Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Forest Green tomorrow

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Two of us from Bath. Regret that we missed the game last year. Just look back at the team that we put out that might, including Steele, JPVH, Collwill, Mitoma, Ferguson, Enciso, plus others that were already appreciating, Lamptey, Alzate.

Steer well clear of the cauliflower pasty.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two of us from Bath. Regret that we missed the game last year. Just look back at the team that we put out that might, including Steele, JPVH, Collwill, Mitoma, Ferguson, Enciso, plus others that were already appreciating, Lamptey, Alzate.

Steer well clear of the cauliflower pasty.
That was a League Cup team, not the PJ trophy, surely?

I'm going tomorrow, but as a guest of a FGR STH - so will be sitting on my hands amongst the home supporters! If only we could recall the likes of Moran, Weir, Leonard, Offiah, Beadle, etc. for the PJ Trophy - and have a real crack at winning it!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
There will be 5 of us going....I really like this competition, hopefully we'll get out of the group this season.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I'm going tomorrow, but as a guest of a FGR STH - so will be sitting on my hands amongst the home supporters! If only we could recall the likes of Moran, Weir, Leonard, Offiah, Beadle, etc. for the PJ Trophy - and have a real crack at winning it!
We'll need an on the spot precise commentary on this game in a Cotswold style accent :thumbsup:

Jimmy Grimble

Anyone doing an incredible FGR and Ajax away double?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I'm not sure we would have any more chance of winning it with or without those players listed. It is incredibly difficult for a bunch of kids which is what the academy sides are really to be playing senior men's sides (the rules limit teams to two players aged 21 or over who have made more than 40 senior appearances so squads tend to be on the very young side). I believe Weir and Leonard would be overage players if they were available to us. It's very much a learning exercise for the academy teams and progress is a real bonus on top of the experience they get from the matches.

The furthest an academy side has made it is Chelsea, who got to the semi finals in 17-18 season where they lost on penalties to League 2 Lincoln. They could call on the likes of Reece James, Ethan Ampadu, Dujon Sterling, Kylian Hazard, Trevoh Chalobah and Callum Hudson-Odoi for the Football League Trophy that season. That's an incredibly talented bunch of young players who still struggled especially in the early group games where they drew two of their games (but lost the bonus point penalty shootout) only a win over Exeter secured their progress.

Despite all the talented youngsters we've had come through the academy over the last decade we've only made it out of the group stage twice. The first season (2016-17) the competition was expanded to include academy sides we got to the third round and 2019-20 (where we lost in the second round). This season we have a good chance of getting to the knock-out stage for the third time. A win or a penalty win against FGR will be enough to secure our progress but it's still a long way to go if we are to become the first academy side to make the final.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure we would have any more chance of winning it with or without those players listed. It is incredibly difficult for a bunch of kids which is what the academy sides are really to be playing senior men's sides (the rules limit teams to two players aged 21 or over who have made more than 40 senior appearances so squads tend to be on the very young side). I believe Weir and Leonard would be overage players if they were available to us. It's very much a learning exercise for the academy teams and progress is a real bonus on top of the experience they get from the matches.

The furthest an academy side has made it is Chelsea, who got to the semi finals in 17-18 season where they lost on penalties to League 2 Lincoln. They could call on the likes of Reece James, Ethan Ampadu, Dujon Sterling, Kylian Hazard, Trevoh Chalobah and Callum Hudson-Odoi for the Football League Trophy that season. That's an incredibly talented bunch of young players who still struggled especially in the early group games where they drew two of their games (but lost the bonus point penalty shootout) only a win over Exeter secured their progress.

Despite all the talented youngsters we've had come through the academy over the last decade we've only made it out of the group stage twice. The first season (2016-17) the competition was expanded to include academy sides we got to the third round and 2019-20 (where we lost in the second round). This season we have a good chance of getting to the knock-out stage for the third time. A win or a penalty win against FGR will be enough to secure our progress but it's still a long way to go if we are to become the first academy side to make the final.
The difference of course is that Weir, Leonard, Beadle and co. have got hard and fast senior experience (and you're right, BTW about Weir and Leonard being over-age. If we are to play Moder, we couldn't play both of them anyway). I know it's hypothetical, but I'm sure their presence would have been helpful. I know academy teams do usually struggle in this competition, which rather surprises me - in the early stages at least the league teams they are playing against don't exactly bust a gut to put out their first team; a bit like PL clubs in the early rounds of the League Cup.

Anyway, hoping for a result tomorrow. We drew (and lost the penalty shoot out) last time we played them in this competition.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Yeah I'm heading up for the game, me and my girlfriend both heading up. What's the best bet for parking?

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Went a few weeks ago for FGR v Colchester in the international break. Really nice experience actually and quite a good little ground. We used the park and ride which was £3 per car, however with a small expected crowd the car park next door will probably suffice

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion's line-up:-

FGR.jpg

So, three centre-backs (McConville, Jackson and Kavanagh) with Nilsson at right wing-back and Samuels at left wing-back. No Moder tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here