Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For 1901 members only - please

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are 4 'seats for life' in my row OUTSIDE 1901 so 'only' in the title shows some ignorance .

Im not following? The title states this thread deals with 1901 Club Only. First post explains why ie they have been arguably miss-sold. What's your point?

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Whinging corporates, whatever next......

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong!

Most of the 1901 members are normal fans who thought they were buying into something completely different. I believe the club WANT it to be corporate TBH hence all the fu*****g about.

Many of the current 1901 members have been watching the Albion since the Goldstone days.

Mark24

Mar 1, 2010
Hove
First stood on the Goldstone terraces in 1965... Self employed sole trader for 28 years... Prefer pies to prawns... Love watching my team from a decent seat on the halfway line and following them all round the country... I am a 1901er...
We were told we would have the option to buy 'our' seat for non Albion events, and this hasn't happened. We have had the option to buy a hospitality ticket at very high (though presumably 'market' prices) for RWC, Rod Stewart etc and in hindsight, this is what the original offer should have said.
A reasonable solution as far as I am concerned for future events that are likely to sell out, would be to be offered the hospitality seat, as now - or the option to buy a ticket elsewhere in the ground from the club before tickets go on general sale - as we were for Rod. Not what we were originally promised at the sales presentation, but a happy compromise so that the club can continue to maximise non football income and so that some recognition is given for the extra we pay for our tickets.
Discussion with that nice Mr Barber rather than threatening court action is the way forward...

el punal

1901 Members WERE offered the right to buy their seats for the RWC.

It was at a ridiculous cost, as part of some fancy package, but they WERE made available.

Just saying, like.

And with the added bonus that you, yes you, could also splurge out on buying the official England RWC Test shirt at a mere £120 a pop!! :mad:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
First stood on the Goldstone terraces in 1965... Self employed sole trader for 28 years... Prefer pies to prawns... Love watching my team from a decent seat on the halfway line and following them all round the country... I am a 1901er...
We were told we would have the option to buy 'our' seat for non Albion events, and this hasn't happened. We have had the option to buy a hospitality ticket at very high (though presumably 'market' prices) for RWC, Rod Stewart etc and in hindsight, this is what the original offer should have said.
A reasonable solution as far as I am concerned for future events that are likely to sell out, would be to be offered the hospitality seat, as now - or the option to buy a ticket elsewhere in the ground from the club before tickets go on general sale - as we were for Rod. Not what we were originally promised at the sales presentation, but a happy compromise so that the club can continue to maximise non football income and so that some recognition is given for the extra we pay for our tickets.
Discussion with that nice Mr Barber rather than threatening court action is the way forward...

100% agree with everything you have said and I too spent many years of my life at the Goldstone. The fact that the club will not discuss the issue (and renegaded on their promises without adjusting their stride) is why people are considering 'other moves'. I personally raised the issue with Paul Rodgers who I believe has done his best, unsuccessfully, to get a response 'from above'.

Thank you for those that have joined in the debate in a constructive manner and with some interesting and differing views. Perhaps the most interesting wider debate or point that comes from this is how much we as fans or 'customers' are prepared to put up with re aspects of how we are 'treated' (I use this word advisedly, none of this is life and death stuff after all) by the people we give our money to because they run the football club we have an inherant, perhaps blind, loyalty to. It is obvious just from this thread that everyone has differing limits and of course if an issue doesnt affect you personally then there is no issue at all.

There is no doubt that the club have renegaded on certain promises when selling the 1901 seats and those that purchased seats for life on this basis cannot easily give them up without serious financial loss. I doubt a single 1901 member would object to a compromise on the non albion event promise such as has been suggested above. But if the club wont engage in a converstaion it would appear the goodwill is all one way.

The cry that money is alienating or disposessing the real fans in football is often made on NSC. If the club decided not to give season ticket holders first dibs on their seats for a prestige FA cup tie would everyone say 'oh well, I love the club and I dont want to make waves so I'll just accept it' or would many protest? I suspect may would protest because this is one of the significant benefits/perks of taking out a season ticket. For some 1901 members the ability to buy their seat for non albion events was seen as a similarly valued perk when shelling out considerably more than a season ticket and buying their seat for life. I'm not sure that just because I am a life long fan it is right for the club to do this without discussion or negotiation or I as a life long fan automatically give up the right to object.

I have no desire to see a fan take legal action against his or her club. But I dont want to see fans used and ignored by the club they love either.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Im not following? The title states this thread deals with 1901 Club Only. First post explains why ie they have been arguably miss-sold. What's your point?

Which is why the title is wrong.
Seats for life were sold thoughout the ground @ £500 extra to standard ST's with the Aussie Ashley promising the same priority for all non footy events as is detailed at the 1901 presentations
We weren't even offered the Rubgy package or Rod Stewart priority for example (even though there are 4 seats for life people in my two rows that are all wealthier than the 8 I know in 1901)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which is why the title is wrong.
Seats for life were sold thoughout the ground @ £500 extra to standard ST's with the Aussie Ashley promising the same priority for all non footy events as is detailed at the 1901 presentations
We weren't even offered the Rubgy package or Rod Stewart priority for example (even though there are 4 seats for life people in my two rows that are all wealthier than the 8 I know in 1901)

This isn't about seats-for-life though. It's about 1901 Club membership, and the various promises made with 1901 Club membership. There might be some overlap with what was promised with non-1901 seat licenses, but this thread is just concentrating on 1901. It does what it says on the tin.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This isn't about seats-for-life though. It's about 1901 Club membership, and the various promises made with 1901 Club membership. There might be some overlap with what was promised with non-1901 seat licenses, but this thread is just concentrating on 1901. It does what it says on the tin.

The 2nd sentence of the original post is what it's about (tickets for non Albion events) & that was the defining part of the seat for life presentation also. I was at the first one given to any level

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've never really considered kicking up this sort of fuss over it but it has crossed my mind that I'm not really sure why I coughed up the initial £1000 to 'own,' the seat. I was also under the impression that it was largely to guarantee first call on that spot for all events at the stadium. After so many years in the Withdean environment, it didn't really occur to me that they would be priced as part of a corporate package only and therefore way beyond what I'd want to pay. As others have said, the contracts were very last minute so changing tack at that point wouldn't really have been an option. I very much doubt I'll renew after 5 years as the whole thing is more 'corporate' and less club-like than I expected. I'll have seats elsewhere. Not sure what the 'seat for life' element then means? Would be interesting to know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The 2nd sentence of the original post is what it's about (tickets for non Albion events) & that was the defining part of the seat for life presentation also. I was at the first one given to any level

But the context, from the very clear title and numerous references in the OP, is the 1901 Club. It's about PROMISES made during the 1901 CLUB presentations. If I started a thread complaining about the coffee served in my local cafe it's pretty clear I'm complaining about my cafe and not yours....even if yours does also serve coffee.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree it appears there has been some misrepresentation here as I understood 1901 gave you access to non footy events or first dibs in any case.

However I wonder who bought the PSL (Private Seat Licence) which actually IS a seat for life and whether they got an option for tickets. Correct me if I am wrong but isnt the 1901 in effect a promise to buy a seat for 5 years. You paid an amount up front and then pay to renew. Granted its a "premium" rate but its not a seat for life.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think it's quite obvious that there would be no World Cup rugby at the stadium if the club had tried to impose any sort of ticketting priority on the RWC organisers.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I agree it appears there has been some misrepresentation here as I understood 1901 gave you access to non footy events or first dibs in any case.

However I wonder who bought the PSL (Private Seat Licence) which actually IS a seat for life and whether they got an option for tickets. Correct me if I am wrong but isnt the 1901 in effect a promise to buy a seat for 5 years. You paid an amount up front and then pay to renew. Granted its a "premium" rate but its not a seat for life.
I paid for the life option which was £1000 for life as opposed to £500 up front and haven't been offered tickets. The prices are fixed for 5 years for me but the seat is mine for whatever they term life as long as you keep paying. I can also sell on the license if I decide not to carry on. And the intimation was that when it comes to new prices, the longer you sign up for, the cheaper it will be. But other than not having to pay £500 again at the ens of next year, I don't believe my rights are any different to those who just paid £500 4 years ago.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think it's quite obvious that there would be no World Cup rugby at the stadium if the club had tried to impose any sort of ticketting priority on the RWC organisers.
Correct and I guess the slightly glib offer before the stadium was built wasn't expecting the runaway success it has been. Poor form to offer something you can't deliver on but threats of legal action leave me cold. Sadly there are a few in 1901 who are the overblown reaction to small problems type so it doesn't surprise me that what they see as something more serious provokes this kind of threat. But common sense dictates that a World Cup for another sport will not honour any existing corporates seating arrangements.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
But the context, from the very clear title and numerous references in the OP, is the 1901 Club. It's about PROMISES made during the 1901 CLUB presentations. If I started a thread complaining about the coffee served in my local cafe it's pretty clear I'm complaining about my cafe and not yours....even if yours does also serve coffee.

So if your cafe was serving carcinogenic coffee & it had another outlet you'd just fix it for the one you drank in!? Nice

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's like SUING your own family, SHAMEFUL and hopefully those involved will be EXPOSED

Seeing as some of them have clearly been Albion fans for 30 years, I think calling them KNOBS for feeling short-changed by suited twats promising the earth, while making good money and having no emotional attachment to the club, is very harsh.

There is so much money in football now. I think the days of feeling duty bound not to complain at a piss poor lack of professionalism are long gone. It’s not like you’re paying a fiver to get in any more.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I paid for the life option which was £1000 for life as opposed to £500 up front and haven't been offered tickets. The prices are fixed for 5 years for me but the seat is mine for whatever they term life as long as you keep paying. I can also sell on the license if I decide not to carry on. And the intimation was that when it comes to new prices, the longer you sign up for, the cheaper it will be. But other than not having to pay £500 again at the ens of next year, I don't believe my rights are any different to those who just paid £500 4 years ago.

Interesting stuff. So in essence anyone who had a 1901 or a PSL havent been offered. Poor form on the part of the club and maybe this will "focus" peoples minds when it comes to renewal as if those promises had been made to me I would be pissed off.

I dont think I would go down the legal route though.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Amazing that, when being asked to pay a huge amount more than you ever used to watch football, then you're informed that "football's such big business now" as the justification. And yet when people who have paid up then act then like actual business customers there's outrage, accusations of disloyalty etc etc.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
My answers are:

1: No
2: No

There are parts of the 1901 experience that i'm not happy about (I miss Kerry Mayo being in the lounge before games, and the food is of a poor quality at times), but I wouldn't dream of taking legal action against the club I love about this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here