Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First time part 3 (gigs)

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I saw Tangerine Dream at Chichester but it was in August 1974 - did they play there twice?

It's quite possible I got the year wrong. May well have been 1974!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great memories, eh? Interesting how many years span this. I read through ALL the posts. Nothing earlier than 1969? Nobody break their duck in the mid 60s? Amazing so many of us were at the same gigs (Genesis, Clash). Nobody mentioned The Jam at the Embassy Cinema (Western Road). A bit of violence there. Clash at the Top Rank with Pete Townshend guesting? Bowie at the Dome? One of my chums got into big trouble for bunking off school to queue for tickets for that. Slade and Thin Lizzy at the Dome? Just missed that, but saw the great Phil Lynott in London supporting Bachman Turner Overdrive (fat dreary Mormons). And all the punk gigs in Brighton 77? 4-5 gigs a week - amazing (Buccaneer, Alhambra, Resources Centre). I'll start a thread on Brighton bands during the summer when we have a new manager and have settled down . . . . Happy days. Apologies if this has all been done before. I was away from NSC for a while (10 years - Lol!)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great memories, eh? Interesting how many years span this. I read through ALL the posts. Nothing earlier than 1969? Nobody break their duck in the mid 60s? Amazing so many of us were at the same gigs (Genesis, Clash). Nobody mentioned The Jam at the Embassy Cinema (Western Road). A bit of violence there. Clash at the Top Rank with Pete Townshend guesting? Bowie at the Dome? One of my chums got into big trouble for bunking off school to queue for tickets for that. Slade and Thin Lizzy at the Dome? Just missed that, but saw the great Phil Lynott in London supporting Bachman Turner Overdrive (fat dreary Mormons). And all the punk gigs in Brighton 77? 4-5 gigs a week - amazing (Buccaneer, Alhambra, Resources Centre). I'll start a thread on Brighton bands during the summer when we have a new manager and have settled down . . . . Happy days. Apologies if this has all been done before. I was away from NSC for a while (10 years - Lol!)

I was at The Jam at the Embassy and saw Pete Townshend guest with The Clash. I was also a regular at the Buccaneer, Alhambra and Vault. I saw Tom Robinson Band play there when there were 15 people in the audience (I counted them) and saw The Stranglers play there when they could scarcely cram any more in. I saw The Buzzcocks, still with Howard Devoto play the Vault ... but the thread was about first gigs and I'd been to many by the time 1977 came round

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Another one who saw Motorhead at Worthing Assembly Hall in 87. Was my first Motorhead gig after having to choose the year before between Metallica + Anthrax or Motorhead who both played Hammersmith Odeon on consecutive nights - I couldn't afford both and the train tickets from Lewes.

My first gig however was Marillion at Brighton Centre in 85. Was heavily into them and other 80's prog bands for about four years and then dropped them suddenly and permanently when I discovered the Pixies, although getting into indie and punk didn't stop me keeping on the metal and psychedelia.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
The Cure, "Carnage Visors" Faith album Tour at Chelmsford Odeon 29 April 1981 - no support, but a peg animation film with a Cure sountrackaccompanying it. 3rd row, still at school - they had Pink Floyd's soundsystem for that tour so needless to say it was an aural experience to behold. Loved them ever since. Next one was The Jam at The Rainbow 17 June the same year on the same "Apocalypse" tour someone else mentioned - horn section in full effect.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
First - Black Sabbath, Never say die tour 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon

Latest - Steve Winwood, last night at The Dome - probably the best gig I've seen in over a decade!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Reading Rock Festival 1982, at the age of 12. £8.50. Black Sabbath headlined. There was a weird smell coming from everyone's cigarettes that I'd never smelt before. There was a topless girl next to me. I was terrified. Very disappointed when I woke up the next morning in Burgess Hill and my glo-stick no longer worked - I thought it was for forever...

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Sad cafe at the dome 78. My 11th birthday prezzie.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers - The Dome Brighton 1970
The Faces - Top Rank Suite Brighton 1971
Deep Purple - The Dome Brighton 1972

The Faces gig at the Suite was eventful, Nazareth were the support band (Loud rockers from Glasgow), they started their first number which was so loud the PA system failed, they had three more attempts before the lead singer (Dan Mcafferty) threw his mike down, shouted "F**k this!" and they all walked off stage. So we then had over an hours wait before The Faces came on, worth the wait though, they were brilliant.

The Deep Purple gig ended up with them being banned from ever playing at the Dome again by Brighton Council. Argus headline the day after was something like "Rock group banned for causing riot at the Dome"
The concert was all seating but after the first number Jon Lord leaned over his hammond organ and shouted "what a you lot all doing sitting down, come on get up". This started a mass charge to the front of the stage, seem to remember a lone commissionaire, hat and glasses askew like Capt Mainwaring, trying to, unsuccessfully, hold the crowd back! As Purple finished their last song people started climbing on stage, some of them being helped up by Ritchie Blackmore which resulted in anything that wasn't nailed down being nicked as a souvenier. My god they were bloody loud though, ears were still ringing 24hrs after that concert.

Happy days :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was at The Jam at the Embassy and saw Pete Townshend guest with The Clash. I was also a regular at the Buccaneer, Alhambra and Vault. I saw Tom Robinson Band play there when there were 15 people in the audience (I counted them) and saw The Stranglers play there when they could scarcely cram any more in. I saw The Buzzcocks, still with Howard Devoto play the Vault ... but the thread was about first gigs and I'd been to many by the time 1977 came round

Ha ha! The Embassy gig was when I first encountered 'punky Steve'. Tattoos down the back of his legs. A bit of a dangerous character apparently. Off his tits that night so it seemed. Like you I'd seen masses of gigs gigs before 1977. Small world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here