Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] First crisp

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I bought a sack of these in co-op last week. The rest of the house ( dogs aside) think I've gone mad ( again)
THey're plain with a little salt, light, cripsy, and bloody delicious!

In London we have the mini co-ops everywhere which are terrible, however ->

1695850320687.png

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Used to have Tayta’s when I was in N.Ireland

Still pick them up when I visit family.

Really very nice crisps.

Possibly the Northern Irish version (I think down south they are a different company) but they are available in Sainsburys Colliers Wood. Never bought them but saw a woman saying "oooohhh" and grabbing some last week.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I think in my younger days the only option was Smiths Crisps (potato flavour) with a little blue paper sack containing salt for tipping into the crisp bag which was then shaken.
This but I didn’t like ready salted crisps so I used to put a little vinegar and shake them up.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
.. accompanying a wonderful pint of Gales HSB (a beer unequalled in my experience) ...
For some of us living abroad, Gales HSB is a good reason to get back for a bit of time in the UK. With lots of Gales Ales pubs on the way back from Fratton Park, it made visits there almost worthwhile after the inevitable tonking we got there. Taken over by Fullers, I understand but HSB still brewed. Still the same or not?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Fun crisp FACT....

ALL crisps made in the UK & Ireland go out of date on a Saturday!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What a race it was - the 1973 National - a classic!
I was on the chicken run that day and my mate had 20p on Crisp. We had our tranny with us to get the commentary….. Yeah go on all laugh at tranny.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
For some of us living abroad, Gales HSB is a good reason to get back for a bit of time in the UK. With lots of Gales Ales pubs on the way back from Fratton Park, it made visits there almost worthwhile after the inevitable tonking we got there. Taken over by Fullers, I understand but HSB still brewed. Still the same or not?
I honestly don’t know, I moved to Southover street in the early 80’s and discovered the Sir Charles Napier another Gales pub where I continued to enjoy HSB then found the Sainsbury’s on the Gyratory sold HSB in cans which then became my go to beer, once Fullers takeover had happened this soon disappeared and I moved even further East and have not found anywhere here (Eastbourne) that sells it so all I have left is fond memories and a lasting desire to again sample the nectar of the Gods !

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Brighton related crisp fact . . . .

When I got made redundant from Sturtevant engineering ( Moulsecoomb way ) I declined the offer to go to Doncaster with the buyout Co (this was 1994/5, evven then I knew it was a one was ticket) despite a load of 'improved offers' . . . . A year later I was working in the fisher price car park building in Hollingbury, for a packaging company, I was designing/drawing/detailing machines for all sorts of packets . . . Sweets, cereals, all sorts . . . AND . . They also made and ran the machines that did all the little blue sachets of salt. Fascinating to watch. . . . . . . The best machine though . . . . Was the one that put the sachet in the crisp packet, whilst loading it with raw crisps, and then sealing the lot. Fascinating.

I'm of for a lay down now 😂
As a lad i used to have the crisps with the salt separate in a blue wax paper twist. I believe this was because the bags were not that great at resisting a damp atmosphere and if the salt had been just coating the crisps they would quickly go soggy. Many years later the principle was revived by smiths mainly for nostalgia reasons as the "salt n shake" but the salt was now in a paper rectangle sachet such as you describe. I seem to remember that not only had the original machines that twisted the paper been destroyed but also that nobody could work out how it had been done so they switched to the rectangles (although that may well be apocryphal). Either way they were not that popular and i think pretty soon dispensed with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here