[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Superlative drive from Hamilton. It looked simple enough, but the skill to maintain that pace to the end - exemplary driving. He also seems to be one of the only drivers capable of getting to within a second and really sticking there if he can’t get passed. Would have been great had it reached and out and out wheel to wheel racing toward the end, but not to be.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Superlative drive from Hamilton. It looked simple enough, but the skill to maintain that pace to the end - exemplary driving. He also seems to be one of the only drivers capable of getting to within a second and really sticking there if he can’t get passed. Would have been great had it reached and out and out wheel to wheel racing toward the end, but not to be.

Loved his sandbagging about how he couldn’t get those tyres to the end. He does it so often that I now just laugh when he starts complaining. I wonder if it influenced Ferrari’s strategy, which is presumably the point of it.

Max is a nutter, needs to show far more maturity before he becomes a genuine challenger for the world title. His move on Bottas that got him the puncture was another self inflicted injury brought about by red mist over his start.

The quality of driving/reactions was mind blowingly impressive from most on that first lap.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
3 different cars all within less than 100th of a second of each other

Reminded me of Jerez when Schumi,Frentzen and Villeneuve all posted exactly the same time

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bumpy track, Hamilton in 5th, set up for a good race. I wonder who Verstappen will have his coming together with this weekend. Bottas to make a complete pig’s ear of the start?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What a fighter Lewis is, could have made that a stroll in the park and accepted being better than 8th

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lewis has six and Schumacher had seven. Thing to remember is that Schumacher’s teammates had to bow to him, that has never been the case with Hamilton until late in a season when his teammates have had to yield to him when it was close and another team and driver were in contention. Rosberg just pipped Lewis a few years ago, that would never have been allowed in a Schumacher team so Lewis would be up to a record equalling seven already.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Well done to Hamilton. Effectively only competing with his teammate during this Merc period of dominance in the hydrid era, but a very impressive career nonetheless.

Must be odds on to make it 7 next season.

With a big regs change coming in in 2021 it will be interesting to see how teams balance committing resources to the 2020 season vs focussing on developing their 2021 car and strategy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lewis has six and Schumacher had seven. Thing to remember is that Schumacher’s teammates had to bow to him, that has never been the case with Hamilton until late in a season when his teammates have had to yield to him when it was close and another team and driver were in contention. Rosberg just pipped Lewis a few years ago, that would never have been allowed in a Schumacher team so Lewis would be up to a record equalling seven already.

Schumacher was the best ever at destroying his teammates, mainly through political endeavour within the team. That was always his plan - best your teammate first. He’d ensure that his teammates’ testing opportunities were always very limited and when they did get behind the wheel, they’d be doing a programme that he’d approved and would benefit his objectives. His cars were always designed for his driving style rather than any other drivers’.

However, Mercedes didn’t let him play that game and his results against a man Hamilton normally outclassed (Rosberg) tell you everything about who is the best. Mercedes would have let Rosberg win a Championship when Schumacher was his teammate.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Schumacher was the best ever at destroying his teammates, mainly through political endeavour within the team. That was always his plan - best your teammate first. He’d ensure that his teammates’ testing opportunities were always very limited and when they did get behind the wheel, they’d be doing a programme that he’d approved and would benefit his objectives. His cars were always designed for his driving style rather than any other drivers’.

However, Mercedes didn’t let him play that game and his results against a man Hamilton normally outclassed (Rosberg) tell you everything about who is the best. Mercedes would have let Rosberg win a Championship when Schumacher was his teammate.

This is true Rosberg was the best driver in Mercedes until Hamilton turned up. Most pundits and fans thought he was mad to leave MClaren for a struggling Mercedes team too.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Lewis's win percentage is higher than anyone in the modern era. He has a 33% win percentage, the only person close to that post 1975 is Schumacher on 29%. You're going back to a different era of Jim Clark to find drivers above 30%. There are other metrics that also point toward Hamilton being the best driver there has ever been. Even when he lost to Rosberg, he won 10 races. He's the only driver in F1 history to have won a race in every season he's competed in. We are witnessing the greatest driver there has ever been. Born on a council estate in Stevenage. Honestly, in a sport dominated by billionaires and their rich kids, the story is pure fairytale.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well done to Hamilton. Effectively only competing with his teammate during this Merc period of dominance in the hydrid era, but a very impressive career nonetheless.

Must be odds on to make it 7 next season.

Slightly unfair. Vettel should have won the title last year but a series of errors both by him - normally caused by pressure from Lewis - and Ferrari was his undoing. The Ferrari was generally the faster car. Rosberg and Jenson have been good yardsticks as team mates (both were good enough to be champions in thier own right) unlike the likes of Barrichello for Schmacher. Granted, Lewis was beaten by both over the course of a season but only the once each and the effort Rosberg expended put him into retirement.

Hamilton has been the best British driver of all time by a country mile and has won more titles than Fangio, Prost and Senna whom were all brilliant in different ways. The measure against Schumacher is titles whether I like it or not but I think his 6 are better achievements than Michael's 7 due to the nature of the competition he has had. I suspect he'll be lauded more when he's gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports