Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Food you love that most people would turn their noses up at nowadays?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Definitely like to hear this please CG, not least because you’ve mentioned Frazzles!

It's something very simple based on my observations of Michelin star chefs on the telly using pancakes in Beef Wellington.

The beef is wrapped in pancakes before being wrapped in pastry. This help absorbs excess moisture that can ruin the pastry.

Using the same "moisture avoidance" approach to sausage rolls.

1) Roll the sausage log liberally in fresh breadcrumbs. No need for egg, they will stick. But you must use fresh.

2) Paint the inside of the pastry with a very thin layer of Colemans. This will act as breadcrumb glue because your sausage log is now "non stick".

3) Lay log on pastry and roll up as normal.

You have now created a barrier that will suck up most of the excess fat and moisture from the sausage meat, but like a Beef Wellington.

You will still get some leakage, but overall a far less greasy finish.

When I make sausage rolls I always add a bit dollop of the "holy trinity" to the meat mix > Ketchup, Mustard and HP Sauce.

Nutmeg is also compulsory.

However to counteract the extra moisture, I add a handful of breadcrumbs mixed with either crushed Frazzles or whatever other synthetic bacon hit is to hand.

I used to also mix it up with some added lean pork mince for texture and a couple of bags of crushed pork scratchings.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mmm Smash/instant mash, I remember many years ago being hung over and with nothing much in the cupboards made a large bowl of the stuff topped wit baked beans and grated Red Leicester, really hit the spot that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For many years, a regular student meal of mine was to get a pint pot, full it with mash, frozen peas and gravy granules, add boiling water and stir. Cheap, quick and tasty and sustained me for a good four years or so.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For many years, a regular student meal of mine was to get a pint pot, full it with mash, frozen peas and gravy granules, add boiling water and stir. Cheap, quick and tasty and sustained me for a good four years or so.

No wonder you enjoy fine dining these days :lolol:

Though to be fair, that’s not a bad student meal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No wonder you enjoy fine dining these days :lolol:

Though to be fair, that’s not a bad student meal.

Ha ha. I have certainly served my low-grade apprenticeship when it comes to food.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One of my “minimum wage”’meals while working at HMV in the early 00’s was a cheap pie, usually mince and onion, in a bowl, covered in baked beans and cooked in the microwave. All smooshed into a beany, mincey mash that had very little nutritional value but was stodgy enough to fill the belly. Total cost approx 75p

Then I discovered Lidl’s lasagne tray. Makes about 4 meals, bang in the oven and eat for the next four days. Cost about £2 and was rather tasty.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I heard a stat a while back that, going back millennia, communities in the UK got about 80% of their protein from oysters,
Oysters would feature in my last supper, [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] might like to know that a frangipane type desert would also be there.

The Roman influence ..... almonds?

Apart from that, what have they ever done for us?

Jul 7, 2003
Fray Bentos Mince Beef and Onion Pie from a tin.

I also remember making Junket at school but not something you see these days. Seems like a was a cross between custard and blancmange.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Fray Bentos Mince Beef and Onion Pie from a tin.

I also remember making Junket at school but not something you see these days. Seems like a was a cross between custard and blancmange.

I had never heard of junket until a chef I worked with referred to his old chap as "the blue-veined junket pumper".

The sheltered 15yo kitchen porter I was found it hilarious (I'm not sure I've really matured in that sense either :lolol:)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Mmm Smash/instant mash, I remember many years ago being hung over and with nothing much in the cupboards made a large bowl of the stuff topped wit baked beans and grated Red Leicester, really hit the spot that.

Back last millennium before vegetarianism really got popular one of the few soya products you could get in supermarkets was Sosmix. Dried flavoured soya chunks. I'd mix some Sosmix and Smash and pour boiling water over for a poorman's veggie cottage pie. I wasn't even a vegetarian, just lazy!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's something very simple based on my observations of Michelin star chefs on the telly using pancakes in Beef Wellington.

The beef is wrapped in pancakes before being wrapped in pastry. This help absorbs excess moisture that can ruin the pastry.

1) Roll the sausage log liberally in fresh breadcrumbs. No need for egg, they will stick. But you must use fresh.

2) Paint the inside of the pastry with a very thin layer of Colemans. This will act as breadcrumb glue because your sausage log is now "non stick".

You have now created a barrier that will suck up most of the excess fat and moisture from the sausage meat, but like a Beef Wellington.

When I make sausage rolls I always add a bit dollop of the "holy trinity" to the meat mix > Ketchup, Mustard and HP Sauce.

However to counteract the extra moisture, I add a handful of breadcrumbs mixed with either crushed Frazzles or whatever other synthetic bacon hit is to hand.

I used to also mix it up with some added lean pork mince for texture and a couple of bags of crushed pork scratchings.

Cheers CG, going to try that sometime.

Another too tip if stuck in wilderness and cannot get fire started is….Doritos! Excellent fire starters, burn for ages too.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I think I've heard you mention that before. The addition of synthetic bacon reminds me of this:

(Ignore the photo, obviously)

Screenshot_2022-02-15-12-29-16-708_com.android.chrome.jpg

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I heard a stat a while back that, going back millennia, communities in the UK got about 80% of their protein from oysters,
Oysters would feature in my last supper, [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] might like to know that a frangipane type desert would also be there.

Wow. I'd never thought of that.

Oysters are now on my last supper menu too.

I loved them but suddenly developed a violent allergy and can no longer eat them. But as a last supper - as long as there's not too much delay - they would be fine.

Thanks. You've just brightened my day. I think.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Pilchards, tinned Pilchards... mentioned by Icy I think
Oh, and tinned meat balls (Campbells i think...) - loved these as a student, but not had them since.. looked like dog-food before heating them up!!!!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I love spice and Sichuan dishes are an absolute favourite, especially when it's bloody cold. Here's a couple of 'nasty' dishes I had in China the other week. Pigs brains are top bins though!
4788010877abdd8e93d6d434d8be72b6.jpg
8bea115035b82fc9fd9aa09b8bcb9532.jpg

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I might just give that a go, although swap the gravy with bread sauce [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I love spice and Sichuan dishes are an absolute favourite, especially when it's bloody cold. Here's a couple of 'nasty' dishes I had in China the other week. Pigs brains are top bins though!
4788010877abdd8e93d6d434d8be72b6.jpg
8bea115035b82fc9fd9aa09b8bcb9532.jpg

I'm intrigued - the pig brains - what do they taste like, and texture - always imagine it's like eating a soft cauliflower...

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Fray Bentos cook in the tin meat pies, puff pastry always looked better on tin than in reality after it was cooked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here