Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

flying sedation advice - urgent

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ello.

Flying bk from NY tonight (7.5hours) and wanted to know if it was safe to take sedatives to get through it. Every single time I fly long haul I get a respiratory infection, initially dry sore throat, headache which starts about two hours in and then sore legs, cramps etc. By the time we land I feel shocking. I'm not a nervous flyer and just want to sleep and wake up back at Heathrow.

Can anybody recommend something I can buy OTC here in the US to get me through the flight? Every time I return home (8-10 previous holidays in US) ive come back poorly straight onto antibiotics and I swear its due somehow to the flights.

Advice welcome

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Never mind, googled it. Yep that's right. Any other suggestions aside from booze?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I always take Melatonin and it works fine , you can get it in any of the chain pharmacies in New York: Duane Reade, Walgreens, CVS will all stock it. Hope this helps and that you enjoyed NYC

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Try mellotonin, get the biggest dose you can. Its quite gentle (3mg certainly is) though.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Red eye?

Booze doesn't make me tired, it does make my throat so dry though that sleeping is absolutely impossible

Not even red wine? Not trying to be pithy here, honestly. Just find that demolishing a few glasses of red on a night flight absolutely knocks me out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not even red wine? Not trying to be pithy here, honestly. Just find that demolishing a few glasses of red on a night flight absolutely knocks me out.

Used to do night flights to Hong Kong a fair bit. Couple of glasses of red and a Nytol did the trick. Wouldn't recommend it as a permanent lifestyle choice but it was fine for me as a one off.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Little Green Pills and/or Benadryl if OTC. I always go with Ambien on LH flights. Wheels up to wheels down will be 6hr 30m tonight if no congestion @ LHR. Good luck

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Can you get hold of any diazepam or temazepam? You'll have the most comfortable flight of your life with no worries and you'll sleep like a log.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ello.

Flying bk from NY tonight (7.5hours) and wanted to know if it was safe to take sedatives to get through it. Every single time I fly long haul I get a respiratory infection, initially dry sore throat, headache which starts about two hours in and then sore legs, cramps etc. By the time we land I feel shocking. I'm not a nervous flyer and just want to sleep and wake up back at Heathrow.

Can anybody recommend something I can buy OTC here in the US to get me through the flight? Every time I return home (8-10 previous holidays in US) ive come back poorly straight onto antibiotics and I swear its due somehow to the flights.

Advice welcome

If it's an infection, I don't see what a sedative will do, other than you sleeping through the flight - you'd still be ill, unless it's something you're doing in-flight

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
Ello.

Advice welcome

Bottle of JD before you board,sorted

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
You've probably checked in now or in the air so probably too late. Not sure if you can get sedatives over the counter anyway or a quick visit to a GP who will prescribe something promptly as I've never been to the USA and their drug laws (legal or illicit) are quite tough I think.

There's a lot of bacteria on planes that are breathed in. Maybe your body is sensitive to that?

Hope you arrive home healthy. :thumbsup:

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Don't tell the doctor that you want a sedative for flying as mentioned above. As your not allowed to take them before or on a flight, incase of an emergency.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Over to you, @Questions

Right now you're in my area. 10mg of Valium and a few drinks if you are a novice or 30 mgs or maybe an extra cheeky one if you fancy if you are are hardcore. If you get things wrong then expect to be taken off an aircraft at gunpoint in Budapest or wherever you are going. Who wants to go back there anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here