my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
The fishing this time of year is not great
In between seasons.
In a few months the mackerel arrive.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Wow, did not expect this many replies when turning on the computer today! I'm afraid there's just too many posts to answer them all in between meetings at the office, but I do appreciate every single one of you! I'm especially happy for all the pub, shopping and travel recommendations, it does look very promising that I'll return home both fat and happy. And who knows, I might even find my way to the grounds on Saturday :)

A special thank you to @Jack Straw who's offered me a guided tour on Friday, which I'm very much looking forward to!

Which part of the ground have you got your ticket in @Fiskmas?
I'm in the West Upper, a ticket that @sparkie most graciously transferred me free of charge since he can't use his season ticket for the game!

If you go to Brighton town centre you can pop into the Seven Stars pub in Ship Street to see where it all started.
I'm curious, could you expand on the "all started" bit? A quick search doesn't give me any clues. The fish puns?

Right, but I see no promises on the raping
I always thought that was implied by the "no pillaging", but looking at the definition now I see that I was clearly wrong. I'm admittedly a very shitty Viking.

Bästa tipset är att ta med mig som din sidekick. Har fått många PM här genom åren om var man köper det fetaste rökar-knarket. Vi kan också ta en liten, liten grupprunk över Grahams tid i Östersund, och kanske åka upp och ner i den där megakuken de byggt på stranden där turister tydligen får pröjsa tjugo pund för att åka upp och titta på medioker utsikt.
Varken Brightonknark, Pottergråtrunk eller fallosattraktion med havsutsikt har väl egentligen stått med på min bucket list hittills, men en kombination av alla tre hade ju kunnat bli minnesvärd. Står mellan att plocka med dig eller betala extra för ett 10-kilosbagage. Decisions, decisions...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I always thought that was implied by the "no pillaging", but looking at the definition now I see that I was clearly wrong. I'm admittedly a very shitty Viking.
I think it was 'rape and pillage' with the latter being theft/destruction, and you've added plunder which is probably similar to pillage.

I hope you're able to suppress you're natural Viking instincts and have a nice civilised trip.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Bästa tipset är att ta med mig som din sidekick. Har fått många PM här genom åren om var man köper det fetaste rökar-knarket. Vi kan också ta en liten, liten grupprunk över Grahams tid i Östersund, och kanske åka upp och ner i den där megakuken de byggt på stranden där turister tydligen får pröjsa tjugo pund för att åka upp och titta på medioker utsikt.

There is NOTHING mediocre about the view from our city's megacock, Swanny!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm curious, could you expand on the "all started" bit? A quick search doesn't give me any clues. The fish puns?
it’s the pub where the club was formed/started in 1901

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel

That’s a bit harsh, I quite like the view of my hometown… granted half of it is a rather underwhelming panorama of the English Channel.

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
Great thread.

Fishing, skiing and football are my three biggest hobbies. If I travel UK next, going to see Brighton's games (hopefully two games) and fishing are "must".

Nearly 70% Japanese land is mountains. So, most Japanese cities are sandwiched by the sea and mountains (even Tokyo has 2000m class mountain and Tokyo Bay). I love both upper mountain stream fishing targeting at trouts and beach / surf fishing targeting at flounder and a lot of different kind of fishes. Brighton is a beautiful port city, so I assume it's a good place for anglers too!. For beach / surf fishing, I will be required a license or something?

This is my most favorite fishing style = walk on a beach - cast an artificial lure - walk - cast another lure - walk - cast another lure -repeat it for a few hours.

Where is the mountain stream good for fishing which is closest to Brighton?. Do I need a license for mountain stream fishing there? I like this fishing style.

I like this Japanese girl's Youtube channel. Most of her videos are fishing.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Great thread.

Fishing, skiing and football are my three biggest hobbies. If I travel UK next, going to see Brighton's games (hopefully two games) and fishing are "must".

Nearly 70% Japanese land is mountains. So, most Japanese cities are sandwiched by the sea and mountains (even Tokyo has 2000m class mountain and Tokyo Bay). I love both upper mountain stream fishing targeting at trouts and beach / surf fishing targeting at flounder and a lot of different kind of fishes. Brighton is a beautiful port city, so I assume it's a good place for anglers too!. For beach / surf fishing, I will be required a license or something?

This is my most favorite fishing style = walk on a beach - cast an artificial lure - walk - cast another lure - walk - cast another lure -

Where is the mountain stream good for fishing which is closest to Brighton?. Do I need a license for mountain stream fishing there? I like this fishing style.

I like this Japanese girl's Youtube channel. Most of her videos are fishing.

Unfortunately the directors of our local water companies have been licenced by our government to take huge salaries and bonuses as well as give out tidy shareholder dividends, whilst continually pumping shit directly into our rivers and seas.

Consequently if you do find something that resembles life in our rivers or seas, it's probably looking a bit peeky.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately the directors of our local water companies have been licenced by our government to take huge salaries and bonuses as well as give out tidy shareholder dividends, whilst continually pumping shit directly into our rivers and seas.

Consequently if you do find something that resembles life in our rivers or seas, it's probably looking a bit peeky.
Sea fishing off the Sussex coast is generally pretty good…….trawling and netting is a much bigger problem than sewage unfortunately

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think it was 'rape and pillage' with the latter being theft/destruction, and you've added plunder which is probably similar to pillage.

I hope you're able to suppress you're natural Viking instincts and have a nice civilised trip.
Did he travel to our fair shores by longship do you think?

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
Sea fishing off the Sussex coast is generally pretty good…….trawling and netting is a much bigger problem than sewage unfortunately

I'm more interested in shore fishing. My fishing style is "walk & cast artificial lures". My family own a property very close to a beach, so I quite often enjoy surf fishing around sunrise time. It's beautiful too. The google street view below is a hotel in front of a beach in Brighton. Early morning means all shops are still closed and there won't be anything to do, so I want to enjoy surf fishing around sunrise time while staying at that kind of hotel. I don't know the local fishing rules and I wonder if I can cast artificial lures there for fishing.
B.PNG

I took this picture last October. I enjoy surf fishing 100 days per year.
IMG_20221012_054514.jpg

I know this guy. My fishing style is very similar to this surf angler (it's a short video, only 6 mins)

Attachments

• B.PNG
    B.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221012_054514.jpg
    IMG_20221012_054514.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 18

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm more interested in shore fishing. My fishing style is "walk & cast artificial lures". My family own a property very close to a beach, so I quite often enjoy surf fishing around sunrise time. It's beautiful too. The google street view below is a hotel in front of a beach in Brighton. Early morning means all shops are still closed and there won't be anything to do, so I want to enjoy surf fishing around sunrise time while staying at that kind of hotel. I don't know the local fishing rules and I wonder if I can cast artificial lures there for fishing.View attachment 159282

I took this picture last October. I enjoy surf fishing 100 days per year.
View attachment 159283

I know this guy. My fishing style is very similar to this surf angler (it's a short video, only 6 mins)

Not something I do much of but I know plenty of people fish with lures off the shoreline - not so much off the ‘clean’ beach in Brighton (although you’ll get Bass, and mackerel in the summer) but areas where there are more features (East of the Marina for example which is closer to the hotel you’ve shown). Shore fishing is free in the UK, no licence required so no problem fishing the beach, particularly early morning. There are a few online groups that might give you an idea such as :

These give you a local flavour perhaps

Would be happy to pop down for a session if you want some company 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here