Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football's Suicide Secret

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm grateful that my own battles with my mental well-being have averted me from the cynicism that you display concerning tonight's programme (& the issues therein). God help any of your loved-ones were they to suffer in such a way...

This.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is though. Not that I'm complaining . . . he's an attractive character. His thing was the drink. He had several years of it. Amazing how vanity can bring you back from the brink. Viva vanity . . ..

I think we may have a conversation brewing here . . . . these are complex issues.

Complex issues you clearly have no understanding of.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My head of department resigned in the middle of a staff meeting because of depression. The response was tumbleweed. Its everywhere, not just football. And it is met with ignorance and distaste. And this programme still seems to be about CC . . . journalism . . . .whatever.

This shows it. The poor guy has a breakdown due to depression and it was tumbleweed and no one sought to see if he was ok. Tumbleweed. " it is met with ingorance and distaste ". Your words. Shame on you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Everything you have posted shows you don't get it. Never mind.

Unless you imagine that depression is restricted to football players . . . . my point was it isn't, and that the programme is exploitation TV, and as I watched it, a vehicle for shining a light on the charismatic Mr Carlisle . . . . depression/suicide is a serious business and the programme trivialized it. The end was CC looking forward to his new life outside footy. Ho Hum. Meanwhile people are swimming around in a sea of their own. Forgive me for intruding but may I guess that the condition is not unfamiliar to you? You are not alone. Programmes like this make me angry. Like back in the 70s, programmes showing that some black people are civilized. I'm sure that cheered every black person up. I'm sorry, depression/suicide is a serious business and 'footballers can suffer too - look at this bloke' is not appropriate.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" Programmes like this make me angry. Like back in the 70s, programmes showing that some black people are civilized. I'm sure that cheered every black person up. "

I really don't know what to say about that. Staggering.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This shows it. The poor guy has a breakdown due to depression and it was tumbleweed and no one sought to see if he was ok. Tumbleweed. " it is met with ingorance and distaste ". Your words. Shame on you.

You TOTALLY misunderstand. My point was the tumbleweed was shameful - and commonplace. Mr CC in his snazzy glasses will not counter the ignorance and distaste. This is a serious issue. Want to hear a footballer talk about depression, listen to Stan Collymore. He came on 606 one Sunday night on the Steven Nolan Programme a few years ago. Open, vulnerable, passionate and uncensored. It was riveting. Tonight I felt cheated. Anyway, I'm in danger of becoming incoherent. No offense meant to you, whatever place you are in. Life's a bugger.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
" Programmes like this make me angry. Like back in the 70s, programmes showing that some black people are civilized. I'm sure that cheered every black person up. "

I really don't know what to say about that. Staggering.

I think you are reading everything I type the wrong way. By that I meant that if I were depressed I would not have been inspired by that programme.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You TOTALLY misunderstand. My point was the tumbleweed was shameful - and commonplace. Mr CC in his snazzy glasses will not counter the ignorance and distaste. This is a serious issue. Want to hear a footballer talk about depression, listen to Stan Collymore. He came on 606 one Sunday night on the Steven Nolan Programme a few years ago. Open, vulnerable, passionate and uncensored. It was riveting. Tonight I felt cheated. Anyway, I'm in danger of becoming incoherent. No offense meant to you, whatever place you are in. Life's a bugger.

I don't know what your problem with CC is but it is the classic " he is good looking, he has a great life " wtf is his problem ? so the whole programme clearly went over your head.

knuckles

Feb 12, 2004
Burgess Hill
A brave and enlightening documentary. In addition, I thought it was really interesting to hear just how much winning means to the players. I sometimes wrongly assume that it's just a job and they don't have the same emotional attachment. To Clarke it was everything. He's still haunted by some key misses in his career.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm grateful that my own battles with my mental well-being have averted me from the cynicism that you display concerning tonight's programme (& the issues therein). God help any of your loved-ones were they to suffer in such a way...

Apologies, you have completely misunderstood. I am not applauding the tumbleweed. I was appalled. People don't like mental illness and I bet you when folk log on tomorrow they will troll this thread.

Separately . . . . the programme was tat. It showed no insight.

Finally, you and uncle S have missed the obvious . . . .

Jimmy Grimble

I don't know what your problem with CC is but it is the classic " he is good looking, he has a great life " wtf is his problem ? so the whole programme clearly went over your head.

Having watched the documentary I can't help but feel you are very much missing HWT's point here, US.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I may be being a bit harsh on him, but only because the programme makers chose to shine all lights through him. My problem was with the whole package. Footballers are not special, and mental illness, whether reactive or endogenous, is not especially prevalent in this community. Anyone never having encountered it will perhaps have been mesmerised by the programme. Anyone with experience of it will have been annoyed. Well, maybe that's unfair. Maybe some BHA supporters familiar with mental illness will have been touched. I wasn't. Perhaps I have been too vehement in my stance. Like I mentioned a while back, in my game nobody dare show any vulnerability. We are literally finished if we do. If I went on the box and mentioned the equivalent in my game, I'd soon be selling my house and looking at caravans in Seasalter. This is the way of it in many professions, and it galls me to see football singled out as a special profession in which being mentally ill is especially prejudiced.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Apologies, you have completely misunderstood. I am not applauding the tumbleweed. I was appalled. People don't like mental illness and I bet you when folk log on tomorrow they will troll this thread.

Separately . . . . the programme was tat. It showed no insight.

Finally, you and uncle S have missed the obvious . . . .

Well I'm pleased to hear that I have missed the obvious, although I would suggest that had you conveyed your thoughts on the issue(s) in a more coherant manner, then I wouldn't have missed the obvious.

As a matter of interest, why do you think that the programme was 'tat' & showed no insight? Shirley the fact that it was made & aired at all may well inspire some folk to seek help for their own mental anguish?Frankly, I don't believe it was produced with the hope of winning a BAFTA.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As a matter of interest, why do you think that the programme was 'tat' & showed no insight?

I did not see this programme but can guess as to why the poster feels this way. These types of progs often throw the term around without really explaining what clinical depression is or even how it is diagnosed or differentiating between depression and simply being fed up. The result is an ill-informed public. By way of example was Robbie Savage diagnosed with clinical depression when he said he was suffering? Or was he simply fed-up? I might sound harsh but the word is thrown around and used incorrectly so much these days that its difficult to know what is what....and programmes like the one last night do not help to give the public a clear understanding.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
I did not see this programme but can guess as to why the poster feels this way. These types of progs often throw the term around without really explaining what clinical depression is or even how it is diagnosed or differentiating between depression and simply being fed up. The result is an ill-informed public. By way of example was Robbie Savage diagnosed with clinical depression when he said he was suffering? Or was he simply fed-up? I might sound harsh but the word is thrown around and used incorrectly so much these days that its difficult to know what is what....and programmes like the one last night do not help to give the public a clear understanding.

Not sure you can say that without having seen the programme. I thought it gave a very clear insight into the clinical depression, and highlighted the gaps in the PFA's duty of care in supporting the players, simply due to their lack of knowledge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here