Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Fly over Brighton (from Shoreham Airport)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi, we’ve an idea for a 70th birthday present for my father-in-law. A born n bred Brightonian, perhaps a short flight from Shoreham Airport over Brighton and some of our glorious Sussex coastline.

Have any of you done something like this and/or can recommend a business flying from Shoreham?

Cheers.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Click here.

An hour flying all the way along to Beachy head and Eastbourne for just under £300.
Or
I remember having a "flying lesson" but more of a "flying experience" a long time back where I was asked where I might want to go. So we flew over my house at the time.
From Shoreham.
I'm certain there will be reviews of the company above online.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How about a helicopter ride? They were certainly available from Shoreham a few years ago - and didn't cost anything like as much as a Spitfire ride either!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wouldn’t it be easier to fly from Brighton City Airport?

Lovely idea for a present.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Hi, we’ve an idea for a 70th birthday present for my father-in-law. A born n bred Brightonian, perhaps a short flight from Shoreham Airport over Brighton and some of our glorious Sussex coastline.

Have any of you done something like this and/or can recommend a business flying from Shoreham?

Cheers.
Lovely present for him.

I’ve done both 2 seat planes and helicopters from Shoreham. They were flying taster lessons and both great. 1 hour ones will give plenty of time and they both asked whereabouts I’d like to travel. If I recall the helicopter one was ‘Fast Helicopters’

Either which you book he is bound to have a great time.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lovely present for him.

I’ve done both 2 seat planes and helicopters from Shoreham. They were flying taster lessons and both great. 1 hour ones will give plenty of time and they both asked whereabouts I’d like to travel. If I recall the helicopter one was ‘Fast Helicopters’

Either which you book he is bound to have a great time.

Thank you. Have you got the weblinks to the companies you used please?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did it in one of the small planes they rent out at Shoreham, lasted about an hour and paid £100 I think (pilot time was free as a friend of a friend). Well worth it.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I cant recall the cost, but it wasnt overly expensive, I took my Mum on a helicopter ride from Shoreham, went along the coast, and flew over the Amex on the way back. Was a great trip. Well worth it

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I once undertook a helicopter lesson from Shoreham Airport to the pier and back. Brilliant.

Flying a helicopter in a straight line was easier than I thought. However, hovering in the air with the chopper still was virtually impossible, I don’t think I’d ever be able to balance the 4 controls to keep one of those stationary in the air. Luckily my instructor was able to rescue the situation each time we plunged to earth in a spin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did this around 20 odd years ago, it was a birthday present also. It was a lovely summer day and we flew in a very small 4 seater, I was in the front. We left Shoreham, flew over millionaires row and out over the sea where we then headed down the coast to Newhaven where I’m from. We took a left at Newhaven along the Ouse to Lewes then left at Lewes over the Downs and back to Shoreham. It was fantastic, I loved it. I’m sure your folk will.

Aside from the trip the over long lasting memory was of a family also on a similar trip with a young child dressed in a full spaceman's outfit complete with round “moon-landing” style helmet. I liked his style and thinking.

I cannot remember who flew as it was 20 odd years ago.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Thank you. Have you got the weblinks to the companies you used please?
Mmm, helicopter one I did was longer ago than I remembered and it looks like Fast Helicopters are no more. However there now is https://shorehamhelicopters.co.uk/

and fixed wing planes https://www.intotheblue.co.uk/experiences/shoreham-airport/

Edit, Just remembered that I also did a Tiger Moth experience from Shoreham as well, I think they were called Perry Air or something like that.

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yes Perry Air for the Tiger Moth from Shoreham aka Brighton City Airport

Paid £300 for a one-hour flight for my Dad's 90th a couple of years back.
He was a pilot in the RAF just after the war and did many hours in the TM as it was his first aircraft to fly and first trainer.
They flew along the coast, did a couple of circles over his house at Saltdean. Flew on to East Dean, then turned north, saw the Long Man of Wilmington from above. Flew along the top of the downs and then back to Shoreham.

He was given the controls for a while.
Thoroughly enjoyed it and gave him a massive trip down memory lane.

It is expensive, but as a one-off special - hard to beat.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Cheers.
I did for my 40th.

Was sick as a parrot in a small Cessna type thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here