Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flying ants

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yep, the seagulls are having a rest from fish and chips and are all holidaying in Westdene where they are using the thermals tp feast on ants a plenty today.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
The black garden ant (Lasius niger) produces large, winged queens at this time of year, which incredibly synchronise their mating flights with thousands of other colonies all on the same afternoon. The smaller winged males join the queens and mate with them in mid-air, then the queens return to earth, lose their wings and seek a new site to set up a new colony of ants. Most queens are not successful, but those that are may live 10-15 years laying eggs for the new colony.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ants can carry 20 times their own body weight, so that's like us carrying a car.
So I have it in my mind a flying ant the size of a Chinook helicopter, beggars belief :eek:.

If a queen ant dies, the whole colony die.
Start singing boys.........
'God save our gracious queen (ant)....
Long live our noble queen (ant)......' :)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Had a couple of hills in my old greenhouse. It looked mental when they all took off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just seen this thread- was having a bbq tonight but decided to eat indoors as it was thick with the buggers in the garden tonight..........incredible sight (and only slightly annoying)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Had a couple of hills in my old greenhouse. It looked mental when they all took off.

Being inside a green house,i would imagine they come out far more frequently than say out of a kerbside by the road....would this assumption be correct?

Just seen this thread- was having a bbq tonight but decided to eat indoors as it was thick with the buggers in the garden tonight..........incredible sight (and only slightly annoying)

Well there's none around my place in Burgess Hill ffs.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Got a hole somewhere buggers indoors it's all out war In wisborough green I swear house was built on ants nest

Place a spoon full of wet sugar on the floor,preferably a hard floor surface,get a few path finders to find the sweet treat,allow some time for others to arrive and you have 3 options..

A-place a bucket over them and slide cardboard under and take outside.

B-use some ant powder.

C-get a deodorant can and lighter.

Option C- is usually reserved for flying gnats above lamps in the corner of the room..

put sugar on the cardboard makes more sense..

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just come back from walking the dog between Coldean and Hollingbury fort: the air was thick with them. They were in my ears and mouth, down my shirt, up my shorts ... everywhere. The dog was doing a valiant job in catching them mid-air but it wasn't a great walk for us

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Being inside a green house,i would imagine they come out far more frequently than say out of a kerbside by the road....would this assumption be correct?

Dont really know, when I went out to the GH the doors etc were shut and they were all swarming about inside so had already come out in the main. imagine 100 flies in a jam jar!

I opened up the GH and put some ant killer down, it got a few dozen but i reckon most had come out already. So no real idea.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I also had an attempted infestation out of nowhere by a swarm of them these ***** this afternoon. Killed them all with fly-spray, of which I have now run out.

You vindictive *******. :lolol:

I put some powder out again today. Nippon. If I ever have to go away this time of year, my patioo and lawn have been so indermined they look like the planet Skaro after the Time Wars :glare::annoyed::angry::wozza::lolol::bigwave:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here