Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League to switch from three divisions to four

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The atmosphere of evening games are often great - why the hell should we be losing that? Sake. Anyone think our season ticket prices will go down then?

Sat 3pm's are best, evening are often a bit quiet with not enough time to get beered up

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If they bring in Premier League teams and Rangers and Celtic it will kill the soul of English football. It should be teams from the non-league pyramid only.

What would happen to the 2 Champions League places that teams from Scotland currently get if they were brought in? they won't be given to the English Leagues because we have gained the Scottish teams

Plus should they ever join the English leagues, they really should start at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up the divisions, and as a result they would probably lose a lot of match day revenue and increase their costs (travel, etc) until they reach a decent level

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Its a no from me too.

How does it benefit lower league teams who will lose 4 games a season?
There will be less opportunities for tv coverage during heir normal season plus how likely is it that Sky or whoever will show a league 4 or 5 game when they can pick a higher league game instead

There will also be fewer dates for games (unless teams get bye weeks whilst others play) which means that they have to either move games for TV coverage opportunities as they do now which would make a mockery of the reason to reduce games (more played on a Saturday and less midweek games) or allow games to be shown at 3pm on a Saturday

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Football League statement announcing this 'discussion document' stresses no decisions have been taken and nor are recommendations being given, they are simply asking for thoughts on these proposals and then seeing what other ideas those thoughts may throw up.

Read more: http://www.bha.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=566824#ixzz49HkViWlc

No mention of the Scottish clubs or FA Cup.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What would happen to the 2 Champions League places that teams from Scotland currently get if they were brought in? they won't be given to the English Leagues because we have gained the Scottish teams

Plus should they ever join the English leagues, they really should start at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up the divisions, and as a result they would probably lose a lot of match day revenue and increase their costs (travel, etc) until they reach a decent level

I think I once read that if Portsmouth had liquidated and re-formed when they were facing liquidation, they would have been entered at no lower than National/Conference South level because of Health and Safety concerns over the size of their support and the pressures it would put on non-league clubs at a lower level with grounds and costs etc. That said, the Scottish lower league grounds seemed to cope with Rangers okay.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The only thing I would change is going back to North and South for the lower Divisions and cut costs and potentially increase gates.

With so many big and well supported clubs playing in the Championsip I could see the Premier having Division One and Two and screwing the Football League without a care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here