[News] Fires

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
We have no kids.
I got rid of my car 20 years ago.
We walk or use public transport.
We have no central heating (lucky to live in a flat that seems to be always warm - guess by surrounding properties).
Washing up (apart from the odd item) is done in cold water.
Shower only.
Haven't been 'away' on holiday since 2016.
We recycle as much as possible.
I still wear band t-shirts from the last 40 years, so very rarely buy new clothes.
I eat an ever decreasing amount of red meat, and adore lots of veg/salads.
However, I'm sure that a lot of the above would change, with a Lottery win. :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes but all those there on holiday are part of the cause. All those aircraft chucking crap out of the engines causing global warming. Selfish.
I doubt they really are.
One thing we need to establish is whether flying will be viable in the future. I suspect it will (provided we act to full effect in other areas). If it does continue, we will have to reconfigure things. 50% of the UK population don't fly each year, while the top few % fly pretty much every week, some in private jets (our players do, for instance). All you need to do is to tax more than one return flight a year (perhaps with a restricted mileage), and to make it even more expensive the more flights that are taken.
But, yes, the fires in Greece, Crete, Rhodes, Algeria, ... (currently) ought to make people reflect on what the political priorities are.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Just spoken to a mate that got evacuated from Rhodes. The army got them onto boats, slept on a school floor before making their way to Turkey to get a flight home, crazy!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Lots of British tourists arriving in Greece on small boats from Rhodes. Disgusting! Send them to Rwanda!

And as if that wasn’t bad enough, do-gooders are helping them when they arrive and assisting them to get to Britain despite Greece being a safe country! Outrageous!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The planet is literally on fire. It’s on fire and we are still arguing the toss about whether to stop petrol cars in 2030 or 2040, whether a football team should be jetting around the globe, and whether throwing jigsaw puzzles on the court at Wimbers is a justifiable response to everyone ignoring the undeniable fact that we have broken the planet and we can’t now repair it.

There is absolutely no hope. Game over.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/26/ufo-hearing-congress-evidence-david-grusch

Congress to hold hearing over claims US government has UFO evidence​

House committee to hear from ex-intelligence officer who claims the US has possession of ‘intact and partially intact’ alien vehicles

The extraordinary accusation that the US government is harboring alien space craft is set to be examined in a congressional public hearing in Washington on Wednesday, as a number of American elected officials appear more receptive than ever before to the idea that extraterrestrials are real.

It looks like Aliens will have to sort the problem for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here