[Albion] First Brighton game and who took you....indulge me

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I'm very sorry to hear your sad news. RIP Mr Robertson Snr.
My Dad vs York City "76. 7-2, MOTD scaffold camera tower and bright sunshine. I thought every match would be like that!
He passed away in 2019. I got to take him to the Amex twice.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Brighton v Barrow 1969 - I guess with my dad & brother (dad was not a Brighton fan as not a local ) to get tickets for the Wolves game.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
So sorry to hear about your dad.
My first game was a 0-1 loss to Reading, September 1992.
A girl at school called Sonia asked me if I wanted to go as her dad wasn't able to go with her. I was a horny 14yr old so the football wasn't the reason I said yes, but I'm so glad I did. No idea what Sonia is up to these days but I'd like to thank her for introducing me to my first true love.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

A young lady called Liz Turner took me to my first game in April 1971, a 0-2 home loss to Halifax. I was 7 and, despite the loss, hooked. Wherever you are Liz, many thanks!

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
23rd Oct 1993, lost 2-0 to Rotherham at the Goldstone. My brother took me, hated every minute of it. He then took me to the 1-0 defeat against Reading. Told me to come to one more game and if I didn't like it then that would be that. We went to the 1-0 v Barnet on 27th Dec, dodgy Chapman penalty in the 85th minute? Right in front of the North stand and the reaction of scoring and winning the game had me hooked from then on in.

Sorry for your loss mate.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Condolences Lamie, all the very best.

First Albion game was circa 1987, a 0-1 reverse against Derby, with my Dad and my brother in law ( a Derby County supporter) in the South Stand. Dad's first game was 40 years earlier in 1947!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I got very lucky.

F821AFA6-5B34-4F2F-822E-D86E7FA2310D.png

= hooked for life.

One of my older brothers took me, I think we stood in the NS. Along with the boiled burger hamburgers (I liked them), singing, crowd surges down the terrace, giant lit floodlights ..... all right down my alley ..... very exciting for a young kid. I still have the one ounce programme.

Even luckier with my second game:

Feb 76 - 33,000 plus the unlogged thousands literally packed into a floodlit Goldstone to see Brighton 2-0 CP. Special.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So sorry to hear your news Lamie .
I wasn’t taken to my first game, sadly my dad had no interest in football at all, and we had no roots in Sussex. Me and my mate Warren who I was at boarding school with in Steyning decided we’d go to a game and despite being against school rules did it. October 1979 v Norwich city, we lost 2-4.

Last edited:

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
BHA vs Stoke, either 1982 or 83 (finished 1-1)

Sat in the South for one of the few times ever, taken by my father and went with friends for a birthday treat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My Dad took me to the Goldstone, East terrace 60/61 season but I couldn’t tell you what the game was or the score.

He passed away in May 98, and I still miss him. I’m sorry for your loss. Remember the good times.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Very sorry to hear your news x

My Grandad took me in April 1987 - we beat Palace 2-0 (Danny Wilson / Darren Hughes) - it was Barry Lloyd’s first win, and it set me on one of the greatest paths of my life.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Condolences to you. Sorry for your loss. Like many it was my dad. It would have been late 50's, aged 4 or 5, but no idea which match. He loved the Albion till the day he died. He used to push me under the turnstiles at the North West corner, no charge, then I watched from his shoulders. In turn, it was his older brother took him in 1926 when he was just 13. Sadly he was never sure of the opposition.

Nearly a century of going in the family!! Amazing to think the club was only 25 years old at that first game.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Sorry to hear that, lost my Dad this year too. He took me to my first game in 79 vs Liverpool. We were stuffed but I was hooked and the Albion became a huge part of our life. Best wishes.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
That's sad. X Chin up!

Leicester. 89. Goldstone. My Dad took me when we moved to Sussex. Hooked ever since and the bug now passed Down to his grandson.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Contrary to my very sketchy memory, it now transpires my first ever Albion game was March 5th, 1969 against Plymouth Argyle (I always thought my first game was Aldershot, but the dates say otherwise) - an impressive 0-0 draw which didn’t dissuade me from spending a lifetime following the good cause!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
So sorry to hear your news mate.
I never met your dad but knew you had been looking after him for a long while.
As you know my dad also passed away not that long ago.
Hopefully we will meet up in the new season in East Upper and raise a glass to both of them.
All the best :thumbsup:

Oh, it was some team from up north in 1970 at the Goldstone

Iroquois Boy

Dec 30, 2013
Well for me it wasn't my dear father, it was Mick our lodger a huge bristol rovers fan who was I think working on the construction of brightob marina at the time. Was early 70's and I was around 9 or 10, it was an evening game and i was hooked the minute i saw the beautiful green pitch under the floodlights. I remember I received my Liverpool membership card that day, but from then on in I was 100 % albion.
I don't remember who the players were or what the score was - think we lost but when Mick drove me back in his Rover P6, I knew I was totally in love with the Albion.
So wish my dad would have been into football, but it wasn't meant to be. So all I can.say is thanks Mick Griffin you gave me the love of football and BHA. PS dad I love you and wish we could have shared my love for football.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports