistakes

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Won the second half 2-0, although I think we switched it before the pen. Surely time to go with a back four?

The first half created a different dynamic for the 2nd half. Who knows whether 4 at the back was a better option from the off. its 0-0 then not 1-3.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Playing 4 at the back is not the answer, we have no real left back, Veltman as the only right back, lose any advantage of the ball carrying central defenders and lose out on playing Lamptey in his best position plus we don't have a real enforcer to player the defensive midfielder, playing Bissouma there would not be using him to the best of his abilities and Moloumby does not seem in favour.

Other than that could work.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
In the first half it seemed like we played 4 at the back out of possession which then switched to a three when we attacked with Veltman/Burn pushing up as a wingback depending on which flank we attacked down. I quite liked it

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Lacking a right wing back? Blimey, that's Lamptey on his bike then ....................

What I meant was he’s injured and without him we need a different way of playing. Let’s face it, hamstrings are a recurring injury for a player like Lamptey

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Just because Lamptey is great going forwards, it doesn’t mean he cannot defend.

In fact his one-on-defending has been excellent in my opinion.

He joined us as a full back. He is good enough to play as a full back.

The issue is we have not got a left back. Burn is a very average centre back and Bernardo is not good enough.

I believe the only reason GP has played 3 at the back this season on most occasions is because he is trying to play his best 11 players, rather than playing his best team.
It’s a little like Sven Goran-Ericsson trying to shoehorn Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes into a 4-4-2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
Neither are great, but we beat Arsenal with Schellotto at right back last June. You just need someone to do a job if it’s a back four and let the rest play

Bernado definitely a better option than Big Dan.
When he was playing regularly at left back I thought
he was really good.I think it was under CH playing in
a back four.I’ve never really liked the wing back thing personally
I’m not really convinced it has ever worked for us.
I like a back four with quick fullbacks who job is to defend
but can break forward and join attacks,I think everyone knows where they are
in that system bit like Liverpool
Need to be quick and able to tackle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here