Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Fishing for suggestions for my upcoming Brighton trip

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Hi, I'm getting on a plane this Thursday for a long weekend in Brighton and I'm wondering if I could once again refer to NSC’s collective wisdom for practical advice. The main goal of my three-day Viking invasion of Sussex is of course the West Ham game on Saturday, but I do have all Friday and Saturday evening to wander aimlessly around as well.

First off, are there any pubs/places to eat that shouldn’t be missed? I do eat everything (unfortunately), and since this is a trip with focus on the Albion, it would of course be fun to visit some establishments with history/ties to the club – do any spring to mind? Here I really feel like Google is letting me down with its suggestions (mostly pesky paid ads).

I’m also toying with the idea of finding buses to the Goldstone Ground and Withdean Stadium for a trip down the club’s memory lane and a pint wherever one can be found. Provided they're still standing (as you can tell I still have some research to do), as locals where would you put that idea on a scale from "That sure would be interesting" to "You're clearly out of your mind"?

Also, do I understand correctly that there’s no official Albion shop in the city, there’s only the one at the Amex? I plan on picking up some scarves and maybe some general knick-knacks for me and the kids, and it would be lovely to do that already on Friday to avoid the queues in the Falmer shop after the game (or having to keep track of a shopping bag in the stands if I do my shopping beforehand). I find references to a pop-up shop in the city centre during the Christmas period, should I understand that as there is no permanent shop in town? Do any of the general sports retailers sell official BHA merchandise?

And as for getting to the Amex – I’m staying close to the pier and it seems there are a few buses to choose from straight from Old Steine (stop F) to the grounds. Are there any reasons why that would be a terrible idea, or do they usually operate relatively smoothly? And how far in advance of the 3:00 PM kick off would you recommend getting going?

Sorry for an unnecessarily long post, but I’d be very grateful for any input! And I promise to keep the pillaging and plundering to a minimum.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As for transportation the train station is easily walkable from the Steine, just wonder up Western Road to the clock tower and turn right, I think I’d rather go on the train than by bus.

We’re all different but I love a wonder along the seafront and on the pier, brings me back to my childhood. You could then cross over by the pier and explore the Lanes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
going to Withdean might be of interest to see where we've come from - the stadium is there unlike Goldstone, though not much around it. trip to Falmer on Friday for the shop a good idea, can focus on the game on Saturday, couple of quid and hour round trip.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
There is a very bad pub at the withdean (Sportsman) which let's you see across the pitch. Might be worth a trip if you are that way inclined. Would be a bus ride or a train and walk from Town and there's not much else to see there though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hope you enjoy your trip @Fiskmås.

Here's my local yokel tips:

- Getting to the ground? Number 25 bus from the stop right outside the front of the Royal Pavilion will take you right there. The bus stop to listen out for is 'Sports Hall', tho in reality just get off when all the rest of the Albion fans do, and follow them. It's about 5 minutes walk. Else just get the train from Brighton station and get off at Falmer. Either way, bus or train, the price of transport is included in your ticket. Just show the bus driver or walk through the open train turnstiles

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Hi, I'm getting on a plane this Thursday for a long weekend in Brighton and I'm wondering if I could once again refer to NSC’s collective wisdom for practical advice. The main goal of my three-day Viking invasion of Sussex is of course the West Ham game on Saturday, but I do have all Friday and Saturday evening to wander aimlessly around as well.

First off, are there any pubs/places to eat that shouldn’t be missed? I do eat everything (unfortunately), and since this is a trip with focus on the Albion, it would of course be fun to visit some establishments with history/ties to the club – do any spring to mind? Here I really feel like Google is letting me down with its suggestions (mostly pesky paid ads).

I’m also toying with the idea of finding buses to the Goldstone Ground and Withdean Stadium for a trip down the club’s memory lane and a pint wherever one can be found. Provided they're still standing (as you can tell I still have some research to do), as locals where would you put that idea on a scale from "That sure would be interesting" to "You're clearly out of your mind"?

Also, do I understand correctly that there’s no official Albion shop in the city, there’s only the one at the Amex? I plan on picking up some scarves and maybe some general knick-knacks for me and the kids, and it would be lovely to do that already on Friday to avoid the queues in the Falmer shop after the game (or having to keep track of a shopping bag in the stands if I do my shopping beforehand). I find references to a pop-up shop in the city centre during the Christmas period, should I understand that as there is no permanent shop in town? Do any of the general sports retailers sell official BHA merchandise?

And as for getting to the Amex – I’m staying close to the pier and it seems there are a few buses to choose from straight from Old Steine (stop F) to the grounds. Are there any reasons why that would be a terrible idea, or do they usually operate relatively smoothly? And how far in advance of the 3:00 PM kick off would you recommend getting going?

Sorry for an unnecessarily long post, but I’d be very grateful for any input! And I promise to keep the pillaging and plundering to a minimum.

For pubs that are popular with Albion fans (especially on match day), I'd recommend either The Caxton Arms or The Evening Star - both located very close to the train station. The Caxton has a few pieces of Albion memorabilia in there too.

It's then an easy stroll up to the station to catch the train. In terms of timings, I'd recommend getting to the station around 1.45pm. This will probably get you to the Amex by 2.15-2.20pm, depending on queues.

Have a great trip!

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Hope you have a brilliant visit and bring Albion some luck on Saturday.

Have "Fish & Chips" at the seafront - hopefully NSC can direct you to a good place for that near where you are staying.

Try at least one pint of "Harveys" ale at The Amex.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
- Going to Withdean? The 5 or 5A bus will take you right there from, again, the bus stop right outside the front of the Royal Pavilion. Get off at Tongdean Lane stop and walk a couple of minutes up the lane to the stadium. Big Potential Bonus Alert: The Sportsman pub at Withdean does an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet in the mornings for £5.99. So if you haven't booked breakfast at your hotel, that's a good way of killing two birds with one stone! Bus journey is about 15 minutes

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Last bit of advice from me (unless of course you want any more): yup, good idea to visit the Amex on the friday to pick up any goodies from the club shop. Train ticket to Falmer is about £5 return from Brighton station. Journey time 10 minutes. You could maybe even book a stadium tour. And Dick's Bar (practically next door to the club shop) is open lunchtimes, so you could maybe grab a beer and a panini and admire the artwork

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As you're staying near the pier I'd go bus everywhere. £2 per journey, free match day. Number 25 to University. Yes do the Amex Friday otherwise match day is full of Japanese, not that there's anything wrong with that. Match Day pubs. Train station as mentioned has a few. Fish & Chips, try the Carasel on the beach.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I've PM'd you!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For pubs that are popular with Albion fans (especially on match day), I'd recommend either The Caxton Arms or The Evening Star - both located very close to the train station. The Caxton has a few pieces of Albion memorabilia in there too.

It's then an easy stroll up to the station to catch the train. In terms of timings, I'd recommend getting to the station around 1.45pm. This will probably get you to the Amex by 2.15-2.20pm, depending on queues.

Have a great trip!
And The Albert

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
[Editing out my first paragraph as has been clarified that the Churchill Square store is open seasonally.]

If you do end up going to the Amex the day before, I would actually recommend taking the train to Lewes first and stopping by Falmer (and the stadium) on the way back to Brighton. Its a nice historic market town which is the home of Harvey’s Brewery, the signature drink of Sussex (and the Albion!) and lots of good pubs nearby!

This may be unpopular but dont think its really worth visiting Goldstone or Withdean. As much as they’re part of the club’s history, there is really not much left behind in terms of the Albion's legacy. Withdean’s only real value is for posterity and telling the younger generations ‘look where we used to play!’ and the Goldstone is very much a shadow of what it used to be. Otherwise, there isn’t really a lot else going on at both places as they’re in suburban/industrial areas of Brighton and Hove. That being said, its a very welcome gesture and a nice thought.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Fellow NSCers please correct me, but I thought the Churchill Square BHA store is still there? It may be worth stopping by there first if you were planning on taking the train as it does save you the better part of an hour and more time in the city centre where there’s a lot of good restaurants, local attractions and independent shops.

If you do end up going to the Amex the day before I would actually recommend taking the train to Lewes first and stopping by Falmer on the way back to Brighton. Its a nice historic market town which is the home of Harvey’s Brewery, the signature drink of Sussex (and the Albion!) and lots of good pubs nearby.

This may be unpopular but dont think its really worth visiting Goldstone or Withdean. As much as they’re part of the club’s history, there is really not much left behind in terms of the Albion's legacy. Withdean’s only real value is for posterity and telling the younger generations ‘look where we used to play!’ and the Goldstone is very much a shadow of what it used to be. Otherwise, there isn’t really a lot else going on at both places as they’re in suburban/industrial areas of Brighton and Hove. That being said, its a very welcome gesture and a nice thought.
OP, i'd disagree with the comments in bold. Have a nice walk around Hove Park, there is a Goldstone Ground memorial information board and the gold stone the ground was named after. That said, there's no reason to set foot on the actual site!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

And the nearest pub to the Goldstone, the Hove Park Tavern, (just 2 or 3 mins walk away) isn't going to win any awards ... but "your clearly out of your mind" would be putting it strongly

Jul 7, 2003
Fellow NSCers please correct me, but I thought the Churchill Square BHA store is still there? It may be worth stopping by there first if you were planning on taking the train as it does save you the better part of an hour and more time in the city centre where there’s a lot of good restaurants, local attractions and independent shops.
It's not - it is only open on the run up to xmas.

For the OP, remember you can only bring a small bag into the stadium with you unless it is stuff you purchase from the club shop in which case they will probably let you in.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Last time I checked the club shop was still open in Churchill sq. much smaller than the site at the Amex but if it’s scarfs and stuff you want then go there and ditch items in hotel so you’ve got both drinking hands free for the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here