Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For which Albion goal were you in the ultimate place to watch it sail in.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Johnny Crumplin, Football Genius - Goldstone Ground - late eightes / early ninties. Can't recall opposition.

He got on the ball just outside the box, north goal, and hit a beautifully dipping drive over the top of the 'keeper and into the roof of the net. It was an evening fixture, just after Easter Monday, and I was standing in the North Stand, right in line with the ball. It was in the moment he hit it.

:goal:

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Jimmy Case, FA Cup semi at Highbury.....if there hadn't been a net in the way, the ball would have hit me in the head, knew it was in the second he kicked it, :) Bloody marvellous scenes.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
South stand - dead in line of Gary Williams screamer vs shilton and forest

South stand - to see mark Morris head against he bar and Storeeeer score

In line with zamora's chip at Bury

In a filthy tin shack to see mc Shane score at selhurst

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Munday's glorious one at Leicester. I was in the front row as far along to the centre as possible. Just watched it clearly as it flew over (well, more like sailed over) the keeper.

I was gonna nominate this - it was the first one that sprung to mind. That and Crumplins goal against Burnley (I think) on Boxing day in 1990 something, unusually I was stood in the East terrace and got a perfect view.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Johnny Crumplin, Football Genius - Goldstone Ground - late eightes / early ninties. Can't recall opposition.

He got on the ball just outside the box, north goal, and hit a beautifully dipping drive over the top of the 'keeper and into the roof of the net. It was an evening fixture, just after Easter Monday, and I was standing in the North Stand, right in line with the ball. It was in the moment he hit it.
:goal:

You sure that wasn't a Boxing Day game? Or am I dreaming. He cut inside from the right and hit it with his left?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
You sure that wasn't a Boxing Day game? Or am I dreaming. He cut inside from the right and hit it with his left?

You know, you're right.

I've been thinking about this. I know it was a game around a holiday period, and I mistakenly thougt it was Easter. But it was Boxing Day. If it is the goal I recall, he hit it from just near the D, and it flew into the top right hand corner, straight over the keeper who was beaten all ends up on his 6 yard line. I've rarely seen a crisper strike. Beautiful.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
You know, you're right.

I've been thinking about this. I know it was a game around a holiday period, and I mistakenly thougt it was Easter. But it was Boxing Day. If it is the goal I recall, he hit it from just near the D, and it flew into the top right hand corner, straight over the keeper who was beaten all ends up on his 6 yard line. I've rarely seen a crisper strike. Beautiful.

I've just checked Tim Carder's Seagulls book and it was Boxing Day 1992! 28,700 in the crowd. My mistake, 8,700 in the crowd! At least 75 from Burnley though. We won 3-0.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I was directly in line with the path of the ball. Funny since then the amount of people who have said exactly the same thing!

There were a few of us there! Also, the ball started out heading for the keeper's right post and ended on to his left. The amount of swerve was amazing, definitely the best fk i have ever witnessed. And therefore, for the briefest of moments, it was heading in the general direction of most of the fans behind that goal at some point during its flight!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I've just checked Tim Carder's Seagulls book and it was Boxing Day 1992! 28,700 in the crowd. My mistake, 8,700 in the crowd! At least 75 from Burnley though. We won 3-0.

You and me there then. Just need to find the other 8,698 people lucky enought to see that collector's item.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
You and me there then. Just need to find the other 8,698 people lucky enought to see that collector's item.

My old man was one of them and he's currently residing in Woodvale Memorial garden, so that's one less to find. Not that he was that impressed with Crumplin's strike - Johnny McNichol had scored tonnes of them, apparently. The greatest ever Albion player etc.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sergei Gotsmanov's debut goal for the club v Oldham. Sat plum in the centre of the South Stand in the Goldstone. Happy days!

And here it is...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My old man was one of them and he's currently residing in Woodvale Memorial garden, so that's one less to find. Not that he was that impressed with Crumplin's strike - Johnny McNichol had scored tonnes of them, apparently. The greatest ever Albion player etc.

Twenty years ago this Christmas coming. Where did the years go?

Rest in peace, Grassman's dad. :bhasign:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

I wish. I was a 9 year old listening to the radio commentary that day.

Me and about 4000 others for BZ's goal at Peterborough that won us promotion.

I was there but didn't have a great view for it. The downside of terraces...although a great atmosphere that day.

I was at the front of the north stand right behind the goal for Brian Wade's fourth against Newcastle. Also I was standing at about the same level as the ball when it hit the net for a memorable Clive Walker strike against Hull.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Nobody got an 'ultimate' view at Wembley.

I was there when the gates opened and I got right at the front of the second tier and helped out a few supporters who had tickets with the United supporters in the lower tier by giving them my ticket so they could get up the top

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
FA Cup 83/84 v Liverpool at the Goldstone. I was in the Southwest corner as Terry Connor ran on and curled a shot past Grobbelar to make it 2-0... fantastic moment as we could see it curling around the keeper and everyone in the Southwest knew it was in before it hit the back of the net.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A great many years ago I stood in the north stand at the Goldstone when John Templeman, a local lad not renowned for his goals from midfield drove one from outside the box. It came at me head high all the way hitting the back of the net and trapping itself in the stanchion behind the goal no more than a yard from my face. Can't remember who it was against but it was a thing of beauty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here