Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

flexi4 package

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But you're just thinking about you - and this is the problem. If you live, or can travel from, the optimum place (ie at the edge of the zone), and you can afford a season ticket, you aren't doing too badly. But thousands of fans, or potential fans, don't. They live closer, or further away, and the actual matchday ticket price is key.

I was responding to your point that Albion season ticket holders have got used to paying prices that are too much. I'm giving an example that many, in my opinion, are not paying too much.

You haven't included the individual matchday prices in your calculations, and you need to.

Why do I? I was responding specifically to your point about season ticket holders.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Really?

Those in the North Stand (and similar) who have the same sort of travel will be paying £12.92 per match.
Incredible value.

I haven't thought about those figures for a while but I have noticed that trips to The Amex "feel" like good value compared to everything else I shell out for...

A few cans of beer and a bottle of pop out of the fridge. Crisps and snacks out of the cupboard. Down to Eastbourne station and we can do what could easily be a £100 day out without me having to put my hand in my pocket at all...!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was responding to your point that Albion season ticket holders have got used to paying prices that are too much. I'm giving an example that many, in my opinion, are not paying too much.

Why do I?.

Because if you don't, it looks like you don't give a **** about anyone other than yourself, and not everyone has a season ticket, and future support is very important. Unless you're deliberately ignoring the issue, I did state very clearly that the problem was especially bad for matchday prices and I also acknowledged that someone in your situation was fortunate enough to be doing okay out of it.

Tell you what, I'll do it for you. If someone wanted to come to the game against Hull (Cat B) in say the Upper West Central, they'd pay now £34 for that game plus a £1 online. They could go North and pay £30. They'd pay £15 to park if they wanted to drive, if that was the easiest way for them to get there. If they lived in Brighton and trained it, they'd benefit to the tune of £3.40. That's not £12.90 a match, is it?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Because if you don't, it looks like you don't give a **** about anyone other than yourself, and not everyone has a season ticket, and future support is very important. Unless you're deliberately ignoring the issue, I did state very clearly that the problem was especially bad for matchday prices and I also acknowledged that someone in your situation was fortunate enough to be doing okay out of it.

Tell you what, I'll do it for you. If someone wanted to come to the game against Hull (Cat B) in say the Upper West Central, they'd pay now £34 for that game plus a £1 online. They could go North and pay £30. They'd pay £15 to park if they wanted to drive, if that was the easiest way for them to get there. If they lived in Brighton and trained it, they'd benefit to the tune of £3.40. That's not £12.90 a match, is it?
You obviously have a different and valid point but why on earth would your poor punter not use the free park and ride if they drove to the match?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You obviously have a different and valid point but why on earth would your poor punter not use the free park and ride if they drove to the match?

That is of course a very valid point, I'm sure most of us have and do whenever we can - but they do fill up, and sometimes you just want to try and get away quicker (or get there late) for other life reasons.

I don't want to lose the point here, though. I think this is a really good initiative from the club. It's just that when you do the calculations, the one advanced always seems to be based on a season ticket holder in the North living on the edge of the travel zone. If we care about the actual whole body of fans, especially those who do want to come but not as a STH, that is not the whole story.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I completely agree that match day prices are very high but, once again, I was not responding to that point (which is why I edited your post to show very clearly what part of it I was replying to).

If our season ticket prices were much too high, as you maintain, we simply would not sell c20,000 of them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Watching county level £5 Ryeman Premiere £10 Last season i watched the fa cup from pre-preliminary round to final after the semi final the most i paid was £16 for a game. Plenty of affordable football out there folks!:thumbsup:

Cup matches are generally cheaper. I paid a tenner at Walsall last week.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That is of course a very valid point, I'm sure most of us have and do whenever we can - but they do fill up, and sometimes you just want to try and get away quicker (or get there late) for other life reasons.

I can guarantee that if the parking adjacent to the Amex was free, they'd be full far earlier than any of the P+R sites.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm sure he would:moo: If he could confirm travel from my front door to inside the ground in 10 minutes and complete freedom to watch from any part of the ground would be nice,plus assurances that my money would not be thrown at some cocky little blighter for one weeks work i'm in:thumbsup:

Given that you used to be a Brighton supporter but now your frequent posts knocking the club and continually extolling the virtues of lower league football clearly indicate that you've lost your Albion mojo, why do you bother posting on here any more?

You come across like some sad agent provocateur, attempting to undermine support for the Albion but I should imagine the success of your efforts would be negligible.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I completely agree that match day prices are very high but, once again, I was not responding to that point (which is why I edited your post to show very clearly what part of it I was replying to).

If our season ticket prices were much too high, as you maintain, we simply would not sell c20,000 of them.

Trust me, I agree if you fall into a certain category of STH and you attend every match, you're doing all right. Even then, I know that 8 of the Premier League clubs have cheaper lowest price season tickets than us. If any of us can be bothered we could look at the Championship's lowest price STs, but I think we all know we'd be in the relegation zone in that list.

Despite all that the matchday issue is much worse, and I am glad they have addressed it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. Even then, I know that 8 of the Premier League clubs have cheaper lowest price season tickets than us. .

Just as you know that any comparison with Premier League clubs is worthless. Its simply an entirely different business model, where the relative importance of ticket income is massively reduced.

Given that you used to be a Brighton supporter but now your frequent posts knocking the club and continually extolling the virtues of lower league football clearly indicate that you've lost your Albion mojo, why do you bother posting on here any more?

You come across like some sad agent provocateur, attempting to undermine support for the Albion but I should imagine the success of your efforts would be negligible.

Still a Brighton fan but not a lover of the modern football model,just because i support the Albion does not mean i am unable to see the bigger picture,happy to pop along to the Albion when a £20 ticket is knocking about,managed this 4 times last season 2 draws 2 wins! Maybe if more people adopted this attitude entrance fees would come down.If Germany can make it work i'm sure we could(a few more quid swilling around from sky in this country) I'm not sure just falling in with the lickers helps tbh,Brighton have got so much right fantastic ground,huge crowds,brilliant board and our best ever pr machine but still losing millions each year.Can you see the problem?:moo:

PS I love the sad agent provocateur bit:moo:

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just as you know that any comparison with Premier League clubs is worthless. Its simply an entirely different business model, where the relative importance of ticket income is massively reduced.

What a bizarre thing to say, of course it isn't worthless. And clubs - Premier League or Championship - are always going to have different policies and be fairer/less fair to fans.

One of the pricing things I remember from recent years (mindful of your point about the massive TV revenues in the PL) was what Derby said last year. You may remember that when we were in the play-offs the ST prices were released for 'early-bird' renewal, but Barber said there would be more to pay if we got promoted. At Derby last year in exactly the same context in March/April, they said fans would get a 50 per cent reduction on STs if they got promoted, using a pretty small chunk of the TV money to reward their loyalty.

Premier League clubs do not view ticket revenue as without value. It is 'as well as' rather than 'instead of' TV revenue. It might be a much lower percentage these days, but don't you imagine a lot of thought goes in to what to charge and how to fill up grounds with some regard for fans? It's still about setting a price and selling tickets for a live sporting event, filling a stadium and keeping fans onside.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What a bizarre thing to say, of course it isn't worthless. And clubs - Premier League or Championship - are always going to have different policies and be fairer/less fair to fans.

One of the pricing things I remember from recent years (mindful of your point about the massive TV revenues in the PL) was what Derby said last year. You may remember that when we were in the play-offs the ST prices were released for 'early-bird' renewal, but Barber said there would be more to pay if we got promoted. At Derby last year in exactly the same context in March/April, they said fans would get a 50 per cent reduction on STs if they got promoted, using a pretty small chunk of the TV money to reward their loyalty.

Premier League clubs do not view ticket revenue as without value. It is 'as well as' rather than 'instead of' TV revenue. It might be a much lower percentage these days, but don't you imagine a lot of thought goes in to what to charge and how to fill up grounds with some regard for fans? It's still about setting a price and selling tickets for a live sporting event, filling a stadium and keeping fans onside.

And we have pretty much the highest gates in the division? Yet you seem so convinced we have it all wrong?

I don't understand your point about Derby either. Surely the fact they were able to offer to reduce their ticket prices in the Prem, just serves to illustrate what I was saying - that trying to compare our prices with Prem clubs is pointless. They can afford to drop them and still compete. We can't.

What we WOULD have done if we'd gone up is another question entirely.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One of the pricing things I remember from recent years (mindful of your point about the massive TV revenues in the PL) was what Derby said last year. You may remember that when we were in the play-offs the ST prices were released for 'early-bird' renewal, but Barber said there would be more to pay if we got promoted.

No he didn't. The club said: "A further review of season ticket pricing will take place should the club secure promotion to the Premier League." Of course, that probably meant an upward review, but it wasn't said as you stated.

You've also neglected to state that the club also said prices for this season would be reviewed had we been relegated last season and, again.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No he didn't. The club said: "A further review of season ticket pricing will take place should the club secure promotion to the Premier League." Of course, that probably meant an upward review, but it wasn't said as you stated.

You've also neglected to state that the club also said prices for this season would be reviewed had we been relegated last season and, again.

You're being very fair to him there. They would almost certainly have gone up, there was no other reason for that wording. I guess we'll see if and when the same situation arises again. I certainly hope prices would have gone down if we had been relegated.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And we have pretty much the highest gates in the division? Yet you seem so convinced we have it all wrong?

I don't understand your point about Derby either. Surely the fact they were able to offer to reduce their ticket prices in the Prem, just serves to illustrate what I was saying - that trying to compare our prices with Prem clubs is pointless. They can afford to drop them and still compete. We can't.

What we WOULD have done if we'd gone up is another question entirely.

I can see you don't understand. I expect some other people will see the relevance of why our second-tier football prices being more expensive than many clubs in the so-called 'best league in the world' is a relevant comparison.

Never be complacent about crowds, especially relatively new crowds. That is why the club froze prices (correct action), and there may still be a drop this season.

I am used to your unique style of paraphrasing (bit antagonistic for a mod?), so will gloss over 'you seem convinced we have it all wrong' comment. I have praised the club for a new initiative - if you have read the thread.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can see you don't understand. I expect some other people will see the relevance of why our second-tier football prices being more expensive than many clubs in the so-called 'best league in the world' is a relevant comparison.

Never be complacent about crowds, especially relatively new crowds. That is why the club froze prices (correct action), and there may still be a drop this season.

I am used to your unique style of paraphrasing (bit antagonistic for a mod?), so will gloss over 'you seem convinced we have it all wrong' comment. I have praised the club for a new initiative - if you have read the thread.

1. I'm not going to rush off and check them all, but how many Prem season tickets actually ARE cheaper than the Albion's, if you factor in that they are for 19 rather than 23 matches? Every time such discussions come up on here, it seems that someone will trot out nonsense figures comparing our highest priced, with the cheapest elsewhere.

2. Ultimately it comes down to the subjective notion of 'value'. The facilities, and peripherals are all factors, but ultimately a lot of people will base 'value' on the results / entertainment on the pitch. If the club get that wrong consistently, that's when figures will dip. 20,000 renewals this season after a poor season, suggests faith they have the balance right. I'm absolutely convinced that we'll sell more tickets at these prices to watch a succesful Albion team, than at 15% less to watch a shit one - which is excatly what we'll get if you did so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here