Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Flags at Glastonbury

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had my Brighton flag with me, it bothered no one and i got loads of 'seagulls seagulls!' as people walked past, couldnt see you at the cider bus Herr, but that was probably cos everyone was wearing waterproof jackets so i couldnt see your orange jumper! did you have a good week?

Sorry dude. Just mentioned my non-appearance in the other thread, ie the thread started before Glasto. Yes, had a brilliant time thanks. I will write it up in my thread soon-ish.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This. Doesn't seem to bother anyone at the festival and it looks good.

Have you tried complaining from five thousand people back?.....it a nuisance and has got right out of control......a festival I went to in France, near Bayonne some years back, banned them but had half a dozen coloured poles that provided a reference point to mark and locate your position.....see, a little bit of forward thinking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually it does bother a lot of people further back as it makes a mess of the view. Flags are for dickheads, would definitely like them banned.

This doesn't tie in with what Micheal Eavis has previously said in the wake of the Reading ban. You say it bothers a lot of people; did it bother you this year or at a previous year? Just as going to Glastonbury is a daft idea if you don't like mud, it's a daft idea if you don't like flags as the site is covered in them from the personal ones people bring to the thousands that Eavis effects around the site. I don't like dogs so I give Crufts a swerve, maybe flag haters will be better suited to Reading?

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
They don't bother me at all. Although I'm pretty short so can't ever really see the stage whether there are flags in the crowd or not. We didn't take a flag with us but would always try and position ourselves near one, so we could use it as a marker when going off to the toilet or bar.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have been to festivals many times and I have seen about 10% of the acts, half the time I dont even look at the stage as i'm too far back to see anyway, it adds to the buzz and the atmosphere for me.

You obviously dont have a very good pallete if you cant appreciate a good flag.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you tried complaining from five thousand people back?.....it a nuisance and has got right out of control......a festival I went to in France, near Bayonne some years back, banned them but had half a dozen coloured poles that provided a reference point to mark and locate your position.....see, a little bit of forward thinking.

I had a bloke with a bloody big straw hat blocking my view during The Stones. I moved my head slightly so I could see, a little bit of forward thinking. As I say above from my experience no one at the festivsl is at all bothered about flags. When you're covered head to toe in mud, totally knackered from little sleep but with your chums having the time of your life...I have never thought "oh **** there's a flag." Maybe I have my priorities totally wrong but other things register much higher.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Actually it does bother a lot of people further back as it makes a mess of the view. Flags are for dickheads, would definitely like them banned.

Out of interest how many Glastonburys have you been to where it's been an issue for you? Is it a recent issue for you, has it got worse?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
It amazes me anyone can be bothered to hold those damn things, surely you need one hand for beer and the other for food!
You don't hold them in your hand. You plant them in the ground. I used to go to a few festivals in the 80s and 90s, Monsters of Rock, Reading, Milton Keynes etc. If you are there for up to 3 days with your mates in a crowd of 100,000 plus, at some point you need to go for a pee (we didn't all do it in bottles and then hurl it at Johnathan King). It was the only way you could be sure to find your mates again. At a 3 day festival you need 2 flags. 1 for the crowd and one to find your tent at the end of the day.
A mate of mine got drunk and decided it would be funny to move some of the tent flags while a concert he didn't like was going on. He was right. It was hilarious later.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The flags don't block anything. It's a not a game of football is it, hearing what's going on is FAR more important than seeing it. There's usually a load of massive screens to watch on as well

At the end of the day if you've attended a gig or festival and that kind of thing is worrying you then I can safely say you're not f**ked enough and need to get on the mind benders sharpish!

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
They didnt have flags in my day (and yes it would irritate the bejesus out of me). That said, I've not been for 20 years.
My first festive was 27 years ago and there were hundreds of them then. Ours was a Flag of St. George covered in football related graffiti.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
The flags don't block anything. It's a not a game of football is it, hearing what's going on is FAR more important than seeing it. There's usually a load of massive screens to watch on as well

At the end of the day if you've attended a gig or festival and that kind of thing is worrying you then I can safely say you're not f**ked enough and need to get on the mind benders sharpish!
Exactly. The majority of them are 20 feet from the ground anyway in order to be seen from distance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Very much this.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
My first festive was 27 years ago and there were hundreds of them then. Ours was a Flag of St. George covered in football related graffiti.

1993 during the day

nmestage-glasto93.jpg

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Weird. I suspect that half the crowd were still sleeping though.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
No flags at Download . Anybody who is stupid enough to block anybodies view is normally bombsrded with bottles of piss , dragged through the mud naked before being set on fire . Proper festival.
But then Download is about the music and not about being trendy.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Just a shame that they changed the classic name to such a stupid one.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I agree to a point . Monsters of Rock probably needed a rebrand , but to this day , I still have no idea why the name Download was chosen and the relevence to that kind of festival.Although I admit it has now finally stuck with me now.
.........Now Bloodstock Festival ....great name!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Says Wiki:

Downloading was a dirty word in the music industry at the time, due to file sharing, and rock is seen as a rebellious genre of music. Also Download was to be a Monsters of Rock for the 21st century and the internet would provide connectivity with its audience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here