Football Manager 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I'm finding the game really hard. I started off in Denmark's non league. Finished top and won the play-off to gain promotion but was feeling a bit homesick. With this being the case I took the Port Vale job when it came up, I got sacked from that after about 6 months, I then went to Crawley and got the sack from that after about 30 games. I'm now at Forest Green but am 23rd in the conference and facing the sack there as well !!!!!!

Agreed. Finding this version far, far, far, far harder. Can't seem to find a formation/individual player roles that work for me. Anyone help?

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
The Gus Bus! I just play the short passing, creative 4-4-2 with the left centre midfielder (Bridcutt) being defensive, and Dicker being a support as the second centre mid. The wingers I play as attacking, with the two full backs as supporting. I have one of the strikers as a sort of support-ish player too, with the other striker running off him. I am playing as Brighton so probably just the way that fits them.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
The Gus Bus! I just play the short passing, creative 4-4-2 with the left centre midfielder (Bridcutt) being defensive, and Dicker being a support as the second centre mid. The wingers I play as attacking, with the two full backs as supporting. I have one of the strikers as a sort of support-ish player too, with the other striker running off him. I am playing as Brighton so probably just the way that fits them.

Cheers mate. I'm into my 3rd season and am in the championship sort of mid-table/flirting with relegation after going up via Playoffs in my 2nd season. That sounds alright but am normally in the Prem and cruising through the divisions by now. Suppose it's better as more realistic but it's a struggle.

HalfTimeOrange

Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
Cheers mate. I'm into my 3rd season and am in the championship sort of mid-table/flirting with relegation after going up via Playoffs in my 2nd season. That sounds alright but am normally in the Prem and cruising through the divisions by now. Suppose it's better as more realistic but it's a struggle.

My advice probably won't be much help as i'm not Brighton. But I play a narrow 4-3-1-2, and have found this to be the best formation i've ever used on the game :lolol: I play 3 CM's, one defensive, one support/automatic, and one attacking, for all CM's you probably want their Passing, Dribbling, First Touch, Technique, Anticipation, Creativity, Decisions, Influece, Positioning, Teamwork, Natural Fitness and Stamina to be fairly decent as these are all the attributes a CM should need IMO. Obviously for your more defending minded CM your looking at attributes like Heading, Marking, Tackling, Strength, Balance...and for more attacking minded CM's things like Long Shots, Finishing etc and so on.

The CAM is then played as a supporting Attacking Midfielder, who basically sits in the hole in the middle between midfield and attack, supports the whole final third in attack and chips in a few goals too :) These generally need to be the same as CM's..but of course naturel CAM attributes such as Pace, Accelaration, Long Shots, Finishing, Composure.

Play two strikers, one as a Poacher (he'll be your main scorer) and one as anything else which fits their role best. For my Crawley I have Darren Bent as the Poacher, then rotate Goodwillie, Berbatov, Boyd & Lafferty into the other spaces and they all have different jobs. As long as you have a striker capable of being a poacher who will consistently score you should be alright.

Defence is pretty self explanatory. Two full backs on defend, two centre backs on defend. Simples :) Using this tactic in defence I have never found myself shipping many goals, as the whole backline work as a force and all have the same job whereas if they all have different jobs I have found they dont work together well.

As said before I don't expect my advice will be much help to you, but it's just something i've used for the last 3/4 seasons on there and so far has seen me win 3 league titles, 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups and a Europa League :)

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i normally use a 4-2-3-1 in my games but with brighton use a cock-eyed 4-4-2 with the wingers up the pitch and a holding midfielder.. i then use ridiculously short passing with all my tactics with very fluid and attacking mentality, i put the build up to slow and they usually stroke it around at will until it ends up in the net. this is harder than with my sampdoria game due to the abilities of brighton players but so far im 2nd in the league behind scummersonly problem is i ship a fair few goals but iv kinda fixed it by playing ball-playing defenders and a sweeper keeper so any through balls that get through my high line get swept up by ankergren/szezchzezezechzezney)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Am playing ther Gus, controlling ther games and short passing our way to glory. Currently in my third season. Won Laegue 1 and Champ pretty much at a canter. Now 8th after 23 games with 43 points and in the League Cup Final. Following players still in and around the first team squad:

Gordan Greer
Jake Caskey
Bati
Bennett
Painter
Agdestein (on loan and scoring for fun with the Cobblers in Lg1)

First Choice first team:

Smithies /Kiraly
Sindeh / Naughton
Pulido / Miranda
Fernandes / Greer
Cunningham / Kadar
Allan /Nordveit
Dakson / Nlundulu
Horava / Caskey
Paul / Iturbe
Sanogo /Swales
Ferrano / Farren

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I have just finished first season and finished runners up in League 1 playing 4-2-3-1, with only 5 new signings (Plus a few youngsters in reserves/youth team)
GK: Ankergren (Brezovan)
RB: Calderon (Kerrea Gilbert Free)
CB: El-Abd (Elphick)
CB: Greer (Dunk)
LB: Painter (Matutu/McNulty)
CM: Kishishev (Patrick Cregg Free)
CM: Dicker (Bridcutt)
AMR: Bennett (Pedro Pareja 20k)
AMC: Sparrow (Smith)
AML: Lua-Lua/Gai Assaulin Free (Nathan Porritt 20k)
ST: Murray (Sandaza)

I have signed a few new players for the start of season 2 in the Championship :falmer::amex::
Ben Alnwick (Free)
Picho Atienza (Bosman)
Michael Woods (Free)
Mark Randall (Free)
Luke Freeman (Free)
Plus a few more for the reserves and youth team.

Not sure whether that will be enough to stay up!

Giraffe's Son

Dec 3, 2007
Not doing to bad i dont think?

Prob bought to many players:facepalm:

Attachments

• Brighton and Hove Albion (Brighton_ Fixtures).png
    Brighton and Hove Albion (Brighton_ Fixtures).png
    217.3 KB · Views: 373
  • Brighton and Hove Albion (Brighton_ Players).png
    Brighton and Hove Albion (Brighton_ Players).png
    237.4 KB · Views: 372
  • npower League 1 (Information_ League Table).png
    npower League 1 (Information_ League Table).png
    145.2 KB · Views: 373

HalfTimeOrange

Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
Finished the 2015/16 season with Crawley Town, and this is the season run-down:

English Premier Division CHAMPIONS
European Champions Cup CHAMPIONS
FA Cup CHAMPIONS
League Cup CHAMPIONS

Wasn't expecting to bag all four trophies at all :lolol: However a 2-1 aggregate win over Barcelona in the semi-finals made me think that I could potentially now beat anyone :lolol: New season started and have a tasty 25m to spend in the transfer market :) The board have alos built me a new stadium, improved my training and youth facilities (including youth recruitment network) and I find myself £30m in the green Finances wise :)

U r my Brighton

Jan 11, 2011
West Stand Upper
ive got 2 now........an ARSENAL one where i have won, champions league x2, premier league x2, carling cup, Fa cup, super cup x2, and community sheild and ive had a 6 month spell at WALES....this is my line-up + just a normal 4-4-2 with offside trap and fast passing.

Reina/smithies

Van Der Wiel/Coleman
Dawson/C.Davies
Vermarlen/Kosielney
Fabio.Coentrao/gibbs

Robben/Ramsey
Nasri/wilshere
Sneijder/Oxalde-Chamberlien
Faberagas/Song

Tevez/Wickam
Chamakh/Hernandez

And my second is TOTTENHAM, ive just started because i got bored of the ARSENAL one., im at christmas atmo and im unbeaten this year......i also managed to beat REAL MADRID 1-0 aswell....i play 4-1-2-1-2 and i play slow build up and offside trap........this is it(havent got as many players)

Foster/Gomes

Coleman/Kaboul
Cahill/Davies
Dawson/King
Bale/Gallas

Parker/Huddlestone

Dempsey/Lennon
Adam/Modric

Van Der Vaart/Kranjar

Caroll/Defoe
Dzeko/Crouch

dzeko is top scorer with 16 in 16

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Guaranteed promotion, 8 points clear at the top of the table with three games remaining. Peterborough are second and are one of my next three games, so could end up going down to the last day of the season! Very happy with my squad, Elphick is scoring shed loads from corners, and Murray is another class.

HalfTimeOrange

Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
Got a new Brighton save going atm :) currently 2nd in League One after about 19 games. In the Southern Area final of the JPT against Swindon. Made quite a few signings to reinforace the defence and attack and my team looks like this:

GK - Casper Ankergren

RB - Jordan Spence(Loan)/Inigo Calderon
CB - Marcel Seip (775k)
CB - Gordon Greer
LB - Marcos Painter

RM - Elliott Bennett
CM - Matt Sparrow
CM - Liam Bridcutt
LM - Matty Robson (225k)

ST - Ahmed Soukouna (free)
ST - James Brown (400k)

Most players brought are only monthly installments so are payed over a 48-month period :) Soukouna is scoring for fun up to with 21 from 19, James Brown also making it look easy with 11 from 15 appearances. Defence are solid and are hardly conceeding, 'tis all going well.

Level on points with Peterborough who are 1st, they do not seem to want to drop points atm so as we are both constantly winning the gap stays the same :L going well though and hopefully can add a few names in Jan to push for promotion :)

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
Some people are actually amazing at this. Me well, I'm just rubbish tbh lol. I just can't seem to get tactics right at all and I skip news conferences as well :eek: Think HTO said this effects the results woops :lol: However I've signed the same people as quite a few people above (this is for brighton) so Spence cb/rb pareja rm and gilbert rb. So I can't be doing too much wrong, just need to sort the tactics out. Just started a new one as my first one the wages got a bit out of control as I din't know what I was doing.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Got a bit bored with my Brighton game after winning the premiership in my fourth season. So haev slipped to playign my career game. Satrted at Chelmsford and have now finished my secodn season, getting us into league 2 where SHOCK HORRO, Brighton have been relegated to. Hoping to get offered a better job this season as Chelmsford wage limit is 9k.

Some people are actually amazing at this. Me well, I'm just rubbish tbh lol. I just can't seem to get tactics right at all and I skip news conferences as well :eek: Think HTO said this effects the results woops :lol:

I do think that the tactics are too hard, in that players will be absolutely shite if the system isn't up to it. I stumbled across a 442 with two deep-lying central midfielders that worked, and that formation took me all the way to the Premier League title and European Cup. On the back of that success I managed to bring in a load of top quality players, and as a result wanted to change to a 4-1-2-1-2 (i.e. a diamond midfield). However my team are playing absolutely shit house, despite most of the 'team' tactical settings being the same.

As for the press conferences, I wouldn't worry too much. I don't do them either, and the assistants seem much better at making sensible responses in this version than in the previous iterations of FM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports