Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fires

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Aviation is moving towards carbon neutral and should be there by 2050. As technology advances it may even be sooner. Guessing you're happy to trash the economy of certain countries till then from the comfort of your homes. Also guessing that you walk or cycle everywhere, have solar panels and heat pumps at home and don't eat meat. You also make your own clothes because the fashion industry is the worst polluter.
....and dont have children.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's been a big knock on affect for other flights around Europe.
My nephew was supposed to return from Barcelona to LGW last night on an Easyjet flight, kept getting delayed timings and eventually cancelled.
A lot of pissed off people I gather.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Aviation is moving towards carbon neutral and should be there by 2050. As technology advances it may even be sooner.
You believe that? What have they done?

The shit their aircraft spews out hasn't changed and their hope is that a new fuel will reduce their carbon output by 65%. That's like my daughter's latest diet, it has very chance of succeeding. The airlines also want the government's to help them, that will never happen.

It's so far just a fanciful project with little substance.

I was an aircraft engineer for 20 years and while the engines did become far more efficient they still produce between 2.5 and 3.5% of all damaging emissions in the world. Also as they are not added to countries outputs they are not measured the same.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dont you drive a landrover?

Not really the most environmentally friendly car?
I've reduced my use by about 25000 miles per year in the last few years.

I haven't been on a plane in 25 years. Apart from the odd weekend away I haven't been on holiday for 20 years.

And no I don't own a Landover it's a Rangerover

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I've reduced my use by about 25000 miles per year in the last few years.

I haven't been on a plane in 25 years. Apart from the odd weekend away I haven't been on holiday for 20 years.

And no I don't own a Landover it's a Rangerover
Apologies, still not vert friendly on the environment

Why are you not driving electric?

Every mile driving spits out fumes.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I always thought it’s better to holiday by the coast. Much less chance of fires . Most seem to start in woodland .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The fact is nothing is happening to stop global warming, when people try and get something to happen (JSO) they are jailed or beaten.

Gatwick is trying to double the amount of carbon it produces with another runway.

We are doomed.
Just give everyone 4 hours of tax free flying each year, after that you pay a hefty carbon tax. Will put a lid on things.

Polluters pay, time to use our Brexit freedoms to deliver something positive

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

I seriously looked into it but where I park my car is not close to the house and I don't have any power nearby. I did have a hybrid but again the journeys I do make, it rarely used electric.

I've stopped going to the supermarket and have it delivered and always choose the electric delivery van option. I also grow my own veg etc. I believe we need to go back to eating seasonal food and stop the need to import stuff from around the world. I do eat meat but sourced locally usually from the local farm shop.

I do attempt to do my best in reducing my carbon footprint, sure I can do better.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just give everyone 4 hours of tax free flying each year, after that you pay a hefty carbon tax. Will put a lid on things.

Problem is carbon tax does nothing unless it is directly used to change things.

I know currently the ULEZ expansion is causing loads of issues for all political parties but something needs to happen to show it is a progressive tax/cost. If town/city council's start to charge all cars as they enter the area but in turn offer free at the point of use public transport then people will think twice about driving. If carbon tax was seen to be used directly to all public transport, trains, electric buses and so on then it will get more support.

If they offered a public transport season ticket that was set at a reasonable price that enabled you to use any train or bus whenever you wanted many people would give up their cars.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

why give any tax free flying? yes, if we want to be serious a large carbon tax is needed. if its not >£100 likely not make much difference to volume.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
60% of the World's carbon emissions are produced by China, USA, India, Russia and Japan.

The UK produces 1%, so no matter how well intentioned and proactive we are, it's a pinprick in the Global problem.

The five countries, above, need to take matters seriously to make the difference, but I can't see it happening with three of them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thank God we left the EU and don’t have to have these European fires foisted on our sovereign nation.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

You're better off keeping your current car for as long as possible in almost all cases

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thank God we left the EU and don’t have to have these European fires foisted on our sovereign nation.
Oh I agree, us pushing the jet stream down south has kept us safe.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But we're all still flying to our European tour, European tour, destination, right?
Precisely. And we’re all hipocrites. This is essentially the problem in a nutshell. We can all make excuses why we must do things, have right to etc. The cost is however the planet we live on. So eventually when the bills must be paid to Mother Nature, billions of us will face unprecedented levels of misery and/or death. And there’s nothing anyone can realistically do about. Beyond control. So enjoy life before more of those bills arrive, which in fairness, have started to as we see increasingly each year.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The planet is literally on fire. It’s on fire and we are still arguing the toss about whether to stop petrol cars in 2030 or 2040, whether a football team should be jetting around the globe, and whether throwing jigsaw puzzles on the court at Wimbers is a justifiable response to everyone ignoring the undeniable fact that we have broken the planet and we can’t now repair it.

There is absolutely no hope. Game over.

Reactions: A1X

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Where does electricity come from? Renewable accounts for 38.9%

Mining cobalt for the batteries
Is mining lithium bad for the environment?

The Environmental Impacts of Lithium and Cobalt Mining ...

Though emissions deriving from mining these two elements are lower than those deriving from fossil fuels production, the extraction methods for lithium and cobalt can be very energy intensive – leading to air and water pollution, land degradation, and potential for groundwater contamination

That's ok because it isn't in the UK
Half of the world's cobalt originates from the Democratic Republic of Congo, while Indonesia, Australia, and Brazil make up the lion's share of global nickel reserves, and South America's 'Lithium Triangle' consisting of Bolivia, Chile and Argentina hold 75% of the world's lithium.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here