Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Managers that you LIKE

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think what is quickly emerging in this thread is that there aren't too many what you would call really successful managers in the list. Maybe the two just rarely go together, being liked AND a winner. Chris Powell comes into that category for me, seems like a top bloke, not sure he is a great manager (even though he has been operating with big problems at Charlton behind the scenes).

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I think what is quickly emerging in this thread is that there aren't too many what you would call really successful managers in the list. Maybe the two just rarely go together, being liked AND a winner. Chris Powell comes into that category for me, seems like a top bloke, not sure he is a great manager (even though he has been operating with big problems at Charlton behind the scenes).

I see where you're coming from, but I think there is a fair amount of relative success in there - Hill, Jackett, Mackay, Slade and Powell have all gained promotions and outdone what was expected of their sides, whether that be avoiding relegation or consolidating. Perhaps it's interesting that there aren't many top flight managers names appearing (bar Martinez who is another good shout), which probably links to your point.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I wish David Moyes to succeed, he has been left with a piss poor team, and just goes to show what a good manager SAF is/was for getting the best out of turd players

I went off him the second he supported the "no relegation from the Premiership" movement. Then he joined manure as well! Not a fan.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That bloke up at Sunderland ... Povet, Puyol? :fishing:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Also no mention of Micky Adams or Mark McGhee so far, shame on you all (whatever you think of their management style).

Edit: I see [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] did mention McGhee.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I quite like most of the managers out there so, to keep it trimmed down;

Roberto Martinez
Gary Johnson
Neil Warnock
Chris Powell
Sean Dyche
Eddie Howe
Arsene Wenger
Brian Mcdermott

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Always liked Steve Coppell for his quiet dignity and intelligence, even when managing them. Nigel Clough seems to have all of the assets of his father, particularly a dedication to stylish football, without the downsides, and he hates Billy Davis.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Gary Johnson at Yeovil reminds me of a kindly, fun Uncle you only see at the odd Christmas gathering or wedding.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I actually like Neil Warnock (there, I've said it). He is interesting, understands players, has had success at a certain level and has a different take plus not afraid to say what he really thinks.
Much as I might like to have him as a comedy hate figure, I have to say I agree with this, comes across well on the radio when I've heard him too.

Agree with Slade and Dyche. Think Chris Powell has done a good job.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I like Danny Wilson and Nigel Clough. Would have loved to see either manage us. Don't mind Warnock. I like Eddie Howe, but not sure he cuts it anywhere else but Bournemouth. Being honest I used to like Ian Holloway before he went to Palace, and since that he seems to have totally lost it.

It does seem harder to like any of the premiership ones, but out of the crop near the top Arsene and Brendan Rodgers seem good guys.I also like Moyes. As someone else has said he was always on to a hiding to nothing after Ferguson but has handled it with dignity. There is something to be admired about that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Almost off topic but Gary Johnson's brother used to manage Burgess Hill Town (even brought Yeovil up for a pre season a few years back). Really enthusiastic character, but clueless :laugh:

I like Brendan Rogers. Always pretty honest and comes across well.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Brendan Rogers. Doesn't seem to get himself dragged into the mind games and bitching that is so common amongst the top teams in the Premier League, and I enjoy watching his team.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Martinez is lovely.
Steve Bruce seems nice.
I quite like Sam Allardyce when he's been on tv. He's actually quite a laugh.
Gus Poyet from what I've been told is a lovely bloke. (really not meant to start an argument/debate).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here