Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footballers with University degrees

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
When I was getting university prospectuses longer ago than I care to recall, the picture of former Spurs and Ireland winger Tony Galvin sticks in the memory. A famous alumniu of Hull University, where he got a degree in - Russian. No shit.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Thanks for the replies. Had completely forgotten about Tony Galvin. Southgate and Dowie don't surprise me, although it is rather unnerving to think that they and Coppell have all played for or managed Palace, or done both. I must have been dreaming about Gerry Fell. His entry in Tim Carder's and Roger Harris's indispensable Albion A-Z refers to "the former bank clerk from Nottinghamshire" - no mention of a degree.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
edna krabappel said:
Dowie presumably has a Masters in Ugly Studies.

He obviously went before student grants were abolished as I can't believe he'd have wasted 15 grand of his own money on a subject he was already an expert on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
clapham_gull said:
Dowie has a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering

Not just a pretty face then ;)

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Ian Woan was an undergraduate at Trent Uni. Not sure if he finished course though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Alan Gowling had a degree and a masters I believe.

According to Friends Reunited, Iffy Onuara (sp?) is, like me, an alumnus of Bradford University but don't know if that's true.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here