Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Five to Keep

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Approach this from another direction [bare with me]

Imagine you are Brighton manager and you have to pick a team for next Saturday and ALL players are available [ignore injuries and suspensions]
Now, start filling in the team sheet, one name at a time, in order of "must play".

1. Stockdale
2. Dunk
3. Goldson
4 & 5 Stephens & Kayal
6. Bruno
7. Knockaert

Then I'd pause to consider
a) LB - Bong / Rosenior
b) 2nd winger or extra mid-fielder - Skalak / March / Murphy / LuaLua / Sidwell / Towell
c) 2 x striker options - Hemed / Baldock / Sir Bobby

I accept the 1-7 can change in order but I don't think any of the other squad players would push into the first 7.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Imagine you are Brighton manager and you have to pick a team for next Saturday and ALL players are available [ignore injuries and suspensions]
Now, start filling i the team sheet, one name at a time, in order of "must play".

1. Stockdale
2. Dunk
3. Goldson
4 & 5 Stephens & Kayal
6. Bruno
7. Knockaert

a) LB
b) 2nd winger or extra mid-fielder
c) 2 x striker options

I accept the 1-7 can change in order but I don't think any of the other squad players would push into the first 7.

I think Hemed would be an automatic choice.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Whoever ends up leaving (hopefully non unless inflated fee) or coming in, lets hope that the deals are all dome early and we have a full squad in place at the end of July ready to go from game 1.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My 5 personnel I would keep are as follows:

Hughton
Kayal
Knockaert
Bong - decent left backs are rare, as we have seen
Goldson

I love Bruno but at his age he will not have loads left in the tank.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Bruno could take over the role that Calderon had this season. My one hope is for Chicksen to be replaced so that we are not in the same position again this season as regards injuries and back up and hopefully not by Ridgewell. who was only a very slight improvement but the deal was too little and too late.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In my mind there are five key people we need to hang on to this summer, and if we do then I'm sure this season will be a springboard for the next.

Hughton, Dunk, Goldson, Kayal, Stephens

No shit Sherlock

I'm pretty sure the rest will stay if we want, Knockaert and Skalak have only just got here and in any case, are easier to replace (March, Murphy, etc).
Dunk and Goldson will be in demand, but central defenders are not as difficult to replace as someone like Knockaert, IMO. Although we have some good wingers, they're not like him.

If we start the season with as good a squad as we have now, a lot of teams will be parking the bus, and someone like Knockaert who can a) run at them and get passed them and b) score from free-kicks, will be invaluable,

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We will need AK and a fit rejuvenated Solly March to run at defenders when a team parks the bus. Was it not said SM wont be back to 1st6 team standard until Christmas so plenty of opportunity for our wingers to shine before then.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And Solly March.
As with LuaLua he may return only half the player he was, but let's hope.
Injured until December so not an issue until the January window.

We have to keep Kayal and Knockaert at all costs.

Dunk could be the one to go, maybe Stephens, but surely Tony won't sell more than 1 or 2.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We will need AK and a fit rejuvenated Solly March to run at defenders when a team parks the bus. Was it not said SM wont be back to 1st6 team standard until Christmas so plenty of opportunity for our wingers to shine before then.

Not quite. The only public thing that Hughton has said on SM injury was that the op went well and it would normally be 6-9 months for that type of injury.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14160065.Seagulls_face_nervous_wait_over_injured_March/
That was mid December. So he's looking at June/July best case and Sept worst case on that type of timeframe. Solly has been out and about posing for pictures with fans at recent games and the beamback for Boro at the Amex etc.
https://twitter.com/breadesign/status/729037395019059202

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

Now, start filling in the team sheet, one name at a time, in order of "must play".

1. Stockdale
2. Dunk
3. Goldson
4 & 5 Stephens & Kayal
6. Bruno
7. Knockaert

a) LB - Bong / Rosenior
b) 2nd winger or extra mid-fielder - Skalak / March / Murphy / LuaLua / Sidwell / Towell
c) 2 x striker options - Hemed / Baldock / Sir Bobby

1 - Stockers
2 - Kayal
3 - March (Presuming it's the same March from just prior to his injury, I know that's a big ask.)
4 - Goldson
5 - Bruno
6 - Dunk
7 - Stephens
8 - Hemed
9 - Knockers
10- Bong
11- Zamora

Although I suspect my ordering may be somewhat skewed, and this will no doubt not even be an option for a starting 11 by the next time the Albion kick a football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here