Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League Tonight part deux.

Maxx

Aug 29, 2015
Well, the formats shit then. Does that imply that before the season starts the running order is decided? What happens if, God forbid, a team like Brighton or even Bournemouth last season who aren't predicted to storm the league, suddenly pop up? It's amateurish rubbish with a jarg out of tune theme tune and presenters with ax much charisma as my glans.

I've got opinions on the format as well but would be unprofessional of me to display them on here.

At the start of the season they had a list of featured games that ran till the end of September. At the end of September they had a list that ran till the end of November etc etc. This will probably mean we will be featured a lot more in the New Year given our position.

Also, I believe Sunset & Vine have a 3 year contract with the football league so it seems it may continue for a couple more seasons.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I've got opinions on the format as well but would be unprofessional of me to display them on here.

At the start of the season they had a list of featured games that ran till the end of September. At the end of September they had a list that ran till the end of November etc etc. This will probably mean we will be featured a lot more in the New Year given our position.

Also, I believe Sunset & Vine have a 3 year contract with the football league so it seems it may continue for a couple more seasons.

A QUARTERLY allocation of games they'll feature irrespective of whose doing well? That's insane. They must be kicking themselves that the "giants" of the FL are so piss poor.

Maxx

Aug 29, 2015
A QUARTERLY allocation of games they'll feature irrespective of whose doing well? That's insane. They must be kicking themselves that the "giants" of the FL are so piss poor.

This happens in most sports productions. You'll see Sky release their televised games schedule a couple of months in advance too. Time is needed to provide a crew to work and there are various other logistics that need to be sorted.

Don't forget that S&V only have 4 hours to turn around goals from 30+ games on a Saturday afternoon. The old BBC show was aired after Match of the Day so production had a lot more time to prepare.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Thanks Maxx for clarifying what I had already thought to be the case. So three games get extended highlights but for two of them any fan of the club is likely to have watched the game live on TV if they weren't there and many will have recorded. So there is only actually one game with any value add from 5. And as for production times, I watched sky's highlights as the train pulled out of Brighton station having run to Falmer station after the game. I get it is a difficult format, and the BBC show was hard work, I rarely watched beyond the championship. But this show is truly awful. The football league should be making a fuss as it is a terrible way to present their product.

Maxx

Aug 29, 2015
You make a good point, I am of the opinion that it doesn't need to be so complicated. Just show the goals and as much action as possible.

Many production companies pitched for these rights and these companies have to try and impress the Football League somehow. Pitching that you just want to show the goals (even if this is the simplest and most effective method) wouldn't exactly thrill the Football League at the start of the season.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This happens in most sports productions. You'll see Sky release their televised games schedule a couple of months in advance too. Time is needed to provide a crew to work and there are various other logistics that need to be sorted.

Don't forget that S&V only have 4 hours to turn around goals from 30+ games on a Saturday afternoon. The old BBC show was aired after Match of the Day so production had a lot more time to prepare.

Please stop making excuses for what is a shockingly badly presented and incredibly poorly produced show.

Maxx

Aug 29, 2015
Please stop making excuses for what is a shockingly badly presented and incredibly poorly produced show.

Why would I be making excuses? It's not my production, I don't care.

I'm giving you an insight on what it's like to work in television production - especially working on a football highlights show. Moron.

Even though I work on the show it's still obvious to see the quality of output.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
There seems to be something wrong at the Amex. Either we have sub-standard cameras, or a lack of editing facilties. I suspect it is the former. The picture quality from our game is shocking and it is really no wonder they don't want to dwell on the highlights. Is this something we need to get sorted out Mr Barber ?

Presumably when the match is televised then high definition production cameras are used, manned by professional cameramen.

The cameras used when a game is not televised appear to be of a much poorer quality and less expertly operated.

I'd be interested to know who is responsible for the equipment and operators as well.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Poor coverage of our game yesterday. We are top, it was exciting and it was brushed under the carpet. I appreciate that C5 have a quick turnaround, but still editorial flexibility should be there during the afternoon. I do not think this format is awful, but the more basic BBC format was infinitely better imo.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The old BBC show was a bit of a plod but it benefited from great presenting and some interesting insights. The channel 5 effort has a disjointed, messy mish mash of a format with dull presenters supplemented with dull guests and extended highlights of teams who are big on history but light on current form getting priority over and over.

As has been very wisely pointed out the FL is a key stakeholder in this drivel and it makes the league look amateurish and overly in awe of some very average teams whilst ignoring those who are in form currently. They should be watching this dilute their brand with keen interest.

Maxx has given me some useful insight inti how it works but the whole show is a massive turd. It's appalling that the millions of fans who have an interest in leagues other than the EPL have to put up with this shit. It makes us look totally noddy.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Due to a family wedding in Manchester, this was the first home game I've missed all season. However, I took with me the same scarf/shirt combo I've worn from the Forest game and kept in touch via my pocket radio. I then left the reception early to get back to my hotel to see the highlights on C5. What a crock of sh1t! Whereas all the other games had extended highlights including several repeats of the goals, all we got from Brighton were some high-altitude shots of the Charlton goals (once only) followed by the same high-altitude shots of the Brighton goals (again once only). And that was it. Utter, utter sh1te! Do Channel 5 have a problem with us? Is there something wrong with the camera locations? I'm glad I don't have to rely on this show for every game or I would think there was a problem between the club and the tv channel. Adam Virgo - do something FFS! (rant over)...... for now......

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The highlights are chosen before the weekend. Normally it's showing the sky matches from Friday and Saturday and then the 3pm match that the football league sell to foreign channels. Next week it's our match at Derby that's being shown live abroad, so expect lots of streams and prime billing on FLT.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Match of the Day cover every game with a proper commentator and generally show the best games first. Not always though as sometimes they go with the big game first like last week with the Leicester v Man U match. The old BBC football show started the top teams first unless they had covered live games previously but the channel 5 show is slowly adapting the BBC format. I know it's shit though and I just fast forward it now to our game. I never did that with the BBC show though. This lot are painful.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I really don't understand why the cameras seem to be a million miles from the pitch, al la the highlights shown last night.

That isn't the case when matches are shown live at the Amex by Sky. Are the cameras in a different place for some reason?, and if so why?
b grade production , b grade payments to club = b grade camera position...???

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Oh no I want stay under the radar until February 2016 if we win against QPR will we have a full House against Middlesbourgh :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here