Football Manager 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I find it too easy playing as Brighton, low expectations and a decent squad.

Started a Chelsea game, can only sign players who are 21 or under.

In my first season I won the league, the champions league, the community shield and reached the league cup final.

Coming up to Christmas in my second season. Won the Community shield again, I've also won the European super cup and the World Club Cup. 6th in the league at the moment, but have games in hand. Few young players really coming through. Eden Hazard is my hero :love:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I find it too easy playing as Brighton, low expectations and a decent squad.

Started a Chelsea game, can only sign players who are 21 or under.

In my first season I won the league, the champions league, the community shield and reached the league cup final.

Coming up to Christmas in my second season. Won the Community shield again, I've also won the European super cup and the World Club Cup. 6th in the league at the moment, but have games in hand. Few young players really coming through. Eden Hazard is my hero :love:

I've won...
the champions league 4 times
the league 6 times
world club cup 4 times
super cup 4 times
league cup 6 times
fa cup 4 times

easy

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

bnfrnkln

all the lads...
Nov 2, 2009
the ministry of flair
Am playing ther Gus, controlling ther games and short passing our way to glory. Currently in my third season. Won Laegue 1 and Champ pretty much at a canter. Now 8th after 23 games with 43 points and in the League Cup Final. Following players still in and around the first team squad:

Gordan Greer
Jake Caskey
Bati
Bennett
Painter
Agdestein (on loan and scoring for fun with the Cobblers in Lg1)

First Choice first team:

Smithies /Kiraly
Sindeh / Naughton
Pulido / Miranda
Fernandes / Greer
Cunningham / Kadar
Allan /Nordveit
Dakson / Nlundulu
Horava / Caskey
Paul / Iturbe
Sanogo /Swales
Ferrano / Farren

i'm in a very similar situation to you, won league one easily, championship won on the last day, and now 9th after 14 games in the prem and in league cup semi's. i've mainly signed youth players with a couple of experienced players thrown in (namely zoltan gera and ricardo fuller) - but my success is all down to one man, Leigh Griffiths from Dundee. 101 appearances, 82 goals, 34 assists and 27 MoMs! :O

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I need to get this game...

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
but my success is all down to one man, Leigh Griffiths from Dundee. 101 appearances, 82 goals, 34 assists and 27 MoMs! :O

I was taking Blyth Spartans through the leagues and saw that Brighton had signed him and he was worth 3m or something stupid after a couple of seasons.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
My advice probably won't be much help as i'm not Brighton. But I play a narrow 4-3-1-2, and have found this to be the best formation i've ever used on the game :lolol: I play 3 CM's, one defensive, one support/automatic, and one attacking, for all CM's you probably want their Passing, Dribbling, First Touch, Technique, Anticipation, Creativity, Decisions, Influece, Positioning, Teamwork, Natural Fitness and Stamina to be fairly decent as these are all the attributes a CM should need IMO. Obviously for your more defending minded CM your looking at attributes like Heading, Marking, Tackling, Strength, Balance...and for more attacking minded CM's things like Long Shots, Finishing etc and so on.

The CAM is then played as a supporting Attacking Midfielder, who basically sits in the hole in the middle between midfield and attack, supports the whole final third in attack and chips in a few goals too :) These generally need to be the same as CM's..but of course naturel CAM attributes such as Pace, Accelaration, Long Shots, Finishing, Composure.

Play two strikers, one as a Poacher (he'll be your main scorer) and one as anything else which fits their role best. For my Crawley I have Darren Bent as the Poacher, then rotate Goodwillie, Berbatov, Boyd & Lafferty into the other spaces and they all have different jobs. As long as you have a striker capable of being a poacher who will consistently score you should be alright.

Defence is pretty self explanatory. Two full backs on defend, two centre backs on defend. Simples :) Using this tactic in defence I have never found myself shipping many goals, as the whole backline work as a force and all have the same job whereas if they all have different jobs I have found they dont work together well.

As said before I don't expect my advice will be much help to you, but it's just something i've used for the last 3/4 seasons on there and so far has seen me win 3 league titles, 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups and a Europa League :)

I've taken this advice and used it with my Burton Albion team. 7 games in and I've just got the record for consecutive clean sheets and have knocked out Bristol Rovers in the FA Cup. Seems quite a simple tactic but it works a treat with my players. :thumbsup:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I got this a couple of weeks back. Playing as Brighton I got promoted via the play off's in my first season, and just about to start the second. Made some pretty good signings too. Will post a "report" later on when I'm at home.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Started playing as Brighton with the new patch Noone, Greer & Wood are brilliant & Murray's a goal machine.
Pretty much stuck with the same squad only with the additions of Gael Nlundulu, Connor Clifford, Danny Coid & Roy Carroll.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Started playing as Brighton with the new patch Noone, Greer & Wood are brilliant & Murray's a goal machine.
Pretty much stuck with the same squad only with the additions of Gael Nlundulu, Connor Clifford, Danny Coid & Roy Carroll.

There is another frenchman for free who is a babe like Gael.

Best discovery ever on FM for me apart from Neil Wood from some Serbian side on FMH.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
AHMED SOUKOUNA!

He. Is. Class. You can get him in on the new patch too, but he'll cost you a fair wedge.

Signed Devann Yao, Soukouna and Giorgos Panagni (60k)

having to fight people off for Bennett though.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
AHMED SOUKOUNA!

He. Is. Class. You can get him in on the new patch too, but he'll cost you a fair wedge.

I'll have to check him out. Got half of the Championship after Bennett & his happiness is going down. Clubs sniffing around Calderon, Dicker & Murray too. How art immitates life!
Got another brilliant free agent Febian Brandy. Really pacy!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'll have to check him out. Got half of the Championship after Bennett & his happiness is going down. Clubs sniffing around Calderon, Dicker & Murray too. How art immitates life!
Got another brilliant free agent Febian Brandy. Really pacy!

I have no idea how he is at Champo level. League one however, on the 11.2 patch he was f***ing class. You have to fend off Fynoord and some decent European teams.

HalfTimeOrange

Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
AHMED SOUKOUNA!

I had Soukouna in my original Brighton save, scored 29 in 26, last day of the January window, f***ed off to Ipswich for a million after the board intervened the transfer :facepalm:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I had Soukouna in my original Brighton save, scored 29 in 26, last day of the January window, f***ed off to Ipswich for a million after the board intervened the transfer :facepalm:

f***ing gutted!

Isn't he a god? Best signing ever. On the 11.3 patch theres a cyprot that i've signed, he's not a bad player. Navarro is shit on the game so i don't bother playing him, Bridcutt is okay. Kish is class so i rotate Kish and my new kiddie (23) and then Bridcutt plays when needed and is interchangable with dicker who i play in support

I'm using the tactics described above

Noone/Bennett CAM

Spaz as CM attacking
Dicker as CM support
Kish as CM defending

Bridcutt can play CM Defend/SUpport and so can my new guy. Sparrow and dicker can swap as needed.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Brighton & Hove Albion

Season 2010/11

Transfers in

Code:
Aaron Cresswell		Tranmere	£120k
Craig Noone		Plymouth	£100k
Leon Crncic		Leicester	£16k

Mark Randall		Arsenal		Loan
Rhys Murphy		Arsenal		Loan
Jordan Spence		West Ham	Loan

Jennison Myrie-Williams	St. Johnstone	Free

The following I got in for reserves/youth

Code:
Devann Yao			Free
Danny Ucheci			Free
Aaron King			Free
Michael Whitwell		Free
Harry Rubbins			Free
Joshua Vermooten		Free
Botond Antal			Free
Adam Street			Free

Transfers out

Code:
Adam El-Abd	Coventry	£95k
Gary Hart	Shrewsbury	£8k

Andy Whing	Burton		Loan
Christian Baz	Wycombe		Loan

Agustin Battipiedi		Free
Jim McNulty			Free
Ryan Simmonds			Free
Andy Whing			Free

Formation / Team

Mostly went with 4-2-2, but against the tougher teams, and most away games, played 4-5-1 with high wingers.

I always listen to backroom advice before matches, as they pretty much always said either play narrow, or play wide. Play slow, or play quick. Play deep, or play high.

4-2-2

GK: Ankergren
LB: Painter
CB: Spence
CB: Greer
RB: Calderon
LW: Lua Lua
AM: Randall / Sparrow
DM: Bridcutt / Kishishev
RW: Bennett
ST: Murray
ST: Murphy

4-5-1

GK: Ankergren
CB: Spence
LW: Lua Lua
AM: Randall
DM: Bricutt / Kishishev
CM: Sparrow
ST: Murray / Murphy

Overview

Promoted via the play offs beating Huddersfield on penalties in the final. Finished with 83 points. 2nd had 92 (Colchester), first had 101 (Southampton).

Won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy beating Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 after extra time.

Board are pleased with my work, and offered me a new contract until 2014 worth £2,800pw. I accepted.

Season 2011/12

Transfers in

Code:
Dj Campbell	Blackpool	£650k
Danny Haynes	Bristol City	£180k
Steve Finnan	Wigan		£30k

Corry Evans	Man Utd		Loan
Tom Soares	Stoke		Loan
Rhys Murphy	Arsenal		Loan

Thomas Cruise	Arsenal		Free
Gary Doherty	Charlton	Free
Ibrahima Sonko			Free
Radek Cerny			Free

Transfers out

Code:
Aaron Cresswell	Scunthorpe	£35k

Peter Brezovan	Millwall	Loan

Chris Holroyd			Free
Radostin Kishishev		Free
Grant Hall			Free
Franciso Sandaza		Free

Formation / Team

Played 4-4-2 against all but City, where I played 4-5-1. Have been rotating the squad in friendlies to get everyone fit. For the first game, I'll be going with either:

4-4-2

GK: Cerny
CB: Doherty
LW: Noone
AM: Sparrow / Soares
DM: Bridcutt / Evans
RW: Bennett / Haynes
ST: Campbell
ST: Murphy / Barnes

4-5-1

GK: Cerny
CB: Doherty
LW: Noone
AM: Sparrow
DM: Bridcutt / Evans
CM: Soares
ST: Campbell

Overview

Have only just finished playing friendlies, which went very well:

Code:
Stoke			1-1	Campbell
Whitehawk		7-0	Campbell 2, Bennett 2, Noone, Barnes, Haynes
Man City		2-0	Campbell 2
Brighton Reserves	3-0	Campbell 2, Bennett

My aim for the season was to avoid relegation, so I received approximately £1m in transfer money.

Felt Dj Campbell was a bit of a steal, despite him wanting £10,250pw wages. He's already firing, scoring 7 goals in 3.5 friendlies.

Both Bennett and Sparrow handed in transfer requests after bigger clubs came sniffing. Managed to keep them so far, but got in replacements just in case (Haynes and Soares). Painter and Bridcutt also have clubs sniffing round them.

I currently have Murray, Elphick and Baz on the transfer list. Murray started playing very badly towards the end of last season and didn't like it when replaced by Barnes. Elphick just isn't good enough now I have Greer, Doherty, Sonko and Evans can fill in. Baz also isn't good enough.

This is the first time I've really played it properly for a good 4-5 years, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Sorry for waffling on, if people enjoyed reading it, I'll post another after this season, or potentially half way through depending on how long it takes me.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Its just been too easy so I have gone for the ultimaten challenge got the ten level database downaloded and Im now planning taking Rye United from Sussex Div 1 to the premier league

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports