Foreign Players.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Like others here, I don't think we have enough foreign players, at The Albion!!.

I'm pretty sure I would have been jumping up and down about foreigners coming over here, ruining our game, mercenaries only here for the money, blah blah blah.

But skill level verses cost, it's a no brainer.

I guess we do have to remember we are getting to see top flight Spanish talent playing at a lower level.
But nevertheless if that's where the financial comparisons are, because of the seriously over inflated Premier League, then who are we to complain.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Isn't there an EU law saying that European players can't be restricted as it contravenes freedom of movement for employment.

turkey and russia have systems in place preventing a certain number of foreigners being on the field at any one time - sure we had something like that too at one poitn (except bein out of eu foreigners, not just out of the country like the 2 stated)

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I guess it comes down to whether you want to see the best possible players playing in our domestic league, or whether we only want to see the best possible British players.

It's the former for me.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
You wouldn't be able to restrict the amount of Europeans on the pitch for any time as due to being EU Citizens you can live and work anywhere in the EU, so from that point of view, it's a non-starter.
Unless we leave the EU of course...

No-one is saying you can't employ them, just restrict the number that can play in any one match. Those not picked would still be getting paid so it's not stopping them earning a living and working anywhere within the EU. Rather simple I know and I am guessing the EU would do whatever they could to stop the FA implementing any rule change that called for a restriction. Having said that I love our Spanish flair and don't want to see it taken away.

Jordan Rhodes has scored 26 goals in 42 games. Which is a goal every 1.6 games, a very very good return, but he cost 8 million. Leo Ulloa has 9 in 16 which is a average of a goal every 1.7 games, that's on target for a full season total of 27 goals, but he cost about 1/4 of the price. Similar figures for vastly different money, I know Rhodes is 3 years younger but it's another example of having to pay over the odds for English players.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No-one is saying you can't employ them, just restrict the number that can play in any one match. Those not picked would still be getting paid so it's not stopping them earning a living and working anywhere within the EU. Rather simple I know and I am guessing the EU would do whatever they could to stop the FA implementing any rule change that called for a restriction. Having said that I love our Spanish flair and don't want to see it taken away.

Jordan Rhodes has scored 26 goals in 42 games. Which is a goal every 1.6 games, a very very good return, but he cost 8 million. Leo Ulloa has 9 in 16 which is a average of a goal every 1.7 games, that's on target for a full season total of 27 goals, but he cost about 1/4 of the price. Similar figures for vastly different money, I know Rhodes is 3 years younger but it's another example of having to pay over the odds for English players.

That's just transfer fees. British players demand much more in weekly wages too.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
British players are hugely overpriced, it's the way of business to get a bargain and find a good deal. I don't mind where players come from. if the Brits aren't good enough then the F.A need to help develop players, or English clubs need to become realistic in te transfer market

This.

As I am sure, Gus himself would reply to this thread.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So why do Spain, France, Italy and Germany are able to brag about their successes in home-grown talent ???

UEFA Pro, 'A' and 'B' coaches registered:

Germany 34,950
Spain 23,995
Italy 29,420
France 17,588

England 2,769

Nuff said?

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
I have no problem with foreign players coming over cause they are better value for money then english players in the transfer market, my concern is clubs that decide to buy an average player from overseas rather than allowing a youth team player a chance and a chance to develop.

the english game lacks development of youth player and that is why we are falling behind in world football, Huddlestone is a great example, great range of passing and can hit a ball. Nottingham Forest released him at 15 for being too small (nothing to do with his obvious talent) and lucky for him he grew and got his chance at Derby

look at Man City if you were there as a kid you would never get a chance, cause if they had a problem at left back for example, they can sign someone rather then giving someone a chance (people want results)

its a credit to the game the way Aston Villa and Crewe have gone and it's something i think Brighton should do more of, we have a few good players in JFC is one and he needs a chance to develop and prove the player he can be

the Man U youth team of 92 (Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Nevilles) wouldnt have been that good if Fergy hadnt binned off the old guard and rebuilt giving youth a chance

Youth team players then start to lose there love for the game and fall out of it completely, which is such a waste of talent

so 2 / 3 million for a foreign player or for all the money you are investing in youth a free player that will be home grown, excite the crowd and just might develop in to an international

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Gary Neville smashing the nail on the head

Gary Neville fears the 'soul, identity and heart' is being ripped out of Newcastle | Sky Sports

Absolutely spot on summary there. Too many clubs are signing too many foreigners and it has got to the point where clubs are being used to get uninterested foreign players a nice payday.

Obviously, our influx our Spaniards are different... but it's becoming silly in the English game. Financial Fair Play is the ONLY answer. Stop silly transfer fees and stop silly wages.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gary Neville fears the 'soul, identity and heart' is being ripped out of Newcastle | Sky Sports

Absolutely spot on summary there. Too many clubs are signing too many foreigners and it has got to the point where clubs are being used to get uninterested foreign players a nice payday.

Obviously, our influx our Spaniards are different... but it's becoming silly in the English game. Financial Fair Play is the ONLY answer. Stop silly transfer fees and stop silly wages.

Can someone who understands clarify this for me. I am under the impression that silly transfer fees can continue and it's just the wages that need to fit into the FFP. Am I wrong?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No, you're not wrong as such. But I think that ultimately it will fall into line to an extent. Once transfer fees start coming down and you're not being quoted £150million for a dancer from Croydon, it'll make the market a lot more even. In theory. And I hope it does actually happen.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I don't see the link of FFP. The foreign players in Ligue 1 are paid less than at Newcastle because the clubs get less TV revenue and gates. That's directly in line with how FFP is intended to work. What he's describing is a dressing room issue, and I think it's a direct result of poor management/recruitment. You can't blame foreign players for favouring their own language, blame Pardew for recruiting players he cannot seem to manage effectively.

If foreign players cause problems per se, why don't we see any at Brighton?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He is absolutely spot on and it is something we have to be careful with too. However I think the difference with our influx of Spanish talent has been how well each and everyone of them has become part of the club and have bought into not just Gus's philosophy, but also the fan base and city itself. Given the 'bohemian' nature of the city, for want of a better phrase, our flairtastic imports seem to reflect the spirit of the city in a way those at Newcastle and QPR do not.

He is also correct to single out Crewe for praise, not only was it a home-grown team, but it was a team with over 800 first appearances in it. Fantastic work from the Alex yet again.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
For me the link to FFP isa valid one in as much as you do get cheaper players abroad because of the overinflated fees for young English/British players. However, I think clubs use the "abroad being cheaper" excuse as a get out clause to not take risks on academy products with teams often prefering a half-decent French import who is 24-26 and costs £2m over an untested 19 year old.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He is absolutely spot on and it is something we have to be careful with too. However I think the difference with our influx of Spanish talent has been how well each and everyone of them has become part of the club and have bought into not just Gus's philosophy, but also the fan base and city itself. Given the 'bohemian' nature of the city, for want of a better phrase, our flairtastic imports seem to reflect the spirit of the city in a way those at Newcastle and QPR do not.

He is also correct to single out Crewe for praise, not only was it a home-grown team, but it was a team with over 800 first appearances in it. Fantastic work from the Alex yet again.

Agreed. I think it is different with us.

Right now, English players ARE too expensive for us in our current situation, given what we want to achieve. But I like to think that in 5-7 years time, we'll be in the Premier League with a fantastic academy, churning out young English talent and getting them in and around the first team.

Newcastle have no excuse really. The players aren't even any good!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Given the 'bohemian' nature of the city, for want of a better phrase, our flairtastic imports seem to reflect the spirit of the city in a way those at Newcastle and QPR do not.

Agreed - we have a relatively large Spanish community. Watching an El Clasico at the King and Queen is fantastic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports