vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
food bank.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The fact that they exist at all is a bad sign, if we were to hear of food banks throwing food away as they can't find people to give it to then maybe, the next question would be " why do people start food banks ? "

Coming home very late from work the other day I stopped at the petrol station in Findon on the A24 which has the Marx and Spencers shop on it. They were in the process of throwing out at least 50 reduced sandwiches and pies galore into a large dustbin to dump round the back. I said I'd have a cheese one but she refused to let me have one unless I paid for it. That had been my intention but I asked her why they couldn't just drop them off to a food shelter somewhere. "Not allowed" she said. "Company policy"
Seemed such a waste.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Coming home very late from work the other day I stopped at the petrol station in Findon on the A24 which has the Marx and Spencers shop on it. They were in the process of throwing out at least 50 reduced sandwiches and pies galore into a large dustbin to dump round the back. I said I'd have a cheese one but she refused to let me have one unless I paid for it. That had been my intention but I asked her why they couldn't just drop them off to a food shelter somewhere. "Not allowed" she said. "Company policy"
Seemed such a waste.

M&S in Worthing used to donate their out of date ready meals to charities but it was not widely publicised, maybe the policy has changed.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
From what I remember they said they often " Invited themselves " to relatives houses for a meal out as another way of coping. They certainly did not sound reckless to me but the question is still valid.

I grew up in a small terraced house, my father did not earn great money and my mother had a part time cleaning job. I don't recall many family holidays and waking up in winter was not fun as we had parrafin heaters in the bedrooms to keep warm as central heating didn't exist but still we always had food to eat.

I can never remember hearing of Food Banks until about 10 years ago, so what went wrong ? why do we need them now in country which is allegedly the 6th biggest economy in the world with an average salary of £27,000 in the year ending April 2013 ?

Thanks for your reply. Of course what people say on the news is always going to sound as if they are doing their best -have you ever heard anyone say -well, it is down to my stupidity/selfishness etc? Yes, I recall those winter mornings in the 60s with ice on the inside, as well.
Regarding your last para, this is what I simply can't fathom out. We hear of an ever -upward spiralling social security budget, that Britain is generous with its benefits, (another post details the range of benefits open to everyone in need) and it is the 6th wealthiest country in the world, so why are they in existence. They never used to be, and I am sure that not so long ago, times were harder then, certainly before, say, the 50s. I am not an expert or an economist or whatever, and certainly would not begrudge anyone in genuine need, but as a layman it just seems so odd that anyone should be that hungry.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... why they couldn't just drop them off to a food shelter somewhere. "Not allowed" she said. "Company policy"
Seemed such a waste.

many shops do hand over food at the end of the day to a local group, but there might not be one handy in the area, that has the need. i recall one London charity being overwhelmed by the amount they got, they then had the responsibility of disposal of anything left over. and of course neither shop or charity can keep it past its sell by/use by date, it has to be disposed of. thems the rules (and thinking about it, we probably dont want to start giving people 2 or 3 day old sandwiches or allowing shops to re-label food because it looks OK.)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Seemed such a waste.

I think most people accept that it seems absurd, but that is just an indication of an abundance of food not a lack of it, which perhaps is an indication of the success of our society, although it is less so when in the context of world hunger.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As a pensioner, that's exactly what you're doing!

I have paid into the system for 50 years though.

But your fellow citizens cannot underwrite your wealth, we hope that we might all accept responsibility by tax take for your basic well being, health and care but yours and mines equity whether current or future yet to be determined cannot be, why should it be when the very people that have a genuine need for food-banks have no such wealth that need that security.

The state can only offer a safety net of minimum requirement of need, beyond that we try to function as best we can with considered risk and unknown outcome.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm not sure how you define 'disposable income', but in my mind it doesn't include the cost of feeding your family, or heating your home, or other essential expenditure.

Not just your mind.

Does anyone on here with so many responsibilities - including mortgages, children, household bill and other obligations - actually have £220 per week disposable income? Good for them if they do, but it just doesn't happen in the real world of relative hardship (save maybe the extremely tiny proportion of fraudulent benefit claims - 0.7% according to the government) - only in the fantasy scenario being concocted.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not just your mind.

Does anyone on here with so many responsibilities - including mortgages, children, household bill and other obligations - actually have £220 per week disposable income? Good for them if they do, but it just doesn't happen in the real world of relative hardship (save maybe the extremely tiny proportion of fraudulent benefit claims - 0.7% according to the government) - only in the fantasy scenario being concocted.

I am not sure if I have read it correctly, but I have read it a few times and it seems to say that you feel that the example of the benefit recipient has a good outcome compared to many others.

But accepting you are unlikely to offer such an opinion in response to my post then I am guessing either your post is gobbledygook or I have misread your words.

By the way HKFC offered a wholly inaccurate interpretation of disposable income, it usually is the amount that is left after tax which is uniform and comparable, where as the other factors after this are totally flexible in terms of its impact on the money left after this, of course you might say 'disposable income, after essential expenditure'' but it doesnt really mean much as 'essential expenditure' might be considerably more or less between two people with the same income..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are actually correct about the proper definition of the term, to be fair.

I'd still maintain that what I've said, is what most people understand it to mean, and how they use it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I'd still maintain that what I've said, is what most people understand it to mean, and how they use it.

Its a mealy mouthed effort to acknowledge a mistake that you made to try and undermine a view and then stand by it anyway .....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its a mealy mouthed effort to acknowledge a mistake that you made to try and undermine a view and then stand by it anyway .....

Whatever you say. I do stand by it. Most people's usage of the term 'disposable income' I'd exactly as I suggested - available funds for luxuries, after all essential expenditure.

Others can feel free to put me straight, if they wish.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whatever you say. I do stand by it. Most people's usage of the term 'disposable income' I'd exactly as I suggested - available funds for luxuries, after all essential expenditure.

I agree with you.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Jeeeez make your mind up, you have admitted why the term disposal income is what it is, you were wrong and I was right, get over it.

You cannot rewrite accuracy for gods sake, you cannot factor in a wholly flexible and undetermined expenditure and try to fob it off as some defined fixed cost that might be added to an individuals expense account just to fit your position.

Dont be so bloody daft.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
B

This is how I see it as well.

Disposable income = drink, pies, replica shirts and away tickets and travel.

(Not that I would ever wear a replica shirt)

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This. When I think of my disposable income I aint thinking of my rent.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This. When I think of my disposable income I aint thinking of my rent.

But then it is not clear indication of your disposable income.

Those are flexible costs that absolutely mean nothing, I suppose you can factor in some average or likely cost or ask for specific details to ascertain if he has enough money to frivolously buy a pie, but its just another layer of undefined costs.

If you have a disposable income in the real terms of say £60.00 per week or perhaps £1,000 per week it offers a clearer picture, rather than the £1,000 per week guy saying he has just £100 disposable income because unbeknownst to you he spends £900 per week on a swanky apartment and heating system.

You can all cuddle and commiserate with HKFC as much as you like, but as he has admitted no doubt after a few googles and frantic text to a bookeeper mate his original snide swipe has embarrassingly failed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here