Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Food banks

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I usually contribute if they are having a collection at my local supermarket. I heard a harrowing story on the radio the other day about a couple who would run out of money 3 days before their weekly pay day/benefits and had to go hungry themselves so that their kids could eat. What sort of society are we living in these days ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That Tory idiot was crass beyond belief with the porridge versus cereal argument.

However - I do think people could learn with some cooking lessons if nothing else to help them through.

There was a cooking programme on BBC I think last year/this year. Which was remarkable.

Teaching people how good quality mince (or whatever) could get them through the week rather than f***** grouse and all that nonsense on Saturday Kitchen.

What the BBC need to do is do a programme on cooking meals under a fiver.

Luckily I'm not in poverty, spend far too much on food but know how to cook cos my mum taught me.

I bought a rice cooker from ALDI for ten quid. You can throw all sort of scraps in there (with some rice) and it cooks itself. You'd be charged a tenner in a spanish restuarant.

It doesn't need to be that patronising nonsense cooked up by Jamie Oliver et all either...

Other problem is that the "cheap cuts" you can cook for hours are now OH SO TRENDY. I got into Brisket. Lovely but the price has gone through the roof now the Guardian has got it's teeth into it.

They should really make cooking complusary in school. There is definately a lost generation, it appears these days that cooking is a "lifestyle" choice.

You are battling against fast food chains though. I had one of those days the other day, didn't eat lunch had to travel across London to see my Uncle and was starving.

I was amazed how much crap you get from one of those Kentucky clones for under a fiver.

The it's cheaper to cook isn't really true anymore. You can if you plan and know how to cook. Otherwise it can be cheaper on the High Street if you happy to eat cheap low quality chicken imported on mass from the far east.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I usually contribute if they are having a collection at my local supermarket. I heard a harrowing story on the radio the other day about a couple who would run out of money 3 days before their weekly pay day/benefits and had to go hungry themselves so that their kids could eat. What sort of society are we living in these days ?

Send the kids out collecting empties like our parents did. What is this world coming to. They'll be banning the birch soon.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
They had a phone in a few weeks ago on Radio 5 about food banks. A woman rang with 5 children and claimed she couldn't afford to feed them proper food, "I can only afford to give them chicken and chips for a quid"

They are people that are hungry but in most cases it could be completely avoided. They just can't cook a cheap meal with decent fresh ingredients or the money is going somewhere else

So you've taken a quote from a radio programme a 'few weeks ago' without any context and deduced that 'in most cases it (the use of food banks) could be completely avoided'. Not quite an open and shut case is it?

Pillory the poor, that way we'll convince ourselves that everything is rosy in the British economy.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you've taken a quote from a radio programme a 'few weeks ago' without any context and deduced that 'in most cases it (the use of food banks) could be completely avoided'. Not quite an open and shut case is it?

Pillory the poor, that way we'll convince ourselves that everything is rosy in the British economy.

So where exactly did you deduce your view.

Do let us all know your own experiences of food banks, either being a recipient or contributor ??

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

A very apt question. The answer is very difficult. Do we know more about this family's circumstances? What did they spend it on to get into such a situation, and if life is this bad, why is not every family on benefits making such similar claims? Was the benefit simply not enough or were they profligate with their cash? We just don't know. Of course it might not be their fault in the slightest, but yet again they could just be reckless people. I would be very wary of taking one family and then asking such a wide-ranging question.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So where exactly did you deduce your view.

Do let us all know your own experiences of food banks, either being a recipient or contributor ??

My view is that people are using food banks because they are in poverty. I'm not so cynical to think that they're using food banks because either they're not able cook or they're being frivolous with their money. People are desperately poor in this country, some people struggle to accept that.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My view is that people are using food banks because they are in poverty. I'm not so cynical to think that they're using food banks because either they're not able cook or they're being frivolous with their money. People are desperately poor in this country, some people struggle to accept that.

I would fully accept that there are poor people in this country -it has always been the case and sadly, always will be. What is not nearly so clear is why they are poor. Doubtless low wages play a considerable part and inability to work due to poor health etc. but would you blame the government if their relative poverty is as a result of someone ignoring all the warnings about, say, drug addiction, and spending cash on heroin. I think you are being rather naïve if you think that people will not take advantage of a freebie, as it is human nature. Of course food banks serve a purpose, and doubtless do much good, but to say that some people are not being frivolous with their money is a very bold claim.
I don't think people struggle to accept that there is poverty at all, as such, but many will know folk with little or no cash, due to their own irresponsible behaviour, and this is what creates cynicism about food banks.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

So your analysis is as personal and subjective as everyone else.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My brother in law helps run a food bank and from what he has told me i have come to the conclusion they are helping to meet genuine needs..and in view of that i try to support them (by giving) ..there may be some people who get help who might not be that in need, but if thats the price to pay for making sure those who are get it, then so be it. I'm just grateful that i currently don't have any worries over having enough money for food and paying my bills.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
My brother in law helps run a food bank and from what he has told me i have come to the conclusion they are helping to meet genuine needs..and in view of that i try to support them (by giving) ..there may be some people who get help who might not be that in need, but if thats the price to pay for making sure those who are get it, then so be it. I'm just grateful that i currently don't have any worries over having enough money for food and paying my bills.

Thanks for this. I can certainly see what you are saying. That is indeed the price, if you have food banks. Yes, I too do not have to worry, thank goodness, particularly so at this time of year. Anyway, I have enough worries at a certain stadium near you . .

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So your analysis is as personal and subjective as everyone else.

No - I'm drawing the logical conclusion that people are using food banks because they don't have enough money to buy their own food. Some are arguing that in most cases the lack of money is due to either being unable to cook or spending their money frivolously, I think the onus is on those claiming this to provide some support for their argument.

From my perspective, we know that use of food banks has sky rocketed, does that mean that the lack of cooking skills and frivolous spending has also risen exponentially. We also know that the price of housing, fuel and food has risen far quicker than income, particular for those at the lower end of the earning spectrum.

So no, I don't believe my analysis is subjective, it is based on some pretty solid facts.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I would fully accept that there are poor people in this country -it has always been the case and sadly, always will be. What is not nearly so clear is why they are poor. Doubtless low wages play a considerable part and inability to work due to poor health etc. but would you blame the government if their relative poverty is as a result of someone ignoring all the warnings about, say, drug addiction, and spending cash on heroin. I think you are being rather naïve if you think that people will not take advantage of a freebie, as it is human nature. Of course food banks serve a purpose, and doubtless do much good, but to say that some people are not being frivolous with their money is a very bold claim.
I don't think people struggle to accept that there is poverty at all, as such, but many will know folk with little or no cash, due to their own irresponsible behaviour, and this is what creates cynicism about food banks.

I am certainly not saying that nobody is being frivolous, but it's an easy bat for the right to beat the poor with and it's shameful - In any case, for that small % of people who are spending on drink and drugs, surely bringing them in to the system and facing their problems is a good thing? Again, remember that people cannot just rock up to a food bank and do a 'weekly shop'.

Worth reading some of these pieces:-

http://www.trusselltrust.org/foodbank-report
http://www.trusselltrust.org/real-stories
http://www.trusselltrust.org/stats

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No - I'm drawing the logical conclusion that people are using food banks because they don't have enough money to buy their own food. Some are arguing that in most cases the lack of money is due to either being unable to cook or spending their money frivolously, I think the onus is on those claiming this to provide some support for their argument.

From my perspective, we know that use of food banks has sky rocketed, does that mean that the lack of cooking skills and frivolous spending has also risen exponentially. We also know that the price of housing, fuel and food has risen far quicker than income, particular for those at the lower end of the earning spectrum.

So no, I don't believe my analysis is subjective, it is based on some pretty solid facts.

Ok lets put some meat on the bones .....

I will start with a non working single Mum of two young children ( 1-4yrs ) living in Brighton.

Her entitlements are as follows:

Tax Credits £116.38 per week
Jobseeker's Allowance £72.40 per week
Housing Benefit £190.57 per week
Child Benefit £34.05 per week
Total Entitlements £413.40 per week

She also has an entitlement to:

Local Welfare Fund ( for those on benefits with emergency needs )
Free School Meals ( Includes Healthy Start coupons for free vitamins and weekly voucher to buy milks and frozen vegetable or infant formula milk )
NHS Low Income Scheme ( Includes NHS prescriptions, Free NHS Dental Treatment, Free Sight Tests, Galsses and Contact Lenses )
Home Improvement Grants
Discretionary Housing Payment
Warm Homes Discount

It seems a fair and far reaching benefit system.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

1kg of oats 60p, 2l of milk £1 from Lidl. And parents are sending kids to school hungry...

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Ok lets put some meat on the bones .....

I will start with a non working single Mum of two young children ( 1-4yrs ) living in Brighton.

Her entitlements are as follows:

Tax Credits £116.38 per week
Jobseeker's Allowance £72.40 per week
Housing Benefit £190.57 per week
Child Benefit £34.05 per week
Total Entitlements £413.40 per week

She also has an entitlement to:

Local Welfare Fund ( for those on benefits with emergency needs )
Free School Meals ( Includes Healthy Start coupons for free vitamins and weekly voucher to buy milks and frozen vegetable or infant formula milk )
NHS Low Income Scheme ( Includes NHS prescriptions, Free NHS Dental Treatment, Free Sight Tests, Galsses and Contact Lenses )
Home Improvement Grants
Discretionary Housing Payment
Warm Homes Discount

It seems a fair and far reaching benefit system.

I (honestly) don't have the time to go and put together the expense side of this particular P&L, but I suspect we may be surprised about how little that covers. Meanwhile, take a read of this:-

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2013/apr/02/iain-duncan-smith-mp-living-on-benefits

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I am certainly not saying that nobody is being frivolous, but it's an easy bat for the right to beat the poor with and it's shameful - In any case, for that small % of people who are spending on drink and drugs, surely bringing them in to the system and facing their problems is a good thing? Again, remember that people cannot just rock up to a food bank and do a 'weekly shop'.

Thanks for this. I fully realise that you were not saying that, I was just attempting to give reasons as to why people use food banks. You do spoil your argument but saying that those on the right etc etc - it is never going to be that simple. I am sure that the vast majority of folk would welcome help for those genuinely in need, but would need to be persuaded that they are really unable to help themselves. I do not fully understand your point here about drug users facing their problems - of course they should do so, but if they can use a food bank, and thus avoid paying for food, where in reality do you think the rest of the money would go on? I don't see that this would help them to face their problems.
Thanks, I do appreciate that you cannot go simply for a weekly shop -might go myself if that were the case!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I (honestly) don't have the time to go and put together the expense side of this particular P&L, but I suspect we may be surprised about how little that covers. Meanwhile, take a read of this:-

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2013/apr/02/iain-duncan-smith-mp-living-on-benefits

I am afraid that including such a link as "proof" is not going to have much of an impression. All to often posts include links which invariably give their particular slant, suggesting that this is the facts we all need. Applies to all shades, by the way! Was there not a Guardian journalist who appeared in a Labour Party Political Broadcast, giving the impression of being poor?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here