Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] First important debate of 2018 - roast potatoes...

Do you pre-bash your roasties?

• Peeled

Votes: 77 77.8%
  • Unpeeled - skins on

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • Either / doesn't matter

Votes: 14 14.1%

• Total voters

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
My nan used to use an old Irish tradition of adding a coating of flour before cooking.
Used to make them very tasty and crispy.
Still the best I've tasted, don't tell the wife :)
I always add a dusting of semolina flour at the fluffing stage. Crispy little buggers every time!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
How do you do your roast potatoes? Specifically - notwithstanding the par-boiling, flavour and shake up - do you peel them, leave the skins on? Or do you have a varying method?

Important stuff to consider, I'd suggest.

Poll to follow, along with a rather graphic image of some roast potatoes.

potato-20150929075945244.jpg

TLO, are you sure those are roast potatoes and not sauteed?

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...aw2BrQMeH78TK-8ClW8elwdN&ust=1515015459699731

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When you turn them, crunch them down a bit with a masher. I’m ashamed to say it’s a Jamie Oliver trick but it works. Oh and goose fat.

This, but let them cool completely after to get them dry, and sprinkle a light dusting of flour over them as well.

Re above posts, have recently starting leaving the skin on for mashed potato. Bloody lovely it is too.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That typing mistake is well past its sell by date and is no longer funny or representative of anything.
We'll be the judge of ... Covfefe

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If Goose fat makes perfect Christmas roasties why do they seem to be only roasted in goose fat at Christmas.
Nobody has mentioned Goose fat yet, it is available all year round you know, yet it is stocked up to the ceiling in the supermarkets at Christmas and sells out.
I find Christmas a bizzare time of the year.
Anyway the answer is.... roast them in goose fat.

In my case I get a goose for Christmas dinner. I use every single bit of it. Neck and heart to start the sauce off, livers on toast for Christmas brunch, any leftovers stewed and the fat to roast the potatoes. Even after I've done that I get a huge pot of fat from the roasting tray. Once that's gone it's back to oil.

The half olive / half veg oil makes them a bit crisper (olive oil will give you very crispy spuds but has too low a smoking point, hence the compromise) whereas the goose fat ones taste better.

*drools*

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I've over boiled before, leaving a partial mess of fairly solid but flaky potatoes, and random mash. But scooping the mash up, re-forming into a shape, and roasting, these are by far the most successful for crispness. Unlike slices of re-formed ham, which aren't as good as proper whole slices.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs BG uses Naris Piper potatoes as an essential, par boils them and fluffs them up in a colander or the saucepan and lets them get cold. Sets the oven at 220 and puts cold oil over them then place in the oven. End result lovely crisp roasties to die for.

BG has spoken !!! Lets see who can find " Naris " Piper spuds in the shops....Delia, eat your heart out.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I always add a dusting of semolina flour at the fluffing stage. Crispy little buggers every time!

Semolina is becoming scarce now and it's essential for my millionaires shortbread recipe. Asda and Morrison's don't do it, Sainsbury's still do fortunately.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sorry typing error, next door key, of course it should be Maris Piper but neither I nor anybody else noticed the typing error. Well done to you:thumbsup:

TBH BG, any floury potato will do for roasting. It should be remembered that just like the grapes in a fine vintage wine, potato's can have good and bad years dependent on rainfall and the quality of the soil they are grown in.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't think I've played shirts v skins since I was at school.

I remember ,not so fondly, as a kid at football training we were shirts v skins during the final game, the manager shouted at me “a bit less skin next week” :(

Back on topic.
Peeled. Don’t dick around par boiling, cut to appropriate size and coat in olive oil, pop in the oven and turn them every 15 minutes. 15 minutes before you serve them season with thyme, sea salt and cracked pepper. Dogs licky bits.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Semolina is becoming scarce now and it's essential for my millionaires shortbread recipe. Asda and Morrison's don't do it, Sainsbury's still do fortunately.

Waitrose sell it too if Sainsbo ever stop

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here