For 1901 members only - please

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it's quite obvious that there would be no World Cup rugby at the stadium if the club had tried to impose any sort of ticketting priority on the RWC organisers.

Yes, but if we had insisted on it then we would not have got World Cup Rugby at the stadium.
This would then mean that the OP would have had his promises fulfilled and he wouldn't have needed to take legal action :facepalm::lolol::wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, but if we had insisted on it then we would not have got World Cup Rugby at the stadium.
This would then mean that the OP would have had his promises fulfilled and he wouldn't have needed to take legal action :facepalm::lolol::wink:
True.

Much better that, than local rugby fans being able to enjoy the world cup live, I guess.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
True.

Much better that, than local rugby fans being able to enjoy the world cup live, I guess.

And less for us to spend on the playing squad this season,

But i guess that if you're either a man of principle or an idiot you may see it differently :angel:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A good friend of mine who has a few tickets for friends and family in the 1901 area was told that it was the intention not to offer attractive packages when the 5 years was up as the club has calculated that they can make far more money turning the 1901 area into a corporate package area selling to the local business community.

The relocation of 1901 members at the end of their tenure will be an interesting one if they all want to remain 1901 members and there are only a finite number of places they can go...especially if they have a block of seats now. I assume they will be relocated to the east stand and those in the east stand will have to take their chances where they get their ST in the ground.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A good friend of mine who has a few tickets for friends and family in the 1901 area was told that it was the intention not to offer attractive packages when the 5 years was up as the club has calculated that they can make far more money turning the 1901 area into a corporate package area selling to the local business community.

The relocation of 1901 members at the end of their tenure will be an interesting one if they all want to remain 1901 members and there are only a finite number of places they can go...especially if they have a block of seats now. I assume they will be relocated to the east stand and those in the east stand will have to take their chances where they get their ST in the ground.

Oh dear.. this is not going to go well... is it?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I must admit this is my concern. I have purchased 3 seats 'for life' and providing I continue to make monthly payments relating to the season ticket element of it, I do not expect to be moved.

Any revised pricing structure will be interesting.

TheSullyShuffle

Jun 20, 2015
100% agree with everything you have said and I too spent many years of my life at the Goldstone. The fact that the club will not discuss the issue (and renegaded on their promises without adjusting their stride) is why people are considering 'other moves'. I personally raised the issue with Paul Rodgers who I believe has done his best, unsuccessfully, to get a response 'from above'.

Thank you for those that have joined in the debate in a constructive manner and with some interesting and differing views. Perhaps the most interesting wider debate or point that comes from this is how much we as fans or 'customers' are prepared to put up with re aspects of how we are 'treated' (I use this word advisedly, none of this is life and death stuff after all) by the people we give our money to because they run the football club we have an inherant, perhaps blind, loyalty to. It is obvious just from this thread that everyone has differing limits and of course if an issue doesnt affect you personally then there is no issue at all.

There is no doubt that the club have renegaded on certain promises when selling the 1901 seats and those that purchased seats for life on this basis cannot easily give them up without serious financial loss. I doubt a single 1901 member would object to a compromise on the non albion event promise such as has been suggested above. But if the club wont engage in a converstaion it would appear the goodwill is all one way.

The cry that money is alienating or disposessing the real fans in football is often made on NSC. If the club decided not to give season ticket holders first dibs on their seats for a prestige FA cup tie would everyone say 'oh well, I love the club and I dont want to make waves so I'll just accept it' or would many protest? I suspect may would protest because this is one of the significant benefits/perks of taking out a season ticket. For some 1901 members the ability to buy their seat for non albion events was seen as a similarly valued perk when shelling out considerably more than a season ticket and buying their seat for life. I'm not sure that just because I am a life long fan it is right for the club to do this without discussion or negotiation or I as a life long fan automatically give up the right to object.

I have no desire to see a fan take legal action against his or her club. But I dont want to see fans used and ignored by the club they love either.

abc I support your move. I was disgruntled about this in the first season but my questions to club representatives at that time were batted away dismissively . . .I thought I must have recalled the presentation wrongly because going back to the documentation I received it did not tally. But I distinctly remember the Aussie bloke using the phrase "your own little bit of real estate" - implying a form of ownership - and suggesting that if Take That ever played the stadium (non-football events were always very much part of the plan) I would get to watch them from my seat, which made it a very attractive proposition (not that I'm a Take That fan, but I anticipated that events would be staged that I would like watch). Yet when I asked to sit in my seat for the FatBoy Slim concert I was laughed off (despite being willing to pay the ticket price for that event). I don't want to sue the club, but I would like to see them give some honest answers to some entirely legitimate questions.

I'm not a "corporate whinger" - at least, I don't think so. I started watching the club in 1970 and throughout the 70s and 80s hardly missed a game at the Goldstone. When I could afford it, I had season tickets at the Goldstone, Gillingham and Withdean and I supported the club through things like "40 notes" and "Heroes and Legends" and whatever that one-off plea for money that Dick Knight made was called. When the Amex was being built, I responded to the call for 1901 Club members because I was invited to; it would help the club and, hell, I felt deserved a decent view at our new stadium after all that time and effort supporting Falmer for All and spending all that time on motorways or sitting in the rain. I am not unusual, I don't think, as 1901 club members go, in being a die-hard fan. Whilst I've enjoyed and appreciated the facilities over the past four seasons I do wish the club had stood by the promises it made to us at the outset.

Thank you, to you and your group, for raising the issue and taking it forward.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Unfortunately their lack of support for the fans who got them to Falmer has been a feature of recent years. They have gone billy big bollocks on us all, and if those fans who have been disadvantaged by broken promises end up having to take them to court I wouldn't hold it against them.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Did we not all get tickets for a World Cup game? They were cheap as chips..
8ffc3409b4caafa09bf3618929b6101a.jpg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

In the words of Paul Barber, and I quote:

"This is nonsense. Sounds like someone is mischief-making….surely not!

Here’s a cut and paste of an earlier reply I sent to someone clearly reading the same rumours:
we already have many local businesses as 1901 members, as well as many long term supporters and season ticket holders that wanted access to a lounge as well as great seats
many 1901 members are already regular purchasers of corporate hospitality; others prefer to use access to their lounge on a more casual basis – both are fine by us.
separately, we already offer limited match-by-match hospitality in one of our 1901 lounges; this will continue - and it doesn’t affect existing 1901 members seats in any way"

It's there, in black and white, from the CE. That really should scotch these rumours. Shouldn't it?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I must admit this is my concern. I have purchased 3 seats 'for life' and providing I continue to make monthly payments relating to the season ticket element of it, I do not expect to be moved.

Any revised pricing structure will be interesting.

Is there anything in place to stop the club physically moving the seat from say the West to the East ? You'll still have your "seat for life" even though it is elsewhere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the words of Paul Barber, and I quote:

"This is nonsense. Sounds like someone is mischief-making….surely not!

Here’s a cut and paste of an earlier reply I sent to someone clearly reading the same rumours:
we already have many local businesses as 1901 members, as well as many long term supporters and season ticket holders that wanted access to a lounge as well as great seats
many 1901 members are already regular purchasers of corporate hospitality; others prefer to use access to their lounge on a more casual basis – both are fine by us.
separately, we already offer limited match-by-match hospitality in one of our 1901 lounges; this will continue - and it doesn’t affect existing 1901 members seats in any way"

It's there, in black and white, from the CE. That really should scotch these rumours. Shouldn't it?

Not really. The proof will come in April when he releases the pricing for the coming season(s). If it's prohibitively expensive for many people, we'll know the answer.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Is there anything in place to stop the club physically moving the seat from say the West to the East ? You'll still have your "seat for life" even though it is elsewhere.

I refer you to the comment by PB above " and it doesn’t affect existing 1901 members seats in any way". I guess you can only go on what you are told.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I refer you to the comment by PB above " and it doesn’t affect existing 1901 members seats in any way". I guess you can only go on what you are told.

I think the word "existing" is the key focus here. I guess everyone will know what the position is when the prices are announced for the next five year plan.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Not really. The proof will come in April when he releases the pricing for the coming season(s). If it's prohibitively expensive for many people, we'll know the answer.

I think the word "existing" is the key focus here. I guess everyone will know what the position is when the prices are announced for the next five year plan.

I didn't paste the entire message I received but this is the other half;

"after what is already 4+ years experience of our 1901 club, there’s bound to be some tweaks and changes to our renewal offer; more details soon.
there can be no room for complacency and we’ll always want to improve things where we can, but our research shows majority of members being very happy with 1901 as is.
finally, if our works budget allows, we may also look at one or two new/innovative offers to potentially extend the 1901 club; these will not adversely impact existing members"

I think we all know the prices will go up, but a hike specifically to exclude existing fans seems unlikely, or he's telling bare faced lies, which isn't something I think he does. He's going to get some serious flack if he doubles prices and rips out the 'Club' seats in favour of suits after what he's written above, and indeed elsewhere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

"after what is already 4+ years experience of our 1901 club, there’s bound to be some tweaks and changes to our renewal offer; more details soon.
there can be no room for complacency and we’ll always want to improve things where we can, but our research shows majority of members being very happy with 1901 as is.
finally, if our works budget allows, we may also look at one or two new/innovative offers to potentially extend the 1901 club; these will not adversely impact existing members"

I think we all know the prices will go up, but a hike specifically to exclude existing fans seems unlikely, or he's telling bare faced lies, which isn't something I think he does. He's going to get some serious flack if he doubles prices and rips out the 'Club' seats in favour of suits after what he's written above, and indeed elsewhere.

Time will tell.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I agree it appears there has been some misrepresentation here as I understood 1901 gave you access to non footy events or first dibs in any case.

However I wonder who bought the PSL (Private Seat Licence) which actually IS a seat for life and whether they got an option for tickets. Correct me if I am wrong but isnt the 1901 in effect a promise to buy a seat for 5 years. You paid an amount up front and then pay to renew. Granted its a "premium" rate but its not a seat for life.

I purchased three or life and three for five seasons, sort of suspecting that we wouldn't be where we needed after that period. I was offered nothing, had to ring the club for information and was told that I could purchase corporate tickets at a price of £565 each, to eat the same shocking, late and over priced food that is normally served up at the 1901. My seats for life counted for nothing and to pay that sort of money to watch non crucial matches was pretty poor.

My feeling is that the club (whoever is responsible for the 1901) got it very wrong at the outset in terms of who their target market were and those who actually signed up for it. Its a comfortable seat, on the halfway line, to watch mediocre football, whilst being charged sky high prices for a drink. Four years down the line and the club doe not cater for its members and is missing a golden opportunity to improve sales to a captive market.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Could pose a dilemma for PB if we are in the top two come the beginning of April :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here