Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those worrying/moaning about Player transfers without a manager......

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Craig Mackail Smith turned down leicester and West Ham because of Gus. Anyone who thinks top players are going to sign for a club without knowing who is in charge and consequently what style of football is being played, how much he is likely to feature, if he is going to get on with the manager and his training style, etc. is being naive.

The transfer window not being open is a reason to not panic yet. But players do like to know who they are playing for before signing.

Would love to agree with all this as sounds so upbeat. However the reality is why would players sign for a club when they don't know who they are being led by. If you are a free agent you aren't going to take the risk.
Acker79 I think you may be the one being a little naive here.

Baaaald - What risk is there?

I think people here put way way too much weight on the importance of the manager when it comes to signing players.

As I said above, its more and more likely these days, that a players signed by a certain manager, is more likely to be sold/released by a different manager.

I don't doubt its obviously far better to have a manager in place signing players, but I don't think its nearly as important as some make out.

This season with Roberto Martínez leaving Wigan, he become the 58th manager to leave their club, and I don't think that includes Poyet, who is techincally still listed as our manager.

58 managers. Players these day accept the man who signs them, is likely to go before they do. Whilst I accpet its a factor, I don't for one moment think a player would not sign an acceptable deal, to them by club that interests them, just because a manager is not in place.

You've also got to consider, for example, if Wayne Bridge was serious about signing and agreed acceptable terms, then in all likeliness, the club would tell him who the manager is likely to be to clinch the deal.

Its as if people think the whole club wonders along one move at a time. Bloom/Barber are almost certainly sure of the outcome of whether Gus will be the manager next year, and they are probably just as sure who will replace him out of a handful of names, if he's not. Its not as if they are not thinking past the outcome of the Poyet saga.

I've no doubt when the results come through, if Poyet does go, the day after the job will be advertised in the press so the club are seen to be doing the right thing. Off course we will never know, but I would not bet against the board knowing exactly who they want in place of Poyet should he leave, but they have to be seen to carry out the correct procedures, which is they likely reason why his whole thing is dragging on.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why? What's the problem?

Do you honestly believe players will not sign for us at the moment?

Do you honestly think the whole club and transfers/contracts side of things is at a complete standstill because Poyet is suspended?

Who signs these players in the absence of a manager then? The cleaning lady? ???

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No wonder there are so many managerial changes,it's not a managers decision to sign players.I blame the Chairman of many clubs for interfering a tad too much..

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry OP, you are seriously UNDERestimating the importance of having a manager in place (who isn't suspended). I am sure Poyet is gone, but who replaces him is anyone's guess. The people guessing include our player acquisition targets, and their uncertainty will definitely restrict our transfer dealings. For example, Matty U was released by Stoke TODAY, and could choose to sign anywhere straight away. Therefore, TB needs to make a final decision on Gus' P45 and his replacement soonest.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Players by their very nature demand assurances, whether its regular team selection, contract extensions or a ringing endorsement from their manager.

No other member of staff other than the manager can genuine deliver this, you may argue that David Burke can offer lengthy and enhanced contracts without a manager, but maybe a new manager wants to bring in 'better players' than that or may view that player differently.

It will be fine, but it aint ideal.

It's far from ideal.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A player from the lower echelons would be falling over himself to sign for this club, that goes without saying.

But the calibre of player we are (hopefully) looking to bring in will in all likelihood have options and offers on the table from elsewhere. Why would he commit himself to BHAFC without knowing who it is he is going to be working with and playing for ? After the money, the manager is the biggest selling point to a player.

Would we have got the likes of Kuszczak, Upson, Ulloa and Bridge here without actually having a manager in place, without them knowing who it is they'd be playing for ?

Thats a NO from me.

Absolutely correct. No player of quality and ambition would sign for a club without knowing who was going to be picking the team.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Sorry OP, you are seriously UNDERestimating the importance of having a manager in place (who isn't suspended). I am sure Poyet is gone, but who replaces him is anyone's guess. The people guessing include our player acquisition targets, and their uncertainty will definitely restrict our transfer dealings. For example, Matty U was released by Stoke TODAY, and could choose to sign anywhere straight away. Therefore, TB needs to make a final decision on Gus' P45 and his replacement soonest.
But that doesn't mean Matt Upson can't sign for us today does it. I'm sure the club are trying to sign him, and if Upson wanted to know the status of the manager, I'm fairly certain of the record someone would fill him in on the status. But with so many manager changing clubs these days, I doubt players are that bothered, so long as the club is right, and so long as the deal is right.

And like I said in the OP, other than Leicester, I don't see a club to compete with us as the best option outside the premiership. Players know that, and they know whoever is manager, we are going to be able to attract a far higher status of a manger than Poyet now.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Absolutely correct. No player of quality and ambition would sign for a club without knowing who was going to be picking the team.
But do you not think though, if a quality player came along, he would be told the status of the situation?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Who signs these players in the absence of a manager then? The cleaning lady? ???
Probably the same people that sign them when Poyet was in charge!! Gone are the days when managers would drive down to someones house with a signing on form!!!

The targets lists where drawn up well before the end of the season.

David Burke heads up that departments doesn't he. So I'd suggest him, the Chief Ex, The Chairman.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Acker79 I think you may be the one being a little naive here.

Baaaald - What risk is there?

I think people here put way way too much weight on the importance of the manager when it comes to signing players.

As I said above, its more and more likely these days, that a players signed by a certain manager, is more likely to be sold/released by a different manager.

I don't doubt its obviously far better to have a manager in place signing players, but I don't think its nearly as important as some make out.

This season with Roberto Martínez leaving Wigan, he become the 58th manager to leave their club, and I don't think that includes Poyet, who is techincally still listed as our manager.

58 managers. Players these day accept the man who signs them, is likely to go before they do. Whilst I accpet its a factor, I don't for one moment think a player would not sign an acceptable deal, to them by club that interests them, just because a manager is not in place.

You've also got to consider, for example, if Wayne Bridge was serious about signing and agreed acceptable terms, then in all likeliness, the club would tell him who the manager is likely to be to clinch the deal.

Its as if people think the whole club wonders along one move at a time. Bloom/Barber are almost certainly sure of the outcome of whether Gus will be the manager next year, and they are probably just as sure who will replace him out of a handful of names, if he's not. Its not as if they are not thinking past the outcome of the Poyet saga.

I've no doubt when the results come through, if Poyet does go, the day after the job will be advertised in the press so the club are seen to be doing the right thing. Off course we will never know, but I would not bet against the board knowing exactly who they want in place of Poyet should he leave, but they have to be seen to carry out the correct procedures, which is they likely reason why his whole thing is dragging on.

Good, on one level only, to see the club have signed an official Max Clifford looky-likey aka Tubby-McFat-Fuc to attempt to head off all customer dissatisfaction with the current lack of corporate communications.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
No player in their right mind (apart from desperados and mercenary money grabbers, neither of which our club would be in the market for), would sign for a club that didn't have a manager.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Good, on one level only, to see the club have signed an official Max Clifford looky-likey aka Tubby-McFat-Fuc to attempt to head off all customer dissatisfaction with the current lack of corporate communications.

:lolol:

and the OP called me an idiot

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
He would be told, but then decide to go elsewhere if he had any sense.

Why?

So they are told for example, Poyet won't be manager, we've lined up Robeto De Matto/ Oscar Garcia Junyent/ Harry Redknapp. You'll be playing in front of the biggest crowd in the league, we have the players in place to push hard for promotion, we are signing you and so and so and so. All should be complete before pre-season.

Why would he go elsewhere, unless of course they let slip that David O'Leary is the new manager :lol:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

Sorry you highlight 58 managers? Why?

http://www.thesackrace.com/news/28th-august-2012/20122013-managerial-casualties

That's 58 managers who left their club, not including Poyet.

:lolol:

and the OP called me an idiot
I knew you'd jump on the bandwagon................................. Do you even know the point being made?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here