Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First Brighton game and who took you....indulge me

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I know this has been done before ...but indulge me..it’s a minor tribute to my dad who slipped away peacefully this afternoon.

Brighton v Torquay August 28th 1968 my Dad

Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost mine about a 18 months ago, it’s tough but the memories of the good times take the edge of it after time.
Your first game was a week before my birth, I hope you enjoy many more.

My Dad took me to Bristol Rovers away in 1976 with my brother and mum. Dad and brother supported Rovers, me and mum Albion. 0-4 to the good guys.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, Lamie Robertson.

Cherish the memories and the special times you spent together. It sounds like he was a great man. Best wishes to you and all your family.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sorry for your loss.

Mine was a mid week evening game pre season friendly in the late 70s v Eastbourne United when I was about 8. A couple of school friends and me decided we'd go to the game and told our parents that we were going around another kids house. Got a right bollocking when I got home.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know this has been done before ...but indulge me..it’s a minor tribute to my dad who slipped away peacefully this afternoon.

Ah, shit. So sorry. :down:

Since you ask. Barrow, 1969, and nobody took me. I was eleven and walked to the Goldstone from Portslade with my pal, also aged 11, and our 8 year old brothers. We were still in junior school, FFS.

I did go with the old man a few years later, but he was a HWT hater and (like me) on the spectrum so difficult company most of the time, and while he stood on the West terrace I'd excuse myself and go down the south. Families eh?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Sorry to hear the news mate, I know it's been a tough year [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Sorry to hear of your loss.

My Dad went 9 years ago, I still think of him every day.

He took me to my first game in 1969, Southampton v Manchester United.

He had no interest in football, but took me and my sister( a big Georgie Best fan) to see a team he’d actually heard of.

My first Albion game was with a friend and his Dad.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So sorry to hear of your father’s passing :(

I can’t be sure of my first Albion game, but it was definitely between 1990-1993 as Clive Walker was playing. I went with my friend from next door, we were taken by his dad who was very much a father figure in my formative years. We stood at the the front of the North Stand on beer crates. We’re all still season ticket holders.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My dad took me too, March 1953 for my 8th birthday. Strangely he never went again, mainly because he worked in London on Saturdays and I didn't go again until 1955 but was a regular ever since.
Sadly I have now decided its just the odd game in future for me as I'm heading towards 80 but my son and grandsons have taken up the mantle in my place.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

You are nearly 80 but using tapatalk? Top work, sir. That's beyond me and I'm only 63. :thumbsup:

Two friends (who still come to games with me) persuaded me to visit the Goldstone on New year's day 1983. Albion v Watford dull 1-1 draw and I recall that a chap called Ward (on loan from Forest I believe) got the Albion goal.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was 28 newly divorced, had moved to London and started a new job, one of my colleagues there was a young chap called Hugo, well known to this board, and still a good mate the best part of forty years later.

At work one afternoon he asked me if l fancied going to watch a football match that evening. Where I asked? presuming he would say one of the London clubs. Brighton he replied, I'm a big fan. Don't worry he said, we'll drive down after work and can be there in time for kick-off, then l'll drive you home after the game.

I went. It was a Second Division match versus Carlisle United at the Goldstone under the lights, 1984/85 season, and we won 4-1, l seem to remember Danny Wilson bagged a couple of the goals, but my memory may be decieving me.

Anyway l loved it, Hugo said to me, we are at home to Wolves on Saturday, fancy coming again? I went. This time is resulted in a 6-0 victory, and l was hooked, in no time at all l had bought a season ticket, and was regularly travelling to away games too.

The rest as they say, is history.

R.I.P. Mr.Robertson Senior.

You're right about the Carlisle match. Early February 1985. The following Saturday was a 1-0 home victory over Cardiff City. We did thrash Wolves though, 5-1 in the May.

My Dad took me to my first match. 2-1 friendly defeat to Norwich City in May 1977.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
For me, it was around the early/mid 70s. A friend of mine at primary school (Annecy, Seaford) took us to a game for his birthday. We were at the front of the East Stand and I remember getting fish and chips in West Street after the game. And his Uncle was an ex Albion goalkeeper, Brian Powney.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Commiserations. LR Snr had a good innings I guess/hope. . . . . My first game was late 70's, I don't recall exactly, but it was the golden era, as was, I was 8 I guess, and at least once a full kit wanker for a midweek evening game, and bloody frozen come full time! . . . Picked up in a beetle by my Dads mates from Worthing/Lancing on Shoreham High St, then dropped off and my mum marched me home to bed on the houseboat, and sleep as it was a school night. It was a big deal at the time! my mum and step dad were not into football in the slightests. My dad was more of an egg chaser in his yoputh, but took me himself a few times after that ( Man City 4-1 anyone? ;-) ) as he worked for Seeboard in Worthing and they had season tickets in the south stand . . . But Norman and Mose were confirmed East Stand regulars and happy to relieve my mother of the duty until I was old enough to go on my own/with mates, which amazingly was about aged 11-12.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
1975 friendly home to Wolves. My Dad

So sorry to hear your news [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
My Dad hated football but took me and my brother to Albion vs Sunderland on 25/02/1978. Eric Potts (as a sub) scored two very late goals to secure a 2-1 win, both of which we missed as my dad made us leave 5 minutes before the end! He never took me again, but that was the start for me. He died 13 years ago at a mere 68.

My sympathies to you.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Brighton v Southampton not sure what year but Sammy Nelson played for us and we lost. My Uncle Ian took me, we stood in the chicken run.

Sorry to hear about your dad [MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION]

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire

My Dad took me to my first game in 1970 at Mansfield - although he wasn’t a Brighton fan he was pleased I supported the team of my birth.

He passed away 3 years ago - almost to the day.

I hope you celebrate your father’s life well.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

exactly 6 months before you.

Brighton v Walsall 28 February 1968, my 9th birthday, Dad surprised me, was watching Casey Jones on TV, he came home from work and told me we were going.

Jul 7, 2003

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Your first game was only a few days after I was born. The first game I was taken to was May 3rd 1976 against Sheffield Wednesday when we won 3-2 to get promotion. I don't remember too much and it wasn't until September 1977 when I next went and then was hooked and hardly missed a home game for the next seven years until I started playing Saturday football myself.

My dad is 80 next year and lives up north now but still wears an Albion hoodie or polo shirt with pride.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Condolences to you. Sorry for your loss. Like many it was my dad. It would have been late 50's, aged 4 or 5, but no idea which match. He loved the Albion till the day he died. He used to push me under the turnstiles at the North West corner, no charge, then I watched from his shoulders. In turn, it was his older brother took him in 1926 when he was just 13. Sadly he was never sure of the opposition.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Sorry for your loss Lamie.
My old man wasn't really bothered about football but followed The Albion because I did.
PC Acton, Who was our primary school football teacher, took the primary school football team to the Goldstone in 1972 v Huddersfield (1972 won 2-1).
from about 76, 3 or 4 of us 14 year olds would get the bus to Worthing and Train to Hove every home game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here