Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Manager Stole My Life...

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I haven't played it since the 90s but "No chance Cheesewright." is still a catchphrase of mine.
For me, i never had a computer in those days, so i relied on my housemate to leave either for work or college in order for me to romp upstairs and begin again. 20 or 30 fags smoked. 10 cups of coffee. 2 Mars Bars. My girlfriend moved in at some point of this for a while. She would arise for work at about 5am. If she was gone and the housemate had stayed at his ladyfriend's then i was on it by 5.30 until the girlfriend came home from work. Even then i'd be playing, telling her i was upstairs writing an essay on and off. Come 9pm my efforts to convince her she seemed ever so tired and ought to sleep properly would succeed. Her eyes would close and i'd be back upstairs until about 3am inspecting on the progress of Tonton Zola Mokouko.

The glory days of Tonton Zola Mokouko, Kennedy Bakirciouglu and Tommy Svindal Larsen!!!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I had a game once where ROSS JOHNSON scored the winner in a WORLD CUP FINAL (a game that had nothing to do with me)

Utterly mental.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I love signing unknown players on FM, then within 2/3 years suddenly their on Sky Sports News and heading to the Premiership. A great feel of achievement.

I signed a young spanish midfielder on a free in CM/FM about 10 years ago (I think it was around the time the game changed its name, although I might be getting the timescale wrong, it's hard to be 100% sure when you've been playing a game for about 20 years!), who went on to be a bit of a hero in my all-conquering Brighton side which won the Champions League four years in a row. I'd never heard of him, but his stats were pretty impressive for a kid so I took a punt and it turned out really well. He went by the name of Andrés Iniesta.

I effing love that game.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
If you play CM 00/01 long enough, Man Utd end up at the bottom of Division 3. Which is a good thing.

My brother did about 60 seasons of that game with Brighton. He once sold a keeper for 100m to Real Madrid. Mad. CM 2000-01 will always be one of the best.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
On 2000-01 You could buy this player for about 100k from Derby and for any team you'd be he's net 45+ goals a season. You'd buy him in your early days as manager and Premier League would be assured. It had to be a glitch or something.
Tonton Zola Moukoko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Good luck with that. You'll never crack the top four. All the decent regens are from Argentina/Brazil and you won't be able to resist buying them. Also good English players are ridic expensive that you'll have to settle for mediocre players forever or until a gem comes through your academy.

You can alter the quality of players coming through for each country, so you can rebalance it a little. There are some countries which produce too many amazing players in FM whlst every England player is mediocre. Okay, that sounds pretty true to real life but not to the same level as in FM.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My brother did about 60 seasons of that game with Brighton. He once sold a keeper for 100m to Real Madrid. Mad. CM 2000-01 will always be one of the best.

Yes, so have I several times. After about 20 seasons, 3 clubs start bidding for players, and the bids go up by +- 8million quid a time. One season I made 300m profit in transfers!! The annoying thing about that game was that the star players could only last about 60 minutes each match and then be injured for 3 games! It was as if the game was telling you to give up!

Very, very addictive.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Yes, so have I several times. After about 20 seasons, 3 clubs start bidding for players, and the bids go up by +- 8million quid a time. One season I made 300m profit in transfers!! The annoying thing about that game was that the star players could only last about 60 minutes each match and then be injured for 3 games! It was as if the game was telling you to give up!

Very, very addictive.

I know! I bought this french player from Bordeaux who basically had 20 everything but at the end of a game his condition would be about 50%. So annoying as you'd have to rest him every two games.

I loved this game as it was so simple compared to CM games now. No training, no press conferences etc. All you had to do was play games, which meant that you could easily do a season in a day, even half a day if you really wanted.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
On 2000-01 You could buy this player for about 100k from Derby and for any team you'd be he's net 45+ goals a season. You'd buy him in your early days as manager and Premier League would be assured. It had to be a glitch or something.
Tonton Zola Moukoko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not a glitch - there were several like him. the Telegraph actually produced a list of players to buy.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Not a glitch - there were several like him. the Telegraph actually produced a list of players to buy.

Derek Boateg, Nikos Iordanidis, Martin Palermo, Cherno Samba the list could go on!

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Paul Warhurst he was a beast on cm about 15/20 years ago.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I know! I bought this french player from Bordeaux who basically had 20 everything but at the end of a game his condition would be about 50%. So annoying as you'd have to rest him every two games.

I loved this game as it was so simple compared to CM games now. No training, no press conferences etc. All you had to do was play games, which meant that you could easily do a season in a day, even half a day if you really wanted.

If you turned the commentary up to full speed, you could play an entire season in a couple of hours!

I have not played any of the later versions - have no time and too many responsibilities! It's like that game in Star Trek TNG that no-one can stop playing!

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I am addicted to FM. The best game ever , but I think the worst thing about it is when your computer crashes half way through a good run!!! And then you have to replay all the game again.

Last season I bought a new laptop specifically for Football Manager

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Not with Football Manager but Counter Strike pretty much dominated my life between the ages of 15 and 18 before going to University.

:down:

I play football manager though, it's a good thing to have on when watching the telly and half paying attention. I find it too frustrating to be addictive though. My plan for the new one is to make Brighton a club with just english players and as many english internationals as possible a la Barcelona.

Haha, yea counter strike dominated mine from about 13-17, still play it now but not so much.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ricardo Cardoso
Gica Gilca
Ibrahim Ba - had him as sweeper at Inter for years, was the rock of my side with a RIDICULOUS average rating, about 9.20 over an entire season.
Ibrahima Bakayoko

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I also had a game called 'ultimate soccer manager' not 100% of the year poss 95/96. it was great you could choose to spend your money on players or build bigger stands, club training ground ect, anyone else remember it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here