Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forget Pulis now

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This is bollocks, it's a myth made up by Arsenal and their loving media as they were unable to beat Stoke. He may play long-ball if required or get players to break up play and counter-attack with pace.

If Palace weren't able to afford to keep him, or to agree to his transfer demands, I can't imagine any club in The Championship being able to tempt him. Anyway, I still think he will be at Sunderland in January.

Right; so why did Stoke sack him?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Says on Argus website pulis willing to talk to Albion. I personally don't think he'll come though.

He won't. We already know he won't. He was just being polite.

did you see how much he spent at Stoke with bugger all return?

Bugger all return ? That'd be the same Stoke who have been an established PL club for the last 6-7 years and played in an FA Cup Final and Europe then. What are you expecting, Champions League ?

SAC

May 21, 2014
Right; so why did Stoke sack him?

I believe it was due to stagnation at Stoke, something they should have been happy with. Luckily for Stoke Mark Hughes worked out for them and they didn't do a Charlton (sack a successful manager then drop through the divisions) but they have remained lower mid table, exactly where Pulis got them. Not all of his transfers worked out for him and some were expensive flops, this probably didn't help.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
This is bollocks, it's a myth made up by Arsenal and their loving media as they were unable to beat Stoke. He may play long-ball if required or get players to break up play and counter-attack with pace.

If Palace weren't able to afford to keep him, or to agree to his transfer demands, I can't imagine any club in The Championship being able to tempt him. Anyway, I still think he will be at Sunderland in January.
I think his style of play was more direct at Stoke than at Palace. We played some very nice football at times, and direct counter attacking football does not necessarily equate to hoofball.

I do sometimes wonder how long it will take some fans of BHAFC to realise that any team can pose as a superior 'passing style' team, but without the capacity to score or defend goals. In the meantime, numerous 'inferior' sides with their rudimentary styles will continue to snaffle points from the club during their attempt to achieve the most stylish relegation in history.

I applaud you Sir, for daring to swim against the tide of delusion.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
He won't. We already know he won't. He was just being polite.

Bugger all return ? That'd be the same Stoke who have been an established PL club for the last 6-7 years and played in an FA Cup Final and Europe then. What are you expecting, Champions League ?

i take your point but given that his net spend was larger than nearly every other club in the premiership bar the obvious two or three, you could argue that champions league was not unreasonable!!

my point was that he hardly had a limited budget.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
did you see how much he spent at Stoke with bugger all return?

Apart from keeping them in the Championship, getting them promoted to the Premiership, turning them into a mid table club, FA Cup final, European campaign and beating some of the biggest teams in England year after year, I agree - he did nothing

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i take your point but given that his net spend was larger than nearly every other club in the premiership bar the obvious two or three, you could argue that champions league was not unreasonable!!

Which Champions league ready players would want to go to Stoke?

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Pulis is not the most tactically subtle coach is he?
Get a team of players six feet plus who like the sight of blood.
Bash the ball forward with as few touches as possible.
Try to get as many free kicks as possible.
Get a long throw expert.

Not very entertaining.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Coming up from the Championship it takes money and investment to become an established team at that level. I don't think they were even in a serious relegation scrap under Pulis - in fact the season he left ("by mutual consent") they'd just finished 13th.

So yes, he spent. But he also delivered.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Did you ever actually watch Stoke?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yes. After the early staying up at any cost years where granted the football was dire they were never that much worse than most other mid-lower prem teams.

So if he got our job tomorrow, given that we are 4 points from safety, what sort of tactics do you think he would be likely to employ? You could be right and we may make a huge double bid for Xavi and Iniesta but I think I can guess what is more likely...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So if he got our job tomorrow, given that we are 4 points from safety, what sort of tactics do you think he would be likely to employ? You could be right and we may make a huge double bid for Xavi and Iniesta but I think I can guess what is more likely...

So what!? We NEED to avoid relegation. Pulis is a BRILLIANT organiser and tactician. He would almost guarantee much-improved results, which is what we need.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

With our squad? Unlikely. He got Palace playing some great stuff last year and they weren't all 6'6 former convicts.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So what!? We NEED to avoid relegation. Pulis is a BRILLIANT organiser and tactician. He would almost guarantee much-improved results, which is what we need.

And put back the development of our Academy and style of play by YEARS (WHY DO YOU PUT SOME WORDS IN CAPITALS?). If he gets the job so be it. But I and a significant proportion of our fan base would not choose him. If he struggles there will be references to his Palace past and his style from his critics overnight. Oh and we don't have the squad to implement such a style but other than that great idea...

Some Managers will regardless of ability be a bad fit. I think Pulis is the wrong man at the wrong time. That is my opinion if you don't like it I'm struggling to give a **** to be fair.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And put back the development of our Academy and style of play by YEARS (WHY DO YOU PUT SOME WORDS IN CAPITALS?). If he gets the job so be it. But I and a significant proportion of our fan base would not choose him. If he struggles there will be references to his Palace past and his style from his critics overnight. Oh and we don't have the squad to implement such a style but other than that great idea...

Some Managers will regardless of ability be a bad fit. I think Pulis is the wrong man at the wrong time. That is my opinion if you don't like it I'm struggling to give a **** to be fair.

Pulis has already proven he can adapt his style at Pal@rse, so you are talking utter b0ll0x.

Oh, and the academy is hardly the priority right now. I think you will find we are in the relegation zone at Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here