Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foreign Players.....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Can someone who understands clarify this for me. I am under the impression that silly transfer fees can continue and it's just the wages that need to fit into the FFP. Am I wrong?

Silly transfer fees and wages can continue if the club in question can afford them - ie they do not make an operating loss that falls outside of the FFP rules. As the rules for the Prem have yet to be agreed, we do not know what those rules are yet for them. For the championship, the rules are here:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/FLExplainedDetail/0,,10794~2748246,00.html

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Can someone who understands clarify this for me. I am under the impression that silly transfer fees can continue and it's just the wages that need to fit into the FFP. Am I wrong?

Both can continue provided the clubs can finance them shirley.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
He is absolutely spot on and it is something we have to be careful with too. However I think the difference with our influx of Spanish talent has been how well each and everyone of them has become part of the club and have bought into not just Gus's philosophy, but also the fan base and city itself. Given the 'bohemian' nature of the city, for want of a better phrase, our flairtastic imports seem to reflect the spirit of the city in a way those at Newcastle and QPR do not.

He is also correct to single out Crewe for praise, not only was it a home-grown team, but it was a team with over 800 first appearances in it. Fantastic work from the Alex yet again.

Agree with most of that, HOWEVER we (the Albion) do need to be careful not to overdose on the "foreign imports".

Quite frankly, however bohemian Brighton is, I for one do not want to see a team of 11 foreigners on the field in Albion shirts ... however good they are.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The bit about Crewe is important. We need to rear the kids from a very early age, teaching them the correct things so that they are good enough when they hit 19/20. It's no good picking up a youngster who is quick and strong at 18 but cannot keep his technique when put under pressure on the ball.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. I think it is different with us.

Right now, English players ARE too expensive for us in our current situation, given what we want to achieve. But I like to think that in 5-7 years time, we'll be in the Premier League with a fantastic academy, churning out young English talent and getting them in and around the first team.

Newcastle have no excuse really. The players aren't even any good!
Why will our academy be churning out young English talent?

Surely the young English (Sussex) talent is and always has been available to Brighton, irrespective of the facilities.
By virtue of league rules governing the distances you can travel to a professional club.

Gus seems pretty keen to bring any nationality into the Development Squad set up.
I can't be arsed to trawl through, but I'll bet a considerable amount of cash, most Premier League academies have a high percentage of foreign lads from 16 years and upwards.

Is the Newcastle manager good enough?

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If there are cliques then it doesnt have to be because of the nationality. Think blmaing it on foriegners is too easy. Anyone thought it might be the few local players who are refusing to help the French players settle?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If there are cliques then it doesnt have to be because of the nationality. Think blmaing it on foriegners is too easy. Anyone thought it might be the few local players who are refusing to help the French players settle?

Well, there's rumours that Pardew doesn't have control of the dressing room, and the French players just walk all over him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Barcelona are an interesting example, because they haven't always been so monocultural. At one time their team was more Dutch than Spanish, and Real Madrid had as many Catalans in their side as Barca. Yet now that they have increased the home-grown element, they have become more successful.

So Dean Wilkins was right. Or at least we need a proper academy.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
English players today lead a sheltered life, they have one or two decent performances and they are suddenly worth £15 million and going to leave a championship club to play in the champions league within a year. They simply are not good enough for the applause they get and unlike players abroad do not have to play a few seasons before they get their deserved accolades. Look at Sterling, Henderson, Carroll and Zaha they all had a spell of impressive form and were hyped up by the media to make them something they never were, particularly Sterling was probably the worst hype but at least no one wasted money on a fee for him. The hype over English players and higher fees would make sense if they introduced a rule about fielding a certain number of British players but other than that why would you give a toss or want an English player?. Foreigners play the best football, display the most skill and have the best footballing brains and length to their careers as a general rule.

I think we should start sending our English players abroad. They need experience of other leagues however our players are not clever enough to adapt to a different style of football, learn a language etc. Many of the best players from abroad who play here have several languages, the italians & spaniards also often have degrees which they attain whilst playing in the youth/reserves. Our players should be braver about taking on overseas challenges because only through aspiring and taking on difficult tasks will they improve.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
British players are expensive, but also the fact that many foreign players are often quite a lot better. I think the price of British players needs to drop, and then we need to review how we are developing our players.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
UEFA Pro, 'A' and 'B' coaches registered:

Germany 34,950
Spain 23,995
Italy 29,420
France 17,588

England 2,769

Nuff said?

Agreed says it all.Kids coaching in England still very poor, too much emphasis on winning. Lack of basic skills is frightening, parents frightening etc etc, same old arguments nothing ever chasnges.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I don't actually see why it is a problem.

Perhaps if our players were more willing to go and play abroad it would even itself out a little more and, dare I say it, exposure to other types of football may improve our national team's chances. But they aren't.

Look at our team. We have a number of Spanish players who are happy to play in the English second tier. How many English players, frustrated at a lack of chances at top English clubs, have gone abroad to get regular football? Next to none. They stay on their team's bench / squad fringes and everyone blames the foreign players for stunting their development.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Arry blaming the difference in wages causing cliques in the dressing room, is somewhat amusing.

How he gets away without the next question being:- 'so why did you play so much money'?, beggars belief.

Oct 25, 2003
I don't actually see why it is a problem.

Perhaps if our players were more willing to go and play abroad it would even itself out a little more and, dare I say it, exposure to other types of football may improve our national team's chances. But they aren't.

Look at our team. We have a number of Spanish players who are happy to play in the English second tier. How many English players, frustrated at a lack of chances at top English clubs, have gone abroad to get regular football? Next to none. They stay on their team's bench / squad fringes and everyone blames the foreign players for stunting their development.

agree with every word

our players just don't seem to have the courage or will to play abroad, something that i'm baffled by

D

Deleted member 18477

english players should move abroad if they aren't getting the chances here

i agree with this to an extent. some could easily play top level in spain, italy, germany but instead they'd rather play championship or league 1.

theres so many if's and maybe's but they'd learn more technical skills playing in one of those leagues suppose to the championship. england is a top country though... and players clearly get paid enough in lower leagues not to bother moving...

OR... the foreign teams don't want the english B and C team players because they're not good enough...

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Well, there's rumours that Pardew doesn't have control of the dressing room, and the French players just walk all over him.

Being a keen follower of all things Ligue 1, I would be surprised if the players Pardew has bought would have such a poor mentality. The only one who has any previous is Ben Arfa who has proved to be unmanageable at Lyon and Marseille and for the national Team.

Cabaye, Debuchy, Gouffran and Sissoko don't strike me as potential sh#t-stirrers.

Think the blame for the poor results has to land fully at Pardew's and the whole squad's door

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
i agree with this to an extent. some could easily play top level in spain, italy, germany but instead they'd rather play championship or league 1.

theres so many if's and maybe's but they'd learn more technical skills playing in one of those leagues suppose to the championship. england is a top country though... and players clearly get paid enough in lower leagues not to bother moving... ....

OR... the foreign teams don't want the english B and C team players because they're not good enough...

Yep, would be great if our players experienced a different footballing culture but the players that would ease into a top foreign team would have world options, but continually the Premier League tends to be preferred.

Barca and Real Madrid not withstanding, would you expect a Tottenham or Everton regular on £80 000 a week go and play at a lower status spanish club for £10 000 per week, probably not.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Why will our academy be churning out young English talent?

Surely the young English (Sussex) talent is and always has been available to Brighton, irrespective of the facilities.
By virtue of league rules governing the distances you can travel to a professional club.

Gus seems pretty keen to bring any nationality into the Development Squad set up.
I can't be arsed to trawl through, but I'll bet a considerable amount of cash, most Premier League academies have a high percentage of foreign lads from 16 years and upwards.

Is the Newcastle manager good enough?

Having top class facilities will mean that we're better equipped to develop that talent though won't it? And you'd hope that the majority of it would be English.

Also, yes. Pardew is shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here