Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fires

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So it's started Boohoo my holiday is f***ed up where's the tax payer when I need to get me and my family home.

So the news is all about us Brits seeing a fire yet f*** all about the disaster facing loads of locals. Pitiful crap I don't want my money going on a single Brit on holiday but happy to help locals suffering the fires.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I agree that the locals who are watching their lives and their livelihoods go up in smoke should be our first priority, but I also think it’s possible to have some sympathy for families and people who have perhaps been looking forward to what might be a rare break away.

The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive. I really hope that everybody’s been able to get to safety, the fires can be brought under control, and that those affected can rebuild.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree that the locals who are watching their lives and their livelihoods go up in smoke should be our first priority, but I also think it’s possible to have some sympathy for families and people who have perhaps been looking forward to what might be a rare break away.

The two don’t have to be mutually exclusive. I really hope that everybody’s been able to get to safety, the fires can be brought under control, and that those affected can rebuild.
Yes but all those there on holiday are part of the cause. All those aircraft chucking crap out of the engines causing global warming. Selfish.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is Hurst Green on fire?

That's against the laws of human nature, that is.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes but all those there on holiday are part of the cause. All those aircraft chucking crap out of the engines causing global warming. Selfish.
Lot of those locals are reliant on tourism too though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

we have to decarbonise, unless its holiday time ???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Is Hurst Green on fire?

That's against the laws of human nature, that is.
No I'm safe for now.

I'll be rightly pissed off if my runner beans catch alight. Mind you my chilli's are getting rather hot.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Agree, has to be remembered that the tourist industry adds millions to the local economy. The recovery once the fires are out will rely on tourists. I was in Pefkos only last year and would go back again, fantastic place. Hope they all get through this safely.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Spent loads of time on Greek Islands and a lot on Rhodes/Lindos. Big wildfires fanned by meltemi winds are really commonplace. Once, years ago, when backpacking, we camped on a beach for four days and watched the scooper planes landing all day, everyday, trying to quell a massive wild fire on the hills. Greece really can burn in the summer and this exceedingly hot period is unfortunately proving the point.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Agree, has to be remembered that the tourist industry adds millions to the local economy. The recovery once the fires are out will rely on tourists. I was in Pefkos only last year and would go back again, fantastic place. Hope they all get through this safely.
Tourist industry causes the huge fires by chucking crap out the back of aircraft engines. That's simply the problem the collective people of this planet have.

What do you want? More weather induced incidents such as the fires or for us to collectively grasp the nettle and change our NEED to have fly off over the world to relax around a pool while the town burns.

I'm also questioning the need for English based clubs travelling across the ocean to play each other over the USA other than for greed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
So it's started Boohoo my holiday is f***ed up where's the tax payer when I need to get me and my family home.

So the news is all about us Brits seeing a fire yet f*** all about the disaster facing loads of locals. Pitiful crap I don't want my money going on a single Brit on holiday but happy to help locals suffering the fires.
Sigh…I have to agree. There’s something so utterly Brit Abroad about the latest ‘…and I wanna know wot the Government’s gonna do about it’ episode overseas.

Sadly all too predictable. Every year’s the same. As always, no shortage of stereotypes wanting to tell their (yawn) story. Usually with a baby that has a name spelt incorrectly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Tourist industry causes the huge fires by chucking crap out the back of aircraft engines. That's simply the problem the collective people of this planet have.

What do you want? More weather induced incidents such as the fires or for us to collectively grasp the nettle and change our NEED to have fly off over the world to relax around a pool while the town burns.

I'm also questioning the need for English based clubs travelling across the ocean to play each other over the USA other than for greed.
Aviation is moving towards carbon neutral and should be there by 2050. As technology advances it may even be sooner. Guessing you're happy to trash the economy of certain countries till then from the comfort of your homes. Also guessing that you walk or cycle everywhere, have solar panels and heat pumps at home and don't eat meat. You also make your own clothes because the fashion industry is the worst polluter.

chickens

Oct 12, 2022

Absolutely agree re: aircraft/aviation, and it’s definitely a sector that’s tried to avoid scrutiny.

Having said that, there’s some promise being shown by green hydrogen, which (while it will have drawbacks in terms of plane capacity and range in its initial incarnation) will allow zero emissions flight. There’s commercial trials next year, with at least one airline aiming to start running them commercially in 2025 under the Ecojet banner.

I’m not sure we can or should try to stop people flying, but we absolutely should be insisting that we migrate away from planes that are chucking crap into our atmosphere.

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
we have to decarbonise, unless its holiday time ???

I know your tongue is firmly in your cheek, but the answer there is: No, we still have to decarbonise even at holiday time.

However, in the same way that I don’t expect a driver (or passenger) in a car to necessarily know how to remove the internal combustion engine and replace it with a zero emissions alternative, I do expect aircraft engine manufacturers to offer workable zero emissions alternatives to their legacy fossil fuel propulsion systems.

The need to decarbonise is not a surprise to anybody, and there aren’t any exceptions.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We could all see during lock down the world was starting to heal and repair itself. A huge apocalyptic event is required to wipe out 70% of the greedy population and let the other 30% slowly rebuild and do things differently. Of course it wouldn’t happen humans and greed go hand in hand unfortunately. Another 300 years on the situation will probably be worse after the rebuild. Give it back to nature it will look after the planet just fine.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
The fact is nothing is happening to stop global warming, when people try and get something to happen (JSO) they are jailed or beaten.

Gatwick is trying to double the amount of carbon it produces with another runway.

We are doomed.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I was a little surprised to hear that a team had been sent to Rhodes from the foreign office with some Red Cross personnel. I don’t know who was paying for the latter, but I might think twice next time someone shakes a Red Cross charity tin at me if I thought my money was being used to help rescue “Brits abroad” rather than help people a little less well-off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here