Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football boots worn when you were a yoof!!

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Yep , George Best Stylo Matchmakers (pictures online , does not match the ones I had). Mine were all black, gold signature(no Matchmaker logo) under the ankle , red inners , can't remember the soles. I can still remember that smell when I first opened the box on Christmas day.
After that moved on to Adidas Beckenbauer Supers. Seemed a close runner to the Puma Pele Santos.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Woolworths circa 1967 (don't think they had a name)

Would those be the ones with lurid orange stripes and white moulded studs! Always the sign at our school of who had cash and/or was half decent footie. When the paper round money eventually came in first decent pair were a pair of Adidas clones by Intersport with crucially screw in studs. If you wished to suggest you were a double hard Chopper Harris type you fitted aluminum studs

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Outgrown boots from a second hand shop in North Laine. The boots covered the ankles and the laces were long enough to be tied around the top of the boots. The studs were a "tower" of round pieces of leather secured to the boot by four nails. Incidentally shin pads were thin bamboo canes encased in a leathery like material.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Lancing Rangers U12's. A Cold frosty morning, rock hard frozen ground.. in the mid ish 80's.. Patricks (can't remember the name) with metal studs were the only boot for a budding midfield enforcer. Loved em!
Hated cleaning them though..

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Who remembers these beauty's , can't remember who had them first Alan ball, Alan Hinton, Colin Todd? But talk about an ankle breaker!

image.jpg

theboybilly

That made me laugh Lawro but I really did start out with similar boots. We couldn't afford even these but my junior school provided them....there we were on a Saturday morning sifting through a sack of Stanley Matthews Specials trying to find a decent pair. What a joy it was to be able to afford a pair of my own Slazenger Challenge boots (four blue stripes) complete with padding - they were like gloves on your feet! I was mainly an Adidas fan after a brief spell with a pair of Puma Hat-Tricks...nice boots but the screws pushed through after a while - a problem I never had with Adidas. I finished my playing days wearing Lotto boots. I would still wear predominantly black boots were I still playing now.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sorry to go slightly off-topic, but what trainers are recommended for indoor 5-a-side football? I need something that makes the ball consistently go in the right direction. My walking shoes don't seem to do that. :annoyed:
:goal:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Patrick Kevin Keegans with ally studs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Second pair were Patrick, light blue stripes, bought from Swift Sports......Brightons BEST sports shop bar none.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

My first pair was similar - Stanley Matthews from the Co-Op.These boots were really derived from the normal working boot, and the toe caps were almost as strong as those in safety boots today. The studs were nailed in, and everyone one had the essential piece of equipment - the "cobbler's last", plus the vital dubbin.
Then in the late fifties it all went "continental". Moulded-sole black boots and football shirts like t-shirts instead of the heavy cotton things with collars and button-up sleeves. Laces seemed to be about 4 feet long.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Woolworth 'specials', with orange moulded studs [would have been quite fashionable now !], but my favourites were a pair of Adidas Hansi Muller's, circa 1982'ish

Hansi Mullers.png

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My mum worked in Woolworths so i had Winfield boots with moulded studs, really cheap and nasty.
One day she came home with some that looked very much like Adidas World Cup boots, with screw in studs.

Remember having some really horrible Dunlop football boots, I was wearing them in a match over the pitches in Whitehawk and getting some stick off some older kids standing at the side of the pitch. I really don't remember any other kids wearing Dunlop at the time. :down:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Who remembers these beauty's , can't remember who had them first Alan ball, Alan Hinton, Colin Todd? But talk about an ankle breaker!

attachment.php
I remember the Tufspin being demonstrated on Blue Peter - they never really caught on though.

PS 120 Aigburth Road appears to be a barbers shop now.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Second pair were Patrick, light blue stripes, bought from Swift Sports......Brightons BEST sports shop bar none.
I had a pair of these from Swifts, progressing onto some Adidas a World Cup, Adidas Profi( the blue ones) which were horrible, a Puma King(best boots I ever owned) and now some Copa Mundial which I'm too old and crocked to wear, but too stubborn to part with

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
original_012_IMG_8692.jpg
This photo reminds me of when I was picked to play for my local cub pack. I didn't own any boots at the time but my dad remembered there was an old pair knocking around in the garage that he thought would do the job. Unfortunately they looked like they were from the 1930s. However, they were so old and worn that the studs had completely worn down. Slightly relieved, I thought that would be a good enough reason for my dad to decide to invest in a new pair of boots for me. Oh no, how wrong I was! He had the novel idea of fashioning a complete set of new studs for each boot from cut down wine bottle corks which he had knocking around in a jar for just such an occasion. He knew those corks would come in handy one day. You can imagine the taunts and ridicule I had to endure as I trotted out onto the pitch in Victoria Park, Portslade. By the way the year was about 1971. The one vain hope I clung on to was that they might have a "Billy's Boots" effect like in the comic strip current at the time from the comic "Scorcher and Score"...... I did say it was a "vain" hope.
billypanel.jpg

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
My mum worked in Woolworths so i had Winfield boots with moulded studs, really cheap and nasty.
One day she came home with some that looked very much like Adidas World Cup boots, with screw in studs.

Remember having some really horrible Dunlop football boots, I was wearing them in a match over the pitches in Whitehawk and getting some stick off some older kids standing at the side of the pitch. I really don't remember any other kids wearing Dunlop at the time. :down:

I think I progressed to Dunlop after my "Billy's Boots" phase. I was overjoyed.

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
View attachment 68898
This photo reminds me of when I was picked to play for my local cub pack. I didn't own any boots at the time but my dad remembered there was an old pair knocking around in the garage that he thought would do the job. Unfortunately they looked like they were from the 1930s. However, they were so old and worn that the studs had completely worn down. Slightly relieved, I thought that would be a good enough reason for my dad to decide to invest in a new pair of boots for me. Oh no, how wrong I was! He had the novel idea of fashioning a complete set of new studs for each boot from cut down wine bottle corks which he had knocking around in a jar for just such an occasion. He knew those corks would come in handy one day. You can imagine the taunts and ridicule I had to endure as I trotted out onto the pitch in Victoria Park, Portslade. By the way the year was about 1971. The one vain hope I clung on to was that they might have a "Billy's Boots" effect like in the comic strip current at the time from the comic "Scorcher and Score"...... I did say it was a "vain" hope.
View attachment 68900

:lolol: Very funny story, I should think myself lucky my mum worked in Woolworth and got me discounted Boots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here