Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Forest fan saved by Brighton medical staff

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Old story this but it’s been covered today on BBC show Close Calls: On Camera.

Forest fan Bob Whetton collapsed outside the Amex before our game last October, swift action by St John Ambulance volunteers (including an 14 year old lad) and club doctor Rob Galloway saved his life.

Link below mentions that 7 people have been saved after collapsing at the Amex over the last decade thanks to the training, personnel and the equipment the club make sure is available on a match day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Old story this but it’s been covered today on BBC show Close Calls: On Camera.

Forest fan Bob Whetton collapsed outside the Amex before our game last October, swift action by St John Ambulance volunteers (including an 14 year old lad) and club doctor Rob Galloway saved his life.

Link below mentions that 7 people have been saved after collapsing at the Amex over the last decade thanks to the training, personnel and the equipment the club make sure is available on a match day.

Defibrillators. The only sure way of getting someone out of ventricular fibrillation. This is my research area. Someone (a medic) evaluating one of my research papers suggested the new drug I'm working on is not needed because we have defibrillators.

The nearest defibrillator to me is EDIT: 0.7 miles away (thanks @schmunk), alas too far away unless my son is visiting and can help Mrs T lug an unconcho 14 stone lump into the car, and drive like a bastard (it is 20 MPH and speed bumps where I live)

Anyway..... well done the club, and best wishes to the Forest supporter.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really?

Edit@ Thanks for the link - I didn't see it when I first replied. I have found these and will check them out:

1687782213993.png

If you go into ventricular fibrillation (VF) you immediately lose blood supply to the brain (and everywhere else, but the brain is the most sensitive bit). If this goes on for more than a few (2-5) minutes you start to run the risk of brain damage - if you are resuscitated. Resuscitation is by chest thump or defibrillator. Without this, human hearts don't spontaneously defibrillate (there is only a couple of examples in the medical literature). So death outside hospital from VF is one of the most common causes of death in the UK. It is estimated that 20% of all deaths in western nations occur because of this (called 'sudden cardiac death'). So if you don't have a defibrillator handy (less than 5 minutes away) or someone trained in chest thumping, you are toast. The single largest unmet lethal condition in the UK (unless you combine all cancers as one disease).

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really?

Just had a chat with Mrs T as I was about to see how long it takes to drive to the cricket club and she rightly pointed out that she'd not be able to get me into the car if I was unconscious, as I would be.

These defibrillators are great but are of limited value (value to people who go into VF right next to the defibrillator, or where first aiders and a stretcher are on hand like at the football). They should be available at all busy places, and we seem to be heading in the right direction.

But what would really have impact would be an anti VF drug that could be taken as prophylaxis, in the same way that statins are used.

Last edited:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Defibrillators. The only sure way of getting someone out of ventricular fibrillation. This is my research area. Someone (a medic) evaluating one of my research papers suggested the new drug I'm working on is not needed because we have defibrillators.

The nearest defibrillator to me is EDIT: 0.7 miles away (thanks @schmunk), alas too far away unless my son is visiting and can help Mrs T lug an unconcho 14 stone lump into the car, and drive like a bastard (it is 20 MPH and speed bumps where I live)

Anyway..... well done the club, and best wishes to the Forest supporter.
Hopefully your wife will never have to make that trip with you, but if she drove at say 40/50 over the speed bumps, might it have a similar affect as using a defibrillator?! All credit to the club and medical teams who have saved so many.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hopefully your wife will never have to make that trip with you, but if she drove at say 40/50 over the speed bumps, might it have a similar affect as using a defibrillator?! All credit to the club and medical teams who have saved so many.
Yes, if they flopped me like a sack of spuds over the top of the passenger seat. Sounds like a plan!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Really?

Not overly convinced by the accuracy ! Apparently one of my nearest ones is at Hangleton Bowls Club which the map suggests is in a private house in Applesham Ave - a decent hike from Knoll Park where the bowls club really is.

1687795462875.png

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There’s a story currently doing the rounds about these being removed from the NHS listings for 999 purposes of their certification is out of date (something like a 6 month review). No doubt the Albion are on top of this but has been an issue for some people recently.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
A quick Google shows defibs start at around a grand. I wonder at what price point it might tempt a few to have one in the house?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not overly convinced by the accuracy ! Apparently one of my nearest ones is at Hangleton Bowls Club which the map suggests is in a private house in Applesham Ave - a decent hike from Knoll Park where the bowls club really is.

View attachment 162758

That's probably just the mapping software dropping the pin in the wrong place.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A quick Google shows defibs start at around a grand. I wonder at what price point it might tempt a few to have one in the house?
I am tempted. The old man died of his first heart attack aged three years younger than I am now....

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I am tempted. The old man died of his first heart attack aged three years younger than I am now....
I'm sorry to hear that.
My dad had a heart attack about ten years ago but was fortunately with someone who knew cpr. He's still alive now but was very very lucky.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm sorry to hear that.
My dad had a heart attack about ten years ago but was fortunately with someone who knew cpr. He's still alive now but was very very lucky.
That's kind - thanks.

It was very quick, fortunately. And, crikey, 36 years ago. Diets and lifestyles have changed. And we have statins so the chance of acute ischaemia is less than it was. Probably 40% of deaths were via VF back then whereas now it is 'only' around 20%.

And as you have seen, if you get past the initial coronary obstruction and survive the VF, you can get some intervention. VF is the first symptom of heart disease in probably half those who have it, with death the most common outcome. Not a lot of people appear to know that.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Defibrillators. The only sure way of getting someone out of ventricular fibrillation. This is my research area.
Did you see video about cardiac surgeon Lloyd Rudy that I posted?
It was in the "Christians are nice people" thread.
It sounds like he worked in the same field as you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here