Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fishing at night what can i expect to catch?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A decent song from Marillion's support act on the Misplaced Childhood tour?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Oh yes, you can't fish the rivers between March 14 and June 16. Many private lakes have different rules though.

That's my new thing learnt for the day then. What's the reason behind having seasons, presumably it's something to do with the numbers of fish (and not because they need a break)?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fishing has seasons? (That might be a stupid question but I know nothing of fishing)

You can fish the Arun up to the old stone bridge at Arundel without a licence. Not sure how far you can go up the Adur but past Bramber I would think.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
That's my new thing learnt for the day then. What's the reason behind having seasons, presumably it's something to do with the numbers of fish (and not because they need a break)?

It's exactly because they need a break and have a bit of jiggy-jiggy time...ie is the usual spawning time for most freshwater species (Predetors such Pike and Perch usually spawn a lot earlier in feb so when their babies hatch and grow, the other fish would've spawned and there will be plenty of baby roach and bream for the baby Perch and Pike to feed on)

As mentioned, it's illegal to fish fish any river or canal between march 15th and June 16th....still waters don't have to have a close season, although some do

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You can fish the Arun up to the old stone bridge at Arundel without a licence. Not sure how far you can go up the Adur but past Bramber I would think.

By the above I mean that the 'season' does not apply in those areas. Classed as sea and brackish.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lovely photo that - did you take it?

Yes, about 5 in the morning during June a few years back. I walked from Woodingdean to Glynde, starting just before sunrise. I'll post the blog on the Sussex walks thread soon, with a few more pictures. It was a memorable morning where the weather played ball.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Yes, about 5 in the morning during June a few years back. I walked from Woodingdean to Glynde, starting just before sunrise. I'll post the blog on the Sussex walks thread soon, with a few more pictures. It was a memorable morning where the weather played ball.

I used to go night/very early freshwater fishing many years ago.
I always said that a lovely summers morning from 3am to 6am is just the most perfect time of day, a time most people miss.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

Cheers, I'll look forward to reading it.

Jan 30, 2008
spoke to a chap who has fished the Ouse at lewes at night and caught big roach , care needs to be taken though as the banks are dodgy THINK HE WEARS A FLOTATION SUIT
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here